Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1996 ZRT 600 with some TPS issues, cant start without full throttle... and keeps turning off mid ride once its warmed up. And I also cant stop the machine or it dies... I am looking for a semi in-depth guide on how to bypass the TPS sensor. Pics would be nice and w,e else please. Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think so havnt touched anything really, what do I need to check this? I called my sports center they said it was TPS but idk.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
On my Yami, The throttle cable needs to have some slack...I forget the measurement...pretty small tho. I believe there is also another sensor in the throttle block on the bars. When you press the throttle, it first slide in a slot on an angle...then puts tension on the cable. Both of these can affect it. On mine, there is a set of wires to pull at the carbs to bypass it. You'll here good & bad about doing that tho. Prolly safer to fix it right.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I'm no expert. But you can first look to see if when you press the throttle, it has slack in it before it starts to open up the carbs. Look at the throttle pivot pin at the bars...does it slide at an angle first, then pivot putting tension on the cable? I think if your carb slides are not seated all the way due to tension, no worky.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
You follow the throttle cable down to the adjuster nut above the carbs & can back off the jamb nut & turn the adjuster. As you do it you'll see the cable either get slack or get taunt. This is how to adjust the tension...not saying it is what's wrong tho. Did you have the carbs out to clean them recently? Maybe something happend then...dunno. Did the dealer say TPS would cause all those conditions you listed?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
How do I fix it than...[/b]
Does or has your sled sit in the rain for a long time? On that vintage cat the switches require continuity to maintain ignition. If there is any corrosion continuity is harder to achieve. Are you having problems with your kill button? Like having to slam it off? The kill button and the flipper safety switch are all one unit and they do wear out. However a loose throttle cable will show these symptoms as well. You are looking for .020 - .030 clearance between the flipper and the block. To achieve this, and sync your carbs at the same time, start by removing each one and twisting it out of the airbox boot. Loosen the locknuts on the carb caps (10mm) Run the flipper to full throttle and look at the carb bores, you are looking for the slides to go to the top of the bore. If your cables are loose, one or all won't make it. Now is the time you have to use your eyeball and take some time. Adjust the cable ferrules up until all slides appear as though they are to the top. Now let the flipper off, and watch how they move off idle, you want all three to move SIMULTANEOUSLY!!! Now check your gap between flipper and block, keep adjusting in this manner until you achieve the proper clearance. ...OR... disconnect the tpses and "hot wire" them back together just make sure to ALWAYS wear your tether because shit can happen.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You follow the throttle cable down to the adjuster nut above the carbs & can back off the jamb nut & turn the adjuster. As you do it you'll see the cable either get slack or get taunt. This is how to adjust the tension...not saying it is what's wrong tho. Did you have the carbs out to clean them recently? Maybe something happend then...dunno. Did the dealer say TPS would cause all those conditions you listed?[/b]
Yes! I did have carbs apart, and no my sled doesn't sit even in the snow unless im using it or gonna use it agian that day.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
It may not be a TPS problem.

Have you had the primary clutch rebuilt recently? Have you installed a new belt recently?

If your AC clutch has NOT been serviced in the last 3000 miles or so, you probably need to rebuild it. The bushings on the cam arms and the bushing on the cover may be worn enough that the clutch does not fully release. This puts the engine under load at the lowest point in the power band- idle. Does the sled bog on take off?

The screws that hold the cams may be worn also, as well as the shims on either side of the arms. This causes the arms to go out at an angle. The cams may have grooves worn in them that will hang on the rollers.

Check your driven clutch first before you pull the TPS wires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a 1996 ZRT 600 with some TPS issues, cant start without full throttle... and keeps turning off mid ride once its warmed up. And I also cant stop the machine or it dies... I am looking for a semi in-depth guide on how to bypass the TPS sensor. Pics would be nice and w,e else please. Thanks.[/b]
I think that it might be as simple as a kill switch on the throttle.

Look at the throttle on your handlebars. You will see a pivot point. That pin has a C clip holding the pin. There is a bushing that engages a switch. Its called an icing safety switch or something like that. Well there is a bushing in there. When the bushings wear out it will do exactly as your having. Hard start unless you give it full throttle and it will die for no reason.

Check it out. I had the very same thing happen on a my 2000 ZRT 800. It has to be the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts