Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I installed one, to advance timing which way does the key go? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
It's been a while since I installed one, to advance timing which way does the key go? :dunno:[/b]

The best way to put a timing key in is to open it up, walk into your kitchen and throw it in the trash can.
Bad gas once and your engine is junk!!!

You are going to get a bunch of guys on here say .. I ran one in mine for a cazillion miles and never had a problem.

I am a mechanic and can't begin to tell you how many trail engines I rebuilt from a key and took the key out and put the stock one back in.

They work great in a race sled when they are off and on, a trail sled always pops them in the mid range
Buy one, blow your sled up... It good for the economy that sucks right now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to advance the flywheel clockwise with the key.[/b]
Yes that is what I thought but I wasn't sure.
It has been 5500 reliable miles on my 2000 T-Cat with 01 engine & electronics since I installed one in a next to new engine. I put in a 2 degree key from Black Magic and it is the one decideable thing that finally got me over 120 mph.

I don't have to worry about a bunch of guys going a cazillion miles. I only have 5500 miles worth of experience and that is enough for me. My plugs and domes always looked great. I am a pretty fair engine mechanic myself. I don't have EGT's but I have never had a problem with the midrange lean spot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I guess maybe I will be OK since the econmy does not suck so bad in Canada :) :) :flag_canada: :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Yes that is what I thought but I wasn't sure.
It has been 5500 reliable miles on my 2000 T-Cat with 01 engine & electronics since I installed one in a next to new engine. I put in a 2 degree key from Black Magic and it is the one decideable thing that finally got me over 120 mph.

I don't have to worry about a bunch of guys going a cazillion miles. I only have 5500 miles worth of experience and that is enough for me. My plugs and domes always looked great. I am a pretty fair engine mechanic myself. I don't have EGT's but I have never had a problem with the midrange lean spot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I guess maybe I will be OK since the econmy does not suck so bad in Canada :) :) :flag_canada: :) :)[/b]

I just sold my red sled, pictured below to a guy out side of Toronto, He has logged over 800 miles miles on it since he bought it 4 months ago, it had 700 on it when I sold it.
He called me Friday as said he just poped that one.
Stock bore, stock heads, stock compression, no key, the jetting has been the same for 1500 miles, I told him he got bad gas so He drained his tank and had and sure enough, it had water in it as he went to a hole in the wall gas station and made it about 50 miles toward home when it quit.

I am not ranting, I am just trying to save you a lot of grief.

It's not if it will blow up, but when????

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just ran the last 300miles on a 2degree key, Im switching back to stock to see if I can really feel a difference....that and sometimes the quality of gas at some of the northern stations can be suspect. When I build my machines I go for reliability over performance......the other way around we all know can be costly!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just sold my red sled, pictured below to a guy out side of Toronto, He has logged over 800 miles miles on it since he bought it 4 months ago, it had 700 on it when I sold it.
He called me Friday as said he just poped that one.
Stock bore, stock heads, stock compression, no key, the jetting has been the same for 1500 miles, I told him he got bad gas so He drained his tank and had and sure enough, it had water in it as he went to a hole in the wall gas station and made it about 50 miles toward home when it quit.

I am not ranting, I am just trying to save you a lot of grief.

It's not if it will blow up, but when????[/b]
Just goes to show you that bad gas is bad gas. Nothing to do with a key. I have had water take out a cylinder a long time ago. Always run isopropyl. Water in the gas isn't as bad as really old gas.

thundercat900, I go for reliability also myself. As long as no one passes me. I heard the old 900's were more advanced on their timing then the 1999 & up but I don't know for sure. I know a guy running a 4 degree in their 2000 T-Cat CDI.

·
Registered
827 Posts
thundercat900, I go for reliability also myself. As long as no one passes me. I heard the old 900's were more advanced on their timing then the 1999 & up but I don't know for sure. I know a guy running a 4 degree in their 2000 T-Cat CDI.[/b]

LOL I hear ya bro.....ya the 93s are the only year with the 'hot box' and the timing is already aggressive on them. Not too familiar with the newer ones tho.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
2* key in my 2000 Tcat and one time at 1/4 throtle very cold morning the middle hole went tight , 3000 miles since the key went in . more timing more cyliner presure more power! I've always ran regular fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts