Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a bought myself a project,,, 03 zr900,,2300 MILES on it,, took it for a rip up the field,, tops out at 40mph,,, get back to shop,, pull plugs ,to my surprise the end is broke of the plug wire up in the boot,,so there is part of the problem,,then pto side 124lbs,, other one 134, I am new to the zr, but i know i have to check valves, probably never cleaned,, then the compression issue ???,, you guys fill in the blanks,,, any other suggestion would be nice,,, thanks

STEVE

p.s forgot it has a black magic head on it ,,so i dont know what other engine work has been done to it,, I am trying to find out!!

·
Premium Member
20,861 Posts
Get it running on both sides and check that the valves open and that it will rev to 7500 or so. 7400-7700 is good. If not pull the gummed up or stuck valves, look in at the pistons while the valves are out and then replace the weight bushings/pins in the clutch. Take light if you do not have clutch tools and look down beside the weights, the weights should be centered in the spider and not rubbing or chewing it. Clean the carbs too.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Looks like a bought myself a project,,, 03 zr900,,2300 MILES on it,, took it for a rip up the field,, tops out at 40mph,,, get back to shop,, pull plugs ,to my surprise the end is broke of the plug wire up in the boot,,so there is part of the problem,,then pto side 124lbs,, other one 134, I am new to the zr, but i know i have to check valves, probably never cleaned,, then the compression issue ???,, you guys fill in the blanks,,, any other suggestion would be nice,,, thanks

STEVE

p.s forgot it has a black magic head on it ,,so i dont know what other engine work has been done to it,, I am trying to find out!![/b]
-remove / clean / service both clutches
-install torque arm (Sno Tek on mine)
-align clutches
-set belt deflection
-clean valves
-install valve shims (do a search in the forum for info) / pull Y-pipe to check the pistons closely for possible damage from valve contact.
-set exh cables to spec
After it's up and running properly recheck compression.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I finally got to try out the BMP mod to the 900. Pipe mod, head mod, FV-III's, gutted airbox, 26/40 gearing and clutched it around that. I went with 58 needles, 450/460 jetting and it all out rocks. Pulls hard (and thats an understatement) and I got 3 sled lengths on my stock zr900!I highly recommend this set up. The best thing, it looks completely stock.

·
Premium Member
2021 SB 850 Pro-S 2016 SB 800 Pro-S
4,620 Posts
Where did you find snow?

·
Registered
546 Posts
hehehe, I can ride in Grand Forks on the River, or head up to St. Thomas ND. Still looking for an all out long WOT run but Im sure it will be just fine. I had this set up just over the 100MPH and it was still pulling when I ran out of
strait-a-way on the river. If you want to trailer up let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.