Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but none of the "tomtom" type navigation GPS units have the ability to collect track data. As far as I know they are good for road navigation, and that's about it.

With my Garmin 60CSx, it records a "trail" as I use it. New Year's day we put about 60 miles on and when we were done I was able to look at the GPS and see exactly where we had gone. Can't do that with a tomtom.

ALso, I don't think the tomtom units are waterproof and would be much more delicate with the touch screen and less rugged case.. and you won't be able to hear them yelling at you while on your sled to turn left at XYZ street! lol

Really, I have found that with the right software, my handheld 60CSx will do pretty much everything the tomtom will as far as road nav, and much more! The only thing mine won't do is speak at me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, well, I know they make one that is for bikes/cycles that is waterproof. I just wondered how they were different than the mainstream garmin types. I presume no topo maps could be used on them. I suppose they're better for car/road navigation while the others are better for offroad nav....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you're pretty much correct.. although I will add that with my garmin 60CSx, it will navigate the roads just as well as the tomtom if the garmin has the city navigator software installed. The only thing I'm lacking is the touch screen and the garmin won't yell at me to turn.. it beeps when I get close to the turn, and a different beep when I actually have to turn.

I was going to get another GPS for the car until I tried the 60CSx and decided that the tomtom kind don't get me anything I really NEED.

The 60CSx does it all for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts