Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i previously had a mod sled, got rid of it and bought a stock 03 pro-x 700
i love the just gas it and go and don'y worry about jets or anything
some mods i used to love others were a pain.
But it seems everyone with a p-x says the airhorn kit by slp is a must???
almost like 0 trade-off 100% gain. any falsifications to this??
what happens to jetting? i was gonna go down 1 form stock regardless, 0-3000 but some extreme colds are likely like -20F. just wondering why i t wasn't like this stock??? anyways any sugg. clarifications would help

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
your going to get a long list of do and dont's when it comes to a big block air box and this year sled...... mine is gutted, some say you loose a few hp in the mid range... I cant say for sure yes or no , I can say its 100% not a problem with breaking down as long as your running snow filters on the air box . I run 430 mains on my 700 with a tempaflow , its still 1 jet size to rich.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I stage tuned my 700 and found a difference with the air box gutted. I now run a modded box (my own mods, not a SLP kit or anything). I would say if you only plan on riding the sled and not playing with it and racing you buds, I would just leave it alone. If you looking for or need a little more power, it's a good place to start. As usual jetting is based on YOUR motor under the conditions YOU ride. You might have to adjust the mains, but that should be the only thing. Not too many people seem to find a need to adjust the needle or air jets.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The airbox on pro x is restricted something terrible. The airhorns arent any bigger around than a nickle. Its a wonder they run as good as they do. I used the slp air horn kit on my 03 pro x 600 and it really cleaned up the running quality. I kept the stock 440 mains and rode in temps to almost -20 with no problems. You still use the foam at the air intake so there is no snow that gets to the carbs. IMO there is not a downside to this mod. You get a little more intake noise because all the restrictions are for noise reduction only. :div20:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by pol600x@Sep 16 2005, 07:09 AM
The airbox on pro x is restricted something terrible. The airhorns arent any bigger around than a nickle. Its a wonder they run as good as they do. I used the slp air horn kit on my 03 pro x 600 and it really cleaned up the running quality. I kept the stock 440 mains and rode in temps to almost -20 with no problems. You still use the foam at the air intake so there is no snow that gets to the carbs. IMO there is not a downside to this mod. You get a little more intake noise because all the restrictions are for noise reduction only. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=877506
[/quote]
what he said!!!! we dynoed mine first with just a cut head 127 hp, took shelf out redynoed 133hp free 6 hp. no big mout kit just took shelf out.03 pro x7.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
unfortunately Polaris is using airbox vacuum to try and regulate jetting, a piss poor attempt to simulate Ski-doo's DPM system crossed with the RMK HAC system. it works alright as long as everything stays pretty much the same. a leaking airbox to carb seal, clogged prefilter, etc. really kills performance. the other reason for the shelf is silencing the intake noise. since most guys go with aftermarket cans, who cares about intake noise (it is'nt that bad)?? pull the shelf and run the SLP single pipe, you won't need to change jetting from stock and it'll run to -30F from 0-3000ft. the jetting is not as forgiving with big alt changes with the shelf removed. since you are only operating in a 3000 ft range, i'd yard it and enjoy the throttle responce. Brian.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I am running 420 jets, will I need to rejet if I pull the shelf.

Where was the 6hp gained, high or low end.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by redxcr440@Sep 17 2005, 01:43 PM
I am running 420 jets, will I need to rejet if I pull the shelf.

Where was the 6hp gained, high or low end.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=879141
[/quote]
peak hp. not sure on jetting. some guys claim they jet down they say it makes it richer

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by nhrev@Sep 17 2005, 06:51 PM
So can I save $40 and just pull the shelf and get most of the gain the slp kit would have given me???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=879407
[/quote]
depend on who u ask. look at the size of the hole in the top of the airbox. then look at the size of those little airhorns. i think by the size diff there is a lot more flow there. same shit on my 01 xc 7 big bore. motor choked on the dyno with it in took it out and it screamed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmmmmm seems like a lot of debate about this, so removing just the shelf doesn't create turbulence in the box???(for noise only) Also i can't check right know but can you reach your hand through the opening?? If not on the slp top? if so i think i might get the slp box just for this feature of ease of getting the airbox in w/out knocking the boots off. What anout flowrites? neccessary

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,206 Posts
Heres what I did. Take out the shelf and air horns. Put in the SLP kit. The opening multiplies by 1 1/2 times the stock size. When you put the intake duct on the air intake opening, on the bottom of the hood, you can make the opening in the hood 1/2" bigger all the way around for more air flow. Just cut the plastic with a dremel or exacto knife. Take off the underhood shelf and you will see walls blocking the air flow on both sides. Cut them out. Now you have over 4 1/2" of air intake on both sides of the shelf. By doing this, you will not have to cut holes in your cowl to put Flow-rites in it. I put pre filter material on the intake foam on both sides so no powder can come in. Now your sled will breath as good as it can without sucking in any unwanted items. I also installed a Tempa-flow and picked up over 1 1/2 miles to the gallon more than stock. I have a 04' XC800 and with this set up, running 430 mains, I rode in Canada at -25 farenheit with no problems what so ever. I have an aftermarket muffler on the sled and I cannot hear any additional noise from the air box mods. Do it and enjoy.

:div20:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Guy's, gal's too, if there are any, give me a couple day's, maybe a week (might have to wait until next weekend). I'll take pics of my air box, and show you my "secret" mod work on the air box. No SLP kit needed.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I personally like the xcr air horns on a new shelf. Very quiet and acts like ram air on the top end. Polaris was on to something in '01 with the long plastic air horns but the were too restrictive, the xcr short rubber air horns do a great job!
While the air is stirring on this subject does anyone want to go to the ported intake boots with V-force reeds?

·
Registered
522 Posts
was reading spring snow goer. dynotech shootout on dealer improve best 600 xc were they did clutch, jetting and took tables out of air box and sealed box shaved .413 seconds off et. just wonder how much taking table out helps?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts