Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed my exhaust today and had a look at my pistons and cylinders. No cold seizing evident seems to be some slight scatch type marks on cylinders -may be normal?? Pistons have brown blow by on them down to just below the rings is this normal ? Had already turned up my oil pump 3 turns and still oil ratio was over 80:1 so turned up two more turns today - 3 threads still showing but only 1/2 turn left and it botoms out.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i did the same thing today, i have 800 miles.
my pistons looked like coffee stains ,
about 1/2 inch below the bottom ring.
other than that they look great. my plugs were black,
like the inside of the pipe. (i run klotz oil)
i use a little over 1/2 quart of oil in ,
100 miles. i think i will leave it the way it is.
also i checked the belt(cat brand)
and it was just about ready to blow,
i was coming apart.
no other problems. B)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Took my first look at 1400 miles when the oil pump update surfaced, same thing "coffee stains" or blow by just below bottom ring.

My ratio was acceptable although when testing I was doing mostly big trails at 7K plus. Did the update anyhow and haven't noticed any difference other than the sweet smell of Klotz :wub:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by alleycat@Feb 27 2003, 10:48 PM
also i checked the belt(cat brand)
and it was just about ready to blow,
i was coming apart.
Check your belt deflection and alignment, every F-cat I have checked needed shims out of secondary and shimed back out square with drive clutch. You will notice a perfomance gain too ! :D

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know if the coffee stains (blowby I guess) on the pistons is normal or does this indicate a bad seal ??

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
yea guys i forgot to mention yesterday.
i called 4 dealer's just to be sure.
they all sead the same thing.
it is mormal to have some blowby.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Almost 1300 miles on mine and just pulled the pipe. Oil update already done, currently averaging around a 54:1 ratio. Pistons looked great (better than my ZR 600 at same milage). Very few to no visable scuffs and none than could be felt. Rings looked like the were very well seated. The "blow by" most of you are describing I think is normal, it has been on every sled that I've ever owned to some degree or another and does not in and of itself indicate any problems. The crowns of the pistons have a perfect light coffee color (except by the intakes) and there are no signs of pitting or detonation (so I would say mine has never run lean). What really suprised me were the cylinder walls; I could still clearly see honing marks. Just for shits and giggles I check the compression. Cold motor, 125 #'s right on the nuts for both cylinders. For reference, my gauge (a Napa pro model) seems to run about 10-15#'s light. For example, my ZR always showed 110-112 #'s on my gauge but my dealer and my buddies gauge always showed 122-125 #'s (which is spec). If this is still true (no reason to think its changed) my cylinders are probably between 135-140 #'s but they are EXACTLY the same in both. Also, I'm running Spectro Sno Syn and valves were very clean (pulled those as well) so while oil ratio might be little on the high side, I'm leaving it alone. :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts