Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any feedback from owners of this vehicle.
I’m looking to purchase this truck soon, will only be pulling a 7 x 16 trailer with 2 sleds....under 3,000 lbs. Truck is rated for 6,000 lbs.

Any feedback is MUCH appreciated !

·
Registered
839 Posts
One thing I have learned about imports vs domestics......After a few years in the great white north the outside of my Chevy still looks like new but the underside looks like it is 30 years old with rust and corrosion. Any import I have owned still looks like new underneath after the same time period. If Toyota ever gets their shit together and decides to go after the dominant domestic trucks they will produce a better product. Every new domestic truck I buy is never as good in terms of quality as the one being replaced. I will not ever purchase another GM product......Suck it Mary..! The only problem I see with the DC Tacoma is you don't have much bed........

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I think there great little trucks, I had a buddy(passed away a few weeks ago)
he used to get a new one every 2 yrs,and did this for about 15 yrs or so, he went off road a LOT, so always the TRD packages, and he leased them

other wise, the only flaw I see with them is there OVER PRICED for what all your getting
fuel MPG's are not really any better than on full sized 1/2 tons, tow rating as you know are lower and well, there just smaller vehicles when you get into winds and for stopping power of a trailer in motion!
they are GREAT off road and of those that only want a smaller vehicle, but if it was be spending my $$, I'd honestly be looking at full sized trucks, they just have more advantages when towing and well, more room in them period!

as for the rust side of things, here where I live, they ALL rust about the same
as a fact, my mothers Honda, 50,000 mile only on it, garaged most of its time when not is use, failed inspection due to frame rotting away and deemed unsafe!!

all maybe comes down to the need you have when NOT towing,
but you very seldom get any big discounts off on stickers on them and they are again priced pretty high for what they are IMO!

no bash here either, just being honest!
all the new 1/2 ton's with there 8-10+ speed trans are night and day different on power and fuel use than the older one's were! they came along way from the older one's many USED to have!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Not according to Car and Driver....A 4.5 out of 10
Few guys have them here at work.
Came from Chev and Ford. They're not going back. Love them.

Three brothers all have them. They run a fire extinguisher company and are in the bush steady working on equipment systems. Love them.
Little hard on fuel.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
7x16 open trailer or enclosed? Not enough truck for enclosed IMO. If you play your cards right you can lease a Tacoma so cheap it hardly makes sense to buy. you have to go through US Bank

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7x16 open trailer or enclosed? Not enough truck for enclosed IMO. If you play your cards right you can lease a Tacoma so cheap it hardly makes sense to buy. you have to go through US Bank
I have an 7 x 16 enclosed

Why do you feel it’s not enough truck ?
It’s rated to tow 6,500 lbs I believe, and my trailer with 2 sleds and gear will be less than 3,000 lbs.

Not challenging your statement at all, (I actually agree with you), would just like to hear your reasoning a bit more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD crew cab. It’s a cool truck and obviously super reliable. It is not overly blessed with power however. I tow my 2 place covered trailer with 2 sleds on board and that’s enough for that truck.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
One thing I have learned about imports vs domestics......After a few years in the great white north the outside of my Chevy still looks like new but the underside looks like it is 30 years old with rust and corrosion. Any import I have owned still looks like new underneath after the same time period. If Toyota ever gets their shit together and decides to go after the dominant domestic trucks they will produce a better product. Every new domestic truck I buy is never as good in terms of quality as the one being replaced. I will not ever purchase another GM product......Suck it Mary..! The only problem I see with the DC Tacoma is you don't have much bed........
This is funny because TOYOTA has had recalls on many years of tundras and tacomas where many of the frames get replaced due to rusting in certain places and the frames will actually break from it. Don't see that happening on the domestic trucks

·
Administrator
24,816 Posts

It’s rated to tow 6,500 lbs I believe, and my trailer with 2 sleds and gear will be less than 3,000 lbs.

