Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curiuos to learn what is open and what is closed this year. From 84 N is there access to Tim Pond Rd?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
None. Both closed at least for a while. Logging...and wardens are said to be patrolling it.

Its a bummer since it is a game changer for Rangeley....but the logging companies hold all the cards. People riding where they shouldn't and parking where they were asked not to last season closed trails already there this season.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup that is a bummer. I don't understand why people would trailer out there, park their rigs and jam everything up.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Yup that is a bummer. I don't understand why people would trailer out there, park their rigs and jam everything up.
Because its easier for them to get in and out of the back country, and they don't give a fuck about the rules. Rangeley is one of the few clubs in Maine that actually promotes off trail riding, its too bad people couldn't be responsible enough to not screw it up.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It is privately owned by the lumber company so I dont recall.

You mean like No Trespassing signs ? Thankfully none of those yet that I have seen passing across there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I CLEARLY saw NO PARKING signs on the Morton Cutoff 2 weeks ago and both my reading and eyesight are limited.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
It is privately owned by the lumber company so I dont recall.

And That’s all anyone needs to know. It doesn’t need to be posted “ no parking” because It’s private land. Back before everyone and their brother was riding backcountry it was “understood” that if you were in those areas you shoveled your own spot to park off the side of the road and didn’t ride on the plowed roads and it wasn’t a problem. It’s not an off trail problem, it’s not a long track problem, and it’s not a tourist problem. It’s an entitlement problem. 3/4 of the people riding out there never contribute anything in return to the clubs in that area. If they had, they would have known this was an issue and done something before it was too late. They’ve been warning people up there for a few years that this was going to happen if people kept doing it. It’s no different than the trail burners showing up in town to ride before the trails open, which was another issue in that area earlier this year and it’s no different than ripping aimlessly across someone’s field that is clearly marked with stakes for snowmobile travel. Entitlement and greed will ruin this sport long before Fatbikes and tree huggers ever do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
so if there is a plowed road out in the middle of nowhere with no signage on it then people are just supposed to know not to park?

where i come from if parking is not allowed there is a sign telling that. no signs its fair game but don't block the road or park in a sketchy spot around a corner or over a hill

·
Registered
317 Posts
For 1 this is a private road so no signage is needed. 2nd all of the rigs were blocking the road and logging trucks couldn’t get through. It looked like a regular traffic jam.

·
Registered
629 Posts
so if there is a plowed road out in the middle of nowhere with no signage on it then people are just supposed to know not to park?

where i come from if parking is not allowed there is a sign telling that. no signs its fair game but don't block the road or park in a sketchy spot around a corner or over a hill
Seriously??? You come from BOSTON .... where they put an Orange Cone or Plastic Milk Crates to designate "No Parking" !!!! :roflmao::laff::lol3:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
There is a reason many of us Mainers see some people from certain states as thinking our state is their private playground and we often feel they don't care less about any damage done to our state or its landowners or our access while they play by their own rules....wherever they feel entitled to play.

You need a sign posted to show respect to private Maine landowners ? Bummer.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts

It’s not allowed to park on any plowed thruway or snowmobile on any plowed road on logging company land without specific permission. It’s actually illegal. They have just been nice enough to look the other way until it became a serious issue with people not doing the right thing.

Your argument about signage holds no merit as it is private land. That’s akin to you parking your trailer in your neighbors driveway without his permission. Just because there’s no sign in his driveway telling you not to park your trailer there doesn’t mean you have the right to do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
It’s not allowed to park on any plowed thruway or snowmobile on any plowed road on logging company land without specific permission. It’s actually illegal. They have just been nice enough to look the other way until it became a serious issue with people not doing the right thing.

Your argument about signage holds no merit as it is private land. That’s akin to you parking your trailer in your neighbors driveway without his permission. Just because there’s no sign in his driveway telling you not to park your trailer there doesn’t mean you have the right to do it. :thumbsup:
how do you know its a private road though if theres no sign? Theres dirt roads all over maine not all of them are private.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Tax map of the area is a great place to start. Or you could ask someone locally who owns the land. There are several large timber company’s in the north Maine woods. They sometimes have maps on their websites of the land they own as well. Pretty sure the state has a map of all state owned land also.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Bottom line is if you want to ride in the backcountry it’s best to have a deck and find a spot off the road to park. You will normally not have an issue if you do that. It’s when there’s 10 trucks and trailerS lining the sides of the road making it dangerous for loggers to pass. They’re usually hauling ass too because they aren’t expecting anyone to be parked on the side of the road. It’s not that they don’t want people there it’s more about safety. And having one extra obstacle to deal with. Time is money.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
The clubs that promote off trail can be helpful too. RLSC has been dealing with this issue for a couple years. It’s $30 to join the club. Even if you don’t Trail ride it’s worth it. Or check their Facebook page for notices about stuff like this. A lot of times the clubs or local businesses will tell you where you can and can’t park and where you should and shouldn’t be riding.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts