Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please give me some tips on how to adjust my track. The track had gotten so loose that it has started to skip. And is there a special way do use the tool to loosen that large nut.

I also wanted to mention that i have lost a few bolts on the skid as well. I don't know what the proper name for the aluminum rodes that go between the rails is but that is where i lost the bolts.

And can anybody tell me if they are a standard bolt so i can replace them without going to my dealer.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Loosen the big nut with a inch and one half socket or wrench, kit in sled is junk. than tighten each side if the track the same number of turns and keep checking the tightness. Your sled should be on a stand when doing this. When you have about two finger widths of distance between the track and the rail with about 25 pds of pull that is about right. If the track wants to drift to one side or the other after you have tighten it, tight the side that it wants to drift toward. The bolts i think are 3/8 inch and are standard thread.not positive though. If you take another one out take it to a hardware store and match it. Good Luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Be careful about what bolts you use!!!!
The ones from hardware stores may not have the poprer tolerance (strength).
Buy from a dealer or at least a bolt supply store and tell them what you need. Remember you are putting lots of lbs of force on that thing.
Check to see if the updates were done.
Spend the extra cash and get proper bolts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The bolts take a 1/2" deep socket through the window, but you need a 1/2" wrench to hold the burr on the other end. I think what kingsnow means as "drift to one side" is that you need to measure the distance (usually use just your finger and feel between the drive lugs on the track and the rail buy sitting behind sled, and feeling both sides at the same time). If it is too far away on one side then the other, tighten the side is is farthest from. Little saying: "If its too loose (too much space between lug and rail) tighten that side." It is important to rotate track a few revolutions at a low speed each time you adjust the track. This sets the track so that it runs in the right spot.
For tightness, we use the "2 finger rule." This means, if you push down as hard as you can directly below the rubber stop towards the rear of the slide, you should be able to just fit 2 fingers in the space. However, we run studs, and don't want the track ratcheting, so this might be a little tight. For trail use, you can get by with a looser track. When its set, don't forget to tighten up the big jam nut!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by BrassMonkey@Mar 2 2003, 10:30 PM
Little saying: "If its too loose (too much space between lug and rail) tighten that side."
Another way to remember how to properly align track is this saying..... "Tighten the side it runs to". That's how I remember whick side to tighten to achieve proper track alignment.
-John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go to a hardware store and make sure to ask for "GRADE 8 BOLTS". these are hardened and have a higher shear point

1 - 7 of 7 Posts