Not challenging your statement at all, (I actually agree with you), would just like to hear your reasoning a bit more.
How much have you pulled that trailer loaded, on winter roads and what did you tow it with? Tow ratings don't mean the truck can "handle" that much weight. Especially on winter roads. My 718SE R&R has pushed the 1\2 ton trucks around that I've pulled it with. Just took the right amount of wind on a shitty road. Hell, I've seen my trailer push around an F-250 diesel before.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts

With tow ratings you have to use common sense. For example 6500# on a car trailer is going to be way different towing than 6500# in a big enclosed trailer that may be a giant wind sail behind you.
You can also bet the maximum tow rating is on good dry road conditions, not snow, slush, wind, and ice.
So those are two big factors there that throws out any manufacturer tow ratings.
Sometimes you have to go by the eye test. I wouldn't pull that trailer with a compact truck. In less than perfect conditions you will be wishing for more vehicle.
Compact trucks and SUVs I would limit trailer selection to clam trailers. That's just me. But it's something to keep in mind and a reminder about tow ratings being meaningless for your application.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How much have you pulled that trailer loaded, on winter roads and what did you tow it with? Tow ratings don't mean the truck can "handle" that much weight. Especially on winter roads. My 718SE R&R has pushed the 1\2 ton trucks around that I've pulled it with. Just took the right amount of wind on a shitty road. Hell, I've seen my trailer push around an F-250 diesel before.
I understand what you’re saying about ‘handle’.

This happened to me last year coming home from the UP in a notorious section for cross winds, and developing ‘black ice’

I had slowed down to 50 because I felt it, and was almost going straight when the combo of cross winds and black ice caused the trailer to slide out (tail wagging the dog), and was fortunate that I didn’t get into a bigger accident.

I know no vehicle will handle the combo of cross winds and black ice, I should have pulled over, and will next time.

I think this would have happened no matter what vehicle I was towing with....am I wrong ?

There were 2 other accidents behind me within 10 minutes before cops arrived.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is on the spec sheet:

Not sure exactly what the ‘Trailer-Sway Control’ does, but I’m educating myself.

I would guess other mfg’s have their style of this also. Checking it out.....

·
Administrator
24,816 Posts
I understand what you’re saying about ‘handle’.

This happened to me last year coming home from the UP in a notorious section for cross winds, and developing ‘black ice’

I had slowed down to 50 because I felt it, and was almost going straight when the combo of cross winds and black ice caused the trailer to slide out (tail wagging the dog), and was fortunate that I didn’t get into a bigger accident.

I know no vehicle will handle the combo of cross winds and black ice, I should have pulled over, and will next time.

I think this would have happened no matter what vehicle I was towing with....am I wrong ?

There were 2 other accidents behind me within 10 minutes before cops arrived.
A heavier tow vehicle, with a longer wheelbase and especially if it had actual snow/ice tires on it, may have been able to handle it. Black ice and wind is hard to handle though, no doubt about it. The Tacoma wouldn’t have handled it any better however.

·
Registered
40,368 Posts
Just bought a new 2020 tacoma this spring. Imo, my 2001 tundra was a better overall truck for towing or carrying sleds. The tacoma 3.5 engine is weak on the low end, and the auto trans can be a bit wonky, but likes to be revved where its happiest. It pulls my 2k lb boat ok as long as in the ect and s modes. Overall its been a good truck so far getting 22-23 mpg on a mix of city /highway driving. Btw, 6th gear is useless for anything but the flats, and this vehicle has way too much electronics.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see the ‘Trailer Sway Control’ works with the trailer brake system of the vehicle.

I don’t currently have trailer brakes on my single axle trailer however, so I’m sol on that. I could add em though....gonna look into that as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How much have you pulled that trailer loaded, on winter roads and what did you tow it with? Tow ratings don't mean the truck can "handle" that much weight. Especially on winter roads. My 718SE R&R has pushed the 1\2 ton trucks around that I've pulled it with. Just took the right amount of wind on a shitty road. Hell, I've seen my trailer push around an F-250
From 1988 till 2015 my personal tow vehicles have all been Chevy 3500 C.C. Duallys (8 of them) … My trailer of choice that whole time have been 7x16 Enclosed ( another 9 of those) That trailer has pushed my duallys around over the years in certain conditions. My suggestion, since you already bought the trailer, is to upgrade to a bigger truck than a Tacoma. Then install an anti-sway system on the tongue. Go to etrailers.com and do some research...

1 - 20 of 165 Posts