Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
wood tick or deer tick? was it still small, or full of blood? Watch out for those deer ticks, I got 2 of them on my back when I was grouse hunting 3 years ago, and the bites still itch once in a while. the first 18 months was the worst. it was an oozing sore for at least 6-months. Allegedly I was negative for the Lyme disease parasite, But the antibody test was borderline so they medicated me to be safe, I found out I am allergic to deer-tick saliva, thats why it took so long to heal.

I hate them F-ing things. I would rather get bit by a dog!! At least you can feel the wood-ticks crawling on you, the deer-ticks are too small and light to feel them cruising around.

be careful, Do not let the dog in the bed, if there was one, you can bet there are others.

Do you keep firewood in the house?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a wood tick.

My dog is a very light yellow lab. We could see it crawling on her when she came in. It had not burrowed in yet. Between my two labs we probably pulled off 500 wood ticks and at least 200 deer ticks this summer, it was crazy. That was with front line on. Generally we couuld see them on top of the fur, but at times they would get inside and do their thing. Yeah I hate them too

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is hard to see them crawling on my pooch, German Shepards got a dual layer coat and under that thick outer hair is light fluffy stuff like goose down. Frontline works real good on him though, it must be the hair that helps keep it on till it soaks in. I might find a tick a week now instead of 20 a day. and this is an indoor dog, he only goes outside to hang out with me.
I quit taking him hunting because of the ticks. And he was a great grouse dog, He Does not point in the classic way, but he does freeze when there is a bird, and pounces when he gets the command to "get-em". Brings them back without a toothmark in them too.

I am planning on getting a "Rhino-skin" body suit for turkey hunting this spring, Allegedly skeeters and ticks cannot penetrate this stuff, but it has an insulation factor of ZERO! no warmth to it, just protective. So it can be worn on those warm days without getting hot. This fall out deer hunting with the bow, I removed at least 30 deer ticks crawling on my pants, that red spot on their back makes them stand out a bit on Camo. I tuck my pants into my socks to keep them from crawling up my legs. Could you imagine trying to pull a tick out of your sack? OUCH!!

Have you treated your yard for ticks ever? I put down an insecticide each year 20 feet out from the house. it knocks down the tick's real well. it is a granular application. I forget what brand it is though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts