Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently this weekend my torsion bar snapped on me on my Prox2 800. I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to change it and what needs to be done to replace it. i figure the plates on both sides where the bar exits the belly pan need the rivits drileld out but is it held into the sled under the motor? would the motor need to be taken out to do it? also i have a ton of slop in the steering. i was reading that its the bushing at the end of the steering shaft but it also looks like it may be the first rod end on my sled too. are they possable to replace without the engine being pulled?
any help well be great.
thank you in advance.

matt

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Good luck on the sway bar. Yes, they are under the engine, and are boxed in with part of the bulkhead. If you don't want to completely tear it apart, then you will have to get an adjustable bar. I took mine out and am happy with it that way.

I don't know if you can do the bottom bushing with the engine in place - my guess is no. Besides, taking it out will give you a chance to inspect the mounts, clean things up and have more room to work.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Taking out the swaybar is pretty easy. Prop the sled up in the air, then take out the bolts where the trailing arm bolts to the tunnel. Next, drill out the rivets holding the swaybar into the bulkhead on each side. Pull those black blocks out. Now unhook the swaybar from the trailing arms and wiggle it out, it comes out fairly easy. You've gotta turn it one way or the other to find the exact way it comes out.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Taking a broken one out is easy. Putting a new one piece bar in isn't near that easy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i got the borken sway bar out. now i jsut gotta wait for the new one to come in. thank you guys. i took a closer look at the steering and there is no way to do it withoout removigt the engine. so thats gonna be a summer project since i only have 1 weekend left being a college student in FL.
my mounts are good. i already had to replace the front ones this season after the first ride.
thanks agan guys for the help!!

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
skip putting the new bar back in , change the two front springs to 150# per inch and call it done . I think in the end if your ride bumps hard you will like it better , it will not corner as flat but its still ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am an aggressive rider and hit jumps and go off the trails hitting jumps and such. i do find the front bottoming on me in the whoop sections.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I took the swaybar out of my Pro-X and I love it. Unless you ride TIGHT twisty trails all the time you don't need it IMO. I like the front suspension better without it.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
i am an aggressive rider and hit jumps and go off the trails hitting jumps and such. i do find the front bottoming on me in the whoop sections.[/b]

First off the proxR sleds NEVER had sway bars nor did any of the factory race team sleds. Sway bars do little to nothing to stop the front end from bottoming out haveing said that the factory spring spec on a 2004 prox 2 800 is 100# per inch strait rate , I suggested removing them and installing 150# per inch. See what i am driving at , this is a better set-up for some one that beats the crap out of a sled . stiffer springs with out the bar support the sled in a high load corners but are more forgiving when only one ski is loaded hard , with a bar the laod is passed off to both skis beating the rider up more .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats very intersting i never thought of it that way. where could i get the stiffer springs? and it wouldnt be worth it using stiffer springs andd the bar correct?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o and alot of the riding i do is VT riding which is twisty windy trails. but beating the crap outa the sled is pretty much what ive been told i do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts