Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out wrench'in all day to change the track on my 03 F7 Standard. Putting a 1.375 lug with 102 1.5 studs on.

So, I made it this far:

1. Pulled secondary
2. Removed chain case cover, gears/chain, and bearing retainer
3. Removed speedo
4. Shoved drive shaft toward chain case and got one end out
5. ......aggravated

I can't seem to get the bearing off the chain case end of the drive shaft to pull the shaft and drive assembly out? Any hints?

·
Registered
289 Posts
LOL- I putting mine in now. I just ripped on the driveshaft back and forth giving it a slide hammer effect and that got the bearing off the chain case side. Once that is off driveshaft falls right out...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
might as well replace the bearings while your in there if they are the original ones.. the track swap is an easier job the 2nd time around.. if you use all the proper techniques!!lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might as well replace the bearings while your in there if they are the original ones.. the track swap is an easier job the 2nd time around.. if you use all the proper techniques!!lol[/b]
Yup...got right on that, and got a surprise. Apparently there was an update on the drive shaft bearings for the 03 F7. They got rid of the chain case side bearing with the internal race and O ring and went to a bearing with an "external" O ring. Just a heads up if anyone out there comes across the same. It really threw me when I pulled the old bearings off and went to install the new.

Little hint, when you put the external O ring on, put a little silocone over it to hold it in place before putting the retainer back on. :m2c:

T.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What??? Did you say chaincase side driver bearing there should be an o-ring on the inside of that bearing and an o-ring on the ouside of the bearing when you re-install the bearing retainer, you should also seal the drive shaft splines with some silicone prior to closing her all up or its going to leak.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What??? Did you say chaincase side driver bearing there should be an o-ring on the inside of that bearing and an o-ring on the ouside of the bearing when you re-install the bearing retainer, you should also seal the drive shaft splines with some silicone prior to closing her all up or its going to leak.[/b]
Chaincase side there should be an O ring on the outside (none inside) of the bearing.....the old style had an O ring on the inside of the bearing sealing it when slid over the shaft. Yes, silicone helps seal the splines, tho not necessary, but using some silicone to hold the O ring in place when you put the retainer back on is a good idea.

T.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chaincase side there should be an O ring on the outside (none inside) of the bearing.....the old style had an O ring on the inside of the bearing sealing it when slid over the shaft. Yes, silicone helps seal the splines, tho not necessary, but using some silicone to hold the O ring in place when you put the retainer back on is a good idea.

T.[/b]

bit random but what type of seat is on that sled?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bit random but what type of seat is on that sled?[/b]
2004 Polaris ProX. Did the mod earlier this year. Love it! I have a "how to" on HCS if you're interested in how it was done. Seach ProX Seat. T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts