Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell, January??? 30-50 homes flattened. Hundreds of houses damaged in Kenosha county 3-5 twisters. Thank god no one was killed but still. 3 different fire departments called for 5 alarms. I have never seen that before.

·
Premium Member
39,131 Posts
What the hell, January??? 30-50 homes flattened. Hundreds of houses damaged in Kenosha county 3-5 twisters. Thank god no one was killed but still. 3 different fire departments called for 5 alarms. I have never seen that before.[/b]
I remember a series of tornados in Southern Wisconsin in the 50's when a was a young kid, seems to me they were in Rock county.

Don

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In January?? I have never herd of a Tornado in the heart of winter. This weather is deadly, two dead yesterday because of fog in Madison.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I had just gotten home from work this afternoon when the tornado sirens went off. I heard the sirens and I thought they were maybe just testing them, but then I turned on the TV and saw that they had issed a tornado warning for souther Wisconsin and northern Illinois.
The storms passed just to the southeast of where I live. Its pretty crazy, but thats what happens when a warm front and a cold front meet.
As for the fog, yeah, it sucks. I was driving home from my 2nd job at 10:00pm tonight and even with the foglights on, I still couldnt hardly see where I was going. That accidents they had on the interstate are a shame, but thats what happens when people are too stupid to slow down.
I have to go to Janesville on Sunday to do some shopping and I purposly avoid the interstate because I was concerned about visibility. Im glad I took the backroads, because I probably would have gotten caught up in that mess on the interstate.
Hopefully once it gets cold again later in the week we can get some more big snowstorms and the trails will once again be ridable. As of right now, we are back to square 1. The base is gone and we are going to need at least 6" of snow before they will be ridable.

·
Premium Member
39,131 Posts
In January?? I have never herd of a Tornado in the heart of winter. This weather is deadly, two dead yesterday because of fog in Madison.[/b]
I remember it well, my parents talked about it for years, seems they knew someone whose home was destroyed. Last night on the news they said although it's rare for tornados to happen in Southern Wisconsin in the Winter, they said it has happened several times in the past, also said in Illinois it's more common.

Don

·
Registered
221 Posts
Coming back from Hurley yesterday, we past by a town on 50 just minutes after a tornado came through. Two different subdivisions were flat nothing but piles of wood. We even saw a truck with a 2by4 through its windshield on the side of the road. If we hadn't stopped for gas we would have been right in it. No fire departments were there yet, they still were rushing down the road. That’s how much we missed it by

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its just unreal that no one was killed. I think Kenosha county will be getting disaster funding. I was at Wheatland school waiting to get deployed to trapped people but everyone was OK. Very lucky.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I saw the pics of that neighborhood in Burlington. That was pretty brutal, I cant imagine coming home from work to see my house laying in shambles. I guess thats what happens when there is a big enough change in the jet stream to blast our state with warm air for a week. You get turbulent air that should not be here creating storms and often much worse as we have seen.

As UG said, its January and this is freak weather. I find it amazing how well we as Wisconsin residents have adapted to winter weather. If we have a big blizzard, its no problem, people expect that. But if we get 60 temps in Jan we have killer fog, tornado's, people dead, and 10's of millions of dollars in damage.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Its just unreal that no one was killed. I think Kenosha county will be getting disaster funding. I was at Wheatland school waiting to get deployed to trapped people but everyone was OK. Very lucky.[/b]

I went to that grade school!!!!! Didnt have to work today so drove up there, only live 10min. away i could not beleive my eyes......... Went into my dads back yard, and can see where it went through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts