Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted my toe settings awile back and had a chance to test them yesterday afternoon in the UP.In all the talk earlier in December about the Ackerman theory and the lack of it on the F series got me thinking.If the inside ski needs to turn sharper than the outside ski while making a corner to effectively turn,then by putting more toe out into the front ski's,wouldn't that help the ackerman effect? Think about it,if your ski's are toed out,and you begin to make a turn ,the inside ski is already tring to turn that direction while the outside ski is just straighting out,thus increasing the rate of ackerman and making the sled turn better.When I adjusted my toe I set them with 1/2 in toe out,measuring at the front and rear of the saddles.What a major improvement!!There were still a few icy corners that the sled pushed through but I'm still on my stock carbides,and have yet to install the 6 in shapers.On the hardpack this setup just railed the corners with very little inside ski lift.I should also mention that I tightened the limiter strap to the middle hole,coupling blocks on 3 and all5 spring as loose as poss.I weigh 175 and it is a snopro F5.Back to my original intentions of this post,is 1/2 toe out hurting anything that I'm overlooking.I dont think it's effecting top speed as I hit 90 with a little bit still there,but sure helped at lower traillike speeds,absolutely NO darting at all,even on decelleration.I'm definitely on the right track,as the machine and I are becoming one on the trails! :D :D :D :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been saying since october that this chassis likes toe-out. :D

Too much toe-out will affect top-end a little, and will wear carbides faster, as they are being dragged sideways to a degree. 1/2" measured at the saddles is a lot! I'm running 1/4" at the saddles which works out to 3/8" at the front and rear of the carbides. Check what yours is at the carbides. You might want to back it off a bit and see if you loose any of the good steering by doing that. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll recheck at the carbides,adjust if needed,hopefully put some more miles on this weekend.Rob- what noticable effect did moving the front arm back do for you?ride quality? handling? take-off? Thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
4 Posts
moving the front arm back really softened the ride. Probably too soft for most guys. Really turned the F7 into a trail machine though..

I'm going to try a few different things if we get any snow from this storm.. Right now everything is just ice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts