Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about setting the torsion adjuster blocks on different settings? Like, lets say position 1 on one side and 2 on the other. The reason I ask is that I seem too heavy for both to be on 1 and too light for both to be on 2 for the optimal ride.
Years ago the manuals for my 90's cats used to say that the adjusters should be set equal. Then the firecats said you could set them any combo as long as you were not 2 steps apart(1and 3 is a no no). Now on this new sled it explains 3 weight settings, but doesn't say you shouldn't mix like 1 left and 2 right.
Do you think it matters? Is the difference going to affect the rails or wear pivot points adversely? I know I may be splitting hairs here, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
21,251 Posts
I wouldn’t do it. Dremel/file the number two settings shallower, to be a 1.5? Buy/machine aluminum custom blocks? Gain 10 lbs? Drop 20?
I have set the blocks differently (one stiffer than the other) to help keep an ice drag sled going straight, while fighting other issues. So off setting the blocks like that does effect the pressure that the rails put on the track. Would you ever notice it in the real world in snow? Probably not. But I like symmetry and symmetrical forces

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the "gain 10#" option, now I want to go to 5 Guys.
Really don't want to invest in a Gortex fat suit tho...lol.
I do have aluminum blocks, machining position #2 down is simply brilliant!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I leave them the same, but I remember watching a video (can't find it) where some race team was talking about setting these, and he said in some cases you may like to have them both set differently. I would think that it's okay if it works for you. I can't imagine it causing any trouble. Might feel tilted on flat ground?

·
Registered
2013 f 350 crew cab long bed platinum
61 Posts
You can set one different from the other if it gets your desired settings.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can set them any way you care to, we have done it for years. On both the older restorations and Procross I use the NDZ Performance 4-position blocks for more options, To use them on the Procross I had to enlarge the I.D. of the mounting hole.

·
Premium Member
21,251 Posts
Although I agree, sure you can mis match your block settings, I’ll assure you all that if you set a Studded sled, on a hard hard packed trail, or ice, and set one spring block on 1 and the other on three, the machine will veer to one side, the side that the soft block is on, because the pressures through the rails will not be the same. That tight side is going to have more force. Twisting the skid, even if ever so slightly.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You can set them any way you care to, we have done it for years. On both the older restorations and Procross I use the NDZ Performance 4-position blocks for more options, To use them on the Procross I had to enlarge the I.D. of the mounting hole.
Just put NDZ’s on my 20 Thundercat, went right on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts