Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 T-Cat with black magic pipes. Can anybody tell me what the rpm's should be? Im running about 8900. I think they should 8400-8600. Anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance. Dan

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have a 2000 ZRT 800 with a 1004 installed. The engine is stock except for Black Magic pipes, 2001 T-Cat stock muffler, V Force Reeds, 2,58 deg key and a Tempa Flow. Over the years I have tried running the engine from 8400 to 9000 rpm. It now runs the best from 8740 to 8760 and every now and then will over rev to 8800.

Auggie

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have an 01 T-Cat with black magic pipes. Can anybody tell me what the rpm's should be? Im running about 8900. I think they should 8400-8600. Anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance. Dan
I ran them for years on a built 1000 and 1100cc. Cat tachs are fast, so run it 84-8600. Anymore and your top end will drop off big time.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I use the Tach on my four window Digatron gage and when I ran the engine at 8500/8600 it would not have good top end. Running the engine at 8700/8800 I gained 9 mph. Just saying.

Auggie

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use the Tach on my four window Digatron gage and when I ran the engine at 8500/8600 it would not have good top end. Running the engine at 8700/8800 I gained 9 mph. Just saying.

Auggie
Did Jeff S. build those pipes for Tim back then when you were there...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I ran cpr's which are said to be the same,86 and build to 8800 on a cat tach worked for me.I geared down to 23/40 also,it is really testing for you;re sled to get the max out of it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I ran cpr's which are said to be the same,86 and build to 8800 on a cat tach worked for me.I geared down to 23/40 also,it is really testing for you;re sled to get the max out of it.
YES...Jeff Simon owned CPR...I remember him as a young kid when Olaf gave him his start...Wish I could find my pictures of the V-Max4 motor he made into a 6 cylinder...SWEEEEET...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a 2000 ZRT 800 with a 1004 installed. The engine is stock except for Black Magic pipes, 2001 T-Cat stock muffler, V Force Reeds, 2,58 deg key and a Tempa Flow. Over the years I have tried running the engine from 8400 to 9000 rpm. It now runs the best from 8740 to 8760 and every now and then will over rev to 8800.

Auggie
Auggie did you ever ride and compare the two tachs?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The analog and digital tachs are usually close but the digital tach gives you 100% accuracy. The digital tach will give you an accurate read out when you first punch it but without a playback function or a "hold highest rpm" function you'll never see the rpm flash when you first punch it. Many times a sled will actually flash 100-300rpms too high when you first punch it even when you have it "clutched perfect" and then it quickly settles back down. Find an open field and a digital tach you can watch/read and go tuning.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have gotten my fastest speeds with a slight overrev on the stock Tach. If you pause at 39 secs you will see the tach at just under 9000 somewhere about 8800 I figure with the speedo past 6 oclock.
2002 T-Cat, Ceramic coated BM pipes, 25-39 gear with reverse. 1" hacksaw 192 Woodys SS. Garmin GPS mph.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The analog and digital tachs are usually close but the digital tach gives you 100% accuracy. The digital tach will give you an accurate read out when you first punch it but without a playback function or a "hold highest rpm" function you'll never see the rpm flash when you first punch it. Many times a sled will actually flash 100-300rpms too high when you first punch it even when you have it "clutched perfect" and then it quickly settles back down. Find an open field and a digital tach you can watch/read and go tuning.
understood I am chiseled on ice so we have very good conditions.There is a lot to be said how some test and tune .I like to go when there is no one there and have the strip to myself.I picked up some [email protected] mod pipes to go along with my overzealous port timing so I have work to do.There seems to be many opinions on these tach calibrations and I would just like to see a vdo vs stock in action.Feelnthunder that is a strong run with reverse.I am working on removing mine this year and cant wait to see the difference.I picked up a old panther with reverse just to drag the t/cat off the trailer, I am getting old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts