1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just looking for some advice here.
Sled: 1996 yamaha vmax xt

I’m new to snowmobiling and have taken my vmax out for a couple rips with a decent amount of snow. However, the other day i took it out across the lake looking for ice fishing spots and got to the point where the temp light came on. I realized that the snow on the lake was crisp and hard from the wind. When i got back i noticed my track lugs were ripped under the rails. They are only ripped on one part of the track so I’m assuming they might have melted to the rail and them ripped off when i took off again.

anyways, I’m looking for some advice to wether the damage is enough for the urgent need of getting a new track. From what I’ve read and heard from people it should be ok for now, but will obviously have some effects on performance.

Here’s a couple pics for a better understanding.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Ceiling Composite material Silver Steel Cooking
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Snow Automotive engine part
Liquid Hood Water transportation Grille

·
Registered
154 Posts
the track looks to close to the heat exchangers. not sure if it's the pictures? Years ago I had my track stick to my hyfax with lack of snow when i was crossing the lake , but never there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
is the damage the same width as the heat exchangers? Looks like you’re bottoming the suspension. The Yamaha pogo vmax’s don’t have much to work with to starting out!! I’d look for rub marks in the tunnel... B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the damage the same width as the heat exchangers? Looks like you’re bottoming the suspension. The Yamaha pogo vmax’s don’t have much to work with to starting out!! I’d look for rub marks in the tunne
is the damage the same width as the heat exchangers? Looks like you’re bottoming the suspension. The Yamaha pogo vmax’s don’t have much to work with to starting out!! I’d look for rub marks in the tunnel... B.
Hi ,
Yes the damage is the same width as the heat exchangers.The damage is only on a chunk of the length of the track right now but only right under the exchangers ( the part with the pictures).
Maybe take a look at the changing the suspension adjustments ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the track looks to close to the heat exchangers. not sure if it's the pictures? Years ago I had my track stick to my hyfax with lack of snow when i was crossing the lake , but never there.
yeah the track is close to the exchangers compared to other sleds. Any specific adjustments to create more separation?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
track may have been run loose, or a combo of reasons. people do some amazingly stupid shit. big people riding double. you can run a track for a long time if you are gentle in the right spots.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Definitely make sure the coolant is full and no air pockets

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Track may have been run loose. But I agree it looks to be original 1996, so yes lugs are dry and fragile. I would run it for the year as you can't undo what's done and get a new one in the off season.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Dosnt look urgent need. A lot of track are notched for the heat exchangers even though your are ripped. My guess your suspension springs are weak and you are heavy and are bottoming out the exchanger on the track. The track clips look mighty fine for an older sled and missing one in the pic have they been changed. Get some new springs or turn the ones you have tighter if you can

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd run it thru the season. Just keep an eye on the rest of the track...damage is superficial. I had a 96 mountain max that looked similar. With 6" travel it doesn't take much to bottom out the suspension. B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
Seen track damage as such on many deeper lug tracks like 1.25'' and up from continuous high speed running on surfaces with poor lubrication/low snow. Didn't matter what track brand, but yokohama tracks were more prone.

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
Seen track damage as such on many deeper lug tracks like 1.25'' and up from continuous high speed running on surfaces with poor lubrication/low snow. Didn't matter what track brand, but yokohama tracks were more prone.
Forgot to add if this track was studded the damage may have been avoided.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You are new to sledding, so you just got this sled. The XT is the long travel skid Vmax. Couple things come to mind. Is that the correct track for that sled?,, If somebody installed a track that does not have the correct lug pattern to clear heat exchangers, this problem can result. I have put tracks on sleds and needed to cut the lug that was over the windows for this exact reason. The OEM track had open path over the windows. The track clips are very clean and new looking, something you dont find on a 25 yr old sled. JMO.

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
Track appears notched, but looks like its been run for awhile a tad loose by the heat exchanger grooves worn in where its been notched.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anybody had the skid out and possibly used the wrong mount hole in the back? Or it was run with a very loose track.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts