Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Where/When/What exactly is tip up town? Ive heard of it and seen some videos looks like a big drag race or something? Can anyone fill me in, im from wisconsin and coming to live in michigan for the rest of the winter, maybe i can take a day and head up and check it out hopefulyl with my sled in the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Where/When/What exactly is tip up town? Ive heard of it and seen some videos looks like a big drag race or something? Can anyone fill me in, im from wisconsin and coming to live in michigan for the rest of the winter, maybe i can take a day and head up and check it out hopefulyl with my sled in the truck.[/b]

Click here can explain it best.

By the way, How'd you do at MTU? Hope it wen't well.

-Duane

·
Vendor
17,630 Posts
Where/When/What exactly is tip up town? Ive heard of it and seen some videos looks like a big drag race or something? Can anyone fill me in, im from wisconsin and coming to live in michigan for the rest of the winter, maybe i can take a day and head up and check it out hopefulyl with my sled in the truck.[/b]
The best way I can put it is a drunkfest. They have a ton of stuff for families and the fishing derby but the beer tent is always the most popular.

Not my gig....

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Click here can explain it best.

By the way, How'd you do at MTU? Hope it wen't well.

-Duane[/b]
MTU first semester went awesome. Met/made a lot of new friends, did pretty well at school, go myself an internship as a freshman, cant say anythign went bad. The only bad thing i see about leaving, is leaving my roomate (emptypockets) up there with no one to ride with all the time. But, ill be up there in the summer to catch up to sophmore status, i think that will be a ton of fun itslef anyway.

The best way I can put it is a drunkfest. They have a ton of stuff for families and the fishing derby but the beer tent is always the most popular.

Not my gig....[/b]
I see, well ill play it by ear for now. Wether or not i feel like making the trip up there or not that weekend will probably be the deciding factor. But, I surely cant wait to make the trip up there for the houghton assualt ride...it should be a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
The best way I can put it is a drunkfest. They have a ton of stuff for families and the fishing derby but the beer tent is always the most popular. Not my gig....[/b]
Drunkfest is being too kind. It's more like idiotfest and drunkfest rolled into one! The only reason it has been allowed to continue is because of the money it typically brings...period!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Drunkfest is being too kind. It's more like idiotfest and drunkfest rolled into one! The only reason it has been allowed to continue is because of the money it typically brings...period![/b]
I agree 100%. The only reason we go is so we can ride the kids on the lake, and I'm never on the lake after dark. As soon as the sun starts to set, see ya later.

·
Vendor
17,630 Posts
Drunkfest is being too kind. It's more like idiotfest and drunkfest rolled into one! The only reason it has been allowed to continue is because of the money it typically brings...period![/b]
My bad...thank you for correcting me Evil. :smilielol:

I agree 100%. The only reason we go is so we can ride the kids on the lake, and I'm never on the lake after dark. As soon as the sun starts to set, see ya later.[/b]
We are off the lake and off the trail by Sundown during T.U.T., a lot of guys will ride down from various areas and spend all day in the Drunk Tent :linemup: and then they have to get back.....BY TRAIL!! :banghead:

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Where/When/What exactly is tip up town? Ive heard of it and seen some videos looks like a big drag race or something?[/b]
It's a huge snow festival lasting an entire week. It has family activities (rides, petting farm, parade, ice slide, games, etc.), softball, old sled races, Polar Bear Ice Dip, as well as fishing and various contests. There is an adult beer tent located offsite and away from the family area. We have gone both weekends every year since the 90s, and my kids have a blast. We've never had an incident of any sort, though we don't go to the adult area. TUT closes at 4pm each day, plenty of daylight to get back to the cabin. :div20:

:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes, Im usally out there fishing, but not in a white shanty anymore, as it looks too much like snow, and when the sledders are going 100 plus, they might take you with them, got a blue one now, that way hopefully they will see me, and not t run over me, but they really need to change it to feb. sometime, as there are times like this ,.that is does not look good for much ice. seem someone always get hurt drinking and driving up there every year. so please be wise and play it safe

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I would put alot of reflector tape on a shanty, and yea, white probably isn't a good color!! Was it two years ago, when they had a 1/2 mile swath of open water on the lake? We've only taken the sleds a couple times, usually go by truck. :div20:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
yes, open water, and two guy drown in it, going at night one made it across by hittin the gas ,others slowed down and didnt make it. go watch out on lakes

·
Premium Member
2022 VR-1 850
4,029 Posts
I love tip up town, I just don't go to it.! :div20:

It used to be a neat place to go and hang out, but in the last ten years or so, it has morphed into something much darker and sinister. The drunks and all that they bring , seem to have taken over what it used to be IMO

It is the two weekends of the year when you can pretty much expect all of the drunk riders to all be in one location, which leaves most of the rest of the state fairly free of such troubles!

I remember reading a stat a few years ago that said that someone dies every weekend of tip up town, every year, from some form of alcohol related foolishness.

IMO if you are in the twenty something or even thirty something crowd and are looking to meet up with all of the "pretty" "posers" that only go up there to drink and get stupid in the beer tent and the bars and then afterwords go out and ride your sled all tanked up, then it might be the scene for you. But if you are looking for good trails to ride on in the winter this is not the place nor time to go.

On the other hand I have heard that the family events can be kinda cool if that is what you are in to! Seeing how I am not a family man myself, I do not look for those kind of distractions , so I can not speak to what those activities are like!

See D's post for that info! :div20:

But seeing how you are still in collage, I kind of doubt that that is what you are looking for! :dunno:

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
yes, open water, and two guy drown in it[/b]
And they were locals that KNEW about it... :banghead:
I remember reading a stat a few years ago that said that someone dies every weekend of tip up town, every year, from some form of alcohol related foolishness.[/b]
I'd like to see that stat, as I do not recall that to be true, at least since the late 90s. :dunno:
But if you are looking for good trails to ride on in the winter this is not the place nor time to go.[/b]
Agreed, if for no other reason than the amount of people... snow gets beat quick. But last year, we were DUMPED on the night before, giving us over 8" of fresh powder... the BEST riding on the lake I've seen since I started going there! But TUT isn't really about riding... it's about the festival. :div20: The beer tent is an aside for the non-family types...
See D's post for that info! :div20: But seeing how you are still in collage, I kind of doubt that that is what you are looking for! :dunno:[/b]
:div20:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Actually we have had some of our best trail rides around H-Lake on Tip-Up town weekends. Hardly anyone out on the trails. Just get out early and make sure that you get off of them by 4pm or so. Most of the people are out on the lake getting stupid or sitting on the sidelines bitching about all the people on the lake . I think it was 1995, rained for 6 days straight the week before TUT. Rain changed to snow about noon on Friday. Took off for a ride to Leota,Sat Am. Freshley groomed trail with 0 traffic. Great ride!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sure hope there is ice and snow. I know nowadays they have all the festivities on shore. But just isn't the same. I remember 2 years ago there wasn't any snow on the lake but there were people riding anyways. I left my sled at home because I dont run studs so I would have been stuck. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.