Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys I am a 15 year veteran of the Yamaha brigade but I can't help but be intrigued by these ne Firecats. I have read thru all the forums and problems and such and I was just wondering if you guys would buy them again and are they worth the troubles you have had with them. You have to admit the Yamahas have great fit and finish along with extreme reliability, but they have nothing snopro style our for someone who likes to ride extremely hard by sx is beating the hell out of me compared to the rev's and cats etc. So what do you think make the switch to Cat possibly a REV or stick with what I have and buy some suspension things for mine. Basically are all of you HAPPY with the FIRECATS as I am looking at a leftover 03 F7 tonight.

Thanks For your time. Jamie

·
Registered
369 Posts
You can't make your Yami ride anywhere near like an F7 no matter what you do. I would buy. Now, you should be able to find some GREAT deals out there (I have seen $5,000). The 03 and 04 F7's are exactly the same except for some updates (that can be done to your 03). The ONLY problem that sparked all the questions on here regardign engine issues was related to oil pump inconsistencies. Some have had 0 problems and some people siezed a piston. Right now, there is a temporary fix and a permanent one coming. Cat WILL stand behind any F7 they sold that might have these related problems in the future.

Remember, they sold like 18,000 F7's so the complaints would be higher because more were sold. Mine is awsome with no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your reply. There has to be more happy fircat owners out there I want to here about how you like your cat??

Thanks Jamie

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I love my F7, its an amazing machine.... i havent had any problems or bad luck with it ( lucky maybe ) - i drive it hard like it was stolen, its fast, light, fun and downright scary at times.

04 may have more of the bugs that some experience worked out.... and a used sled is always scary..., great for climbing, dragging, trails, jumping, not bad on gas or oil but not as good as yamahas power valves..... i was on a yammy also, i would never go back

but to be safe, extended warranty ( i got the 4 years )

hehehe

go cat!

·
Registered
82 Posts
jamie,i have a f5. 3000+ miles. you will love the sled.the more i ride mine the more i realize how awesome the new generation of sleds are. once you get used to the narrow tunnel,you will ask yourself how did i ride those wide and heavy sleds of yesteryear.make the jump YOU"LL BE GLAD YOU DID!!!!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Almost 2000 miles now and liking it more and more every ride! Will buy another Firecat, but will proberly wait till '05. I don't mind riding this '03 another season. :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally posted by zl5600@Mar 5 2003, 02:08 PM
cc: Whats your milage at now. Diddn't you show almost 10,000 miles a while ago?
not me, i have about 1500 - january and february were to cold -40C + wind.... so i just race on sundays. Getting warmer now so the riding starts sooooooon

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought 2 new sleds this year. A F7 Patriot edition for my wife, formerly known as Yama Mama and a Green F7 Snow Pro for myself. My wife swore she would buy a cat since she was a solid Yamaha rider, previously rode a VMAX SX700 all tricked out. She took a test ride on my brother in laws ZR800 Sno Pro and changed her tune about looking at Cat. We have had her sled for 1 month and about 800 miles and she still has a smile on her face just looking at the sled. She is a religious Cat rider now. I am a little concerned with the number of problems that Cat has had with these sleds. I can deal with suspension quirks and the like, but the oil injection system is the heart to these sleds and I am not crazy about the Stint that Cat has put in the artery of these new sleds. I bought extented warranties for both of these sleds and hope ALL of the fixes are covered and reliable fixes. This includes the fix for the icing up of the running boards.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi JamieG,

If you don't mind a comment from someone kind of in your shoes...
I do not currently have an F7 yet, but I have worked out a deal to get one on layaway. I hate interest payments.

I also needed to update my sled. I am brand loyal to Cat, so my choice would have been the F7 or the ZR900.

I also wondered about the problems and updates that could be an issue with the 03 FireCats.

My conclusions that led me to buy a FireCat were,
1. Everyone seems to really love the Firecats that they have even though some have had problems requiring an update.
2. Most, if not all of the problems have been identified and have either been fixed, or will be fixed with an update that's available.
3. Many of the earlier buyers of the 03 Firecats had to get the updates as they became available, which may have meant that they experienced a problem while riding, and had to wait for a fix. If you were to buy a new "left-over" 03 FireCat, all of the currently available updates can be done before you even ride it, so you do not have to deal with those issues that some Firecats had.
4. I believe the FireCats to be so far ahead in design compared to the 02 models that getting the 03 ZR900 would have been a mistake if indeed I am looking for something "new generation".
5. And this I already knew, Arctic Cat riders are the best group of riders there are and this forum is a good example of that.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Jamie-I have over 2300 trouble free miles on my F7 and I only had the handlebar riser update done so far. I will definitely be buying an '05 Firecat. I was thinking about an '04 but not much has changed. Hopefully in '05 I can get a Firecat with direct drive, electronic reverse and the seat that is on the '04 SaberCat. This is by far the funnest sled I have ever ridden and it has been just as reliable as any sled I've ever owned. B)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I only have ~600 miles (all trouble free) and the more I ride this thing the more I fall in love with it! By far the most fun sled I've EVER ridden! If i were in your shoes, I'd seriously consider an 03 for the price alone. One of the other guys said it best- since it's new and already at a dealer, they should have all the updates done already (or at least know about them.) At any rate, i really love the way this thing rides. I've never been more impressed each time I ride it. My vote is for the 03...besides, i like the 03 graphics more!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have an F7, about 900 miles on it. Never had any problems that left me anywhere. One hose clamp was loose, dealer put on a new one. Had all the updates done. Have ridden on smooth trails, bumps, twisties, and lakes. The sled is just great all around. Have seen 110 mph on the lake.

It has been kind of a pain, because I have been back to the dealer about 5 times now, because of the updates and the delay with the reverse kit. But I would rather be going back and getting things corrected that could cause a problem, instead of having the problem.

With the 04's they should be great right out of the box. Plus, you have more options for comfort with the Sabercats, or the choice of EFI and Carb with the F6 and F7.

It is a great time to be on a Cat.

Good luck with your decision. But unless you don't like fun, I think you will like the Firecat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts