Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,680 Posts
How about the guys that break down and then are not only NOT surprised but say “ya I knew that (the part that broke ) was in bad shape “ we have weeded out the non maintainers from the group
Yup, been there. I always tell everyone, be sure your machine is looked over good. 2 years ago we took our trip to hayward. A new guy, to a friend of our group. A 4 hour trip from my house. Guy brings his 1996 ski doo formula. We are out riding, he fould plugs 3 times each day. Back up to the 2nd day, not only is he fouling plugs, but a gas line started leaking on his sled. I was loosing it by this time. I asked him did you go through this sled or have a mechanic look it over. He said no. He also said that the sled has been fouling plugs all year, and that he knew the fuel lines were bad. Nice..... ha? You could say my trip was not fun.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
430 Posts
Had two brothers show up two hours late one time to go riding because they decided to get haircuts.
The rest of us decided to leave at 5:30AM the rest of the season and told them if they weren’t there we’d leave without them. They never made it to the lot in time. They sold their sleds at the end of the season. Problem solved.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Leader of the group after an all day ride in an unfamiliar area, has us at the furthest point from where we were staying(90ish miles)... at bar time. Oh well!

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
i had another "extra" jump on , he looked so familiar . finally i asked and he said i knew his dad, and they looked a lot alike. i look at his sled, it's the same junk ski dog his dad couldn't finish a ride on. we get going at tug hill , and we are rolling. i waited back for him, he comes up with a frozen single shield. says he can't steer. i said let's tip it up and check the carbides. they were fine but the spindles were seized. you could barely move it. the rest come back and i looked at the guy that brought him, and said "check that out" . he looked and realized he should not have added the "extra". i used to tell anyone i was riding with in the morning. go home and go to bed. you'll be fresh , on time, and not get any extras at the bar. i like a small crowd. then we can crank

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
the guy who has to hit every big drift or try to climb the unclimbable and were on the hook constantly digging him out.

the guy on the 1st gen rev with the 8 inch diameter can and 10 inch riser that thinks hes blair morgan.

painfully slow guy that almost makes your sled overheat cause you cant even get enough speed to operate correctly in a trail just wide enough for 1 sled.

anyone that complains its too cold and wants to head back

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i had another "extra" jump on , he looked so familiar . finally i asked and he said i knew his dad, and they looked a lot alike. i look at his sled, it's the same junk ski dog his dad couldn't finish a ride on. we get going at tug hill , and we are rolling. i waited back for him, he comes up with a frozen single shield. says he can't steer. i said let's tip it up and check the carbides. they were fine but the spindles were seized. you could barely move it. the rest come back and i looked at the guy that brought him, and said "check that out" . he looked and realized he should not have added the "extra". i used to tell anyone i was riding with in the morning. go home and go to bed. you'll be fresh , on time, and not get any extras at the bar. i like a small crowd. then we can crank
Had a kid last year in Old Forge like that. To his defense he just bought the sled and it was his first sled and didnt know anything about sleds. It showed 620 miles on the odometer but you could tell had been on an open trailer everywhere it went. We were with the "family" group so there was no hard riding anyway. I either lead or ride last, so I was last following behind this kid. We're doing 20 mph and the ass end of his sled is all over the place. It was a 380F so im pretty sire it wasnt him goosing the throttle. finally we stop at an intersection and I ask him if everything is ok with his sled. He says "I think so, but it steers a little hard". I grab the bars and it took 2 hands to turn them and they sounded like a dry u-joint when its at the most seized point. Took it back to camp and tried to get penetrating oil in all the moving parts. made it better but still not good. By the end of the season he got rid of the sled.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
No 4 strokes no double riding 2 ups. No Tracy's who need to be able to get to a bathroom in 20 minutes or less.
And yes.... we have had a relative ask if that's possible. No we don't ride with them lol.
Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Bathroom??? the couple we ride with the girls figured it out and can piss almost as fast the men, only difference they are making sure there is TP available.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bathroom??? the couple we ride with the girls figured it out and can piss almost as fast the men, only difference they are making sure there is TP available.
always carry some TP in a sandwich bag in my glovebox, its warm and dry if you need it

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,397 Posts
imagine some brown on your fingers on the side of the trail. you would be glad for the glove:LOL:
I was riding with a buddy last year who had an "incident" on the trail - we stopped at one of the local camping out houses where he could take care of things - he came out of there and dove into the snow right away and asked if I had any soap! I just got on my sled and rode away.....

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I was riding with a buddy last year who had an "incident" on the trail - we stopped at one of the local camping out houses where he could take care of things - he came out of there and dove into the snow right away and asked if I had any soap! I just got on my sled and rode away.....
hence the nitrile glove

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
imagine some brown on your fingers on the side of the trail. you would be glad for the glove:LOL:
A few years ago in Ontario we stopped for lunch and I had poutine. Poutine has never bothered me but there must have been something wrong with this poutine. about 20 minutes down the trail after lunch I started getting cramps, then cramps so bad I could barely stand it, followed by the "feeling" that something is coming out no matter what you do. I tried riding standing up, half off the seat both sides, nothing helped. So I finally get to spot where I think I'm safe and start looking for leaves, because I wasn't going to have time to get a sock off. I stepped off into the snow and was in it almost to my waist, dammit!. so I climbed back onto the trail and all I could find was a dead plant next to the trail with about 8 tiny dried up leaves on it. Threw my jacket on my sled, dropped my bibs and let it rip. I had so much gas it came out with such velocity I didnt have to worry about getting any on me, but it looked like a bomb went off behind me. I always carry TP with me since that episode!

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
i see this thread taking a bad turn but, i had eaten a subway sandwich on a tuesday, and it blocked me up solid. dr said it was from the yeast in the bread they make. any way i had a 3 day trip for saturday. by then i had not gone in 4 days. i go anyway and sure enough it happens. i pull over , run off trail, same thing, armpit deep. took off my jacket and threw it on a sappling that just fell over and my jacket was gone. which had the tp in the pocket. i was only 2 ft from the trail but had no choice. i finally get it done and crawl back on the trail. my buddy is laughing his ass off, and all i could say was "what's for lunch?" as i stopped eating thursday

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
a few others, what about the one's that complain its too cold
or conditions are not good enough for them.

or not enough money, or didn;t bring money,, and your always having to pay for there things while riding, with IOU"s that never get paid back

always loosing things or leaving things behind and having to back track!

never does any off season maintenance!

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,328 Posts
I've had a few good ones over the years that have happened to me.

One was when i went riding with a guy who lived on my street. He drove a Buick LaSabre and towed a open two place trailer. It was awesome (not). On one trip he had an old Excel IV he rode. It was a real POS sled but that was basically all that was available back then. Junk. I had a 87' Plus and it was so much better that I'd leave him behind. He was pretty pissed about it and the next year he bought a brand new Polaris with that extra 12 suspension. It was the 580 one. He rode it for a few years but hated it and went back to a Yamaha. He put 20,000mi on that sled. Used to take January and feb and ride in Quebec and stayed there basically the whole winter. But on the one trip we went north to Marienville Pa and rode the "loop" with his Excel. And something I ate didn't agree with me. I was rumbling and miserable and had a temperature and was sweating profusely under the helmet and snowmobile clothing. By the time I was at my worst we were over 100 miles from the car one way. It was the pits. I visited every bathroom on the ANF loop on that trip and I basically almost "died". And anyone who has had this happen knows exactly what that means. After that trip I rode with him a few more times but that "spark" of fun wasn't there with the guy for some reason. When you have a good riding buddy it just clicks.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts