Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh: Cruising through the trails in Bracebridge Sunday morning, and the Police had a check point set up on the trail complete with radar guns !! One member of our group has a mach Z with an after market exhaust, not deafening loud but has a nice " crackle " tone at idle. The cops waved him in and fined him $110. The police here are now taking a zero tolerance to loud cans. Just wanted the Ontario riders to have fair warning :ph34r:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Vermont has the same law.....ANY aftermarket exhaust is illegal....along with headlight covers.....I am torn on this issue. Along with many others....I love the sound of throaty aftermarket exhausts....especially on a big bore triple. However....when as a land owner you grant permission for a trail to go across your land.....and an 800 twin or triple goes across your meadow 100 yards behing your house at 8000 rpms at 11 pm when your trying to sleep....then I can understand the laws. While I love the sound...I feel that these exhausts can cause problems.....and are definately causing more curfews on trails in Vermont

·
Registered
348 Posts
GreenmtnF7, I asked the State Police and VAST about the exhaust law and they said:
It is against Vermont law to sell a replacement exhaust system that exceeds the manufacturer's original equipment specifications. Violation of this law will result in a fine of $300 for the snowmobile operator and a $300 fine for the person selling the illegal exhaust system. No by-pass of a muffler system is allowed and is required to meet the noise level specifications of not more than 73 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet in a normal operating environment.
In other words aftermarket is ok as long as its equal or better than original specs and is below 73 db.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Originally posted by got snow@Jan 13 2003, 08:41 PM
:huh: Cruising through the trails in Bracebridge Sunday morning, and the Police had a check point set up on the trail complete with radar guns !! One member of our group has a mach Z with an after market exhaust, not deafening loud but has a nice " crackle " tone at idle. The cops waved him in and fined him $110. The police here are now taking a zero tolerance to loud cans. Just wanted the Ontario riders to have fair warning :ph34r:
ALl I can say is DUH! What are we coming to! If he would have waved at me, I would have waved back and drove off! That pisses me off, especially if it is not too loud!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Loud pipes save lives. I cant here an RX1 coming to save my soul if i have my helmet on. ;) I think the pipes should be within reason. I dont like those loud pipes that sound like a tin can. A nice throaty noice is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
As much as some people don't like it, its time to say goodbye to loud pipes. If we don't, this sport is going to see more and more closings of trails. Not saying how I feel one way or the other, just the way things are headed.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I agree with you Jay, but if the pipe or can makes it sound throatier, without too much noise polution, I say go with it. TOo loud of pipe is annoying and poluting. I guess I would say use some common sense on the issue.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Jan 13 2003, 11:42 PM
As much as some people don't like it, its time to say goodbye to loud pipes. If we don't, this sport is going to see more and more closings of trails. Not saying how I feel one way or the other, just the way things are headed.

At the rate we're going, ALL riding 5 years from now will be OFF trail because there WON"T be any trails!!

Riding sleds on property other than your own is a privledge, not a right. JMHO

·
Registered
125 Posts
if everyone would just practice common courtesy, we would all be better off. riding at 11pm 100 yards away from a house at 8000 rpm shouldnt happen.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i have never been a fan of loud pipes, especially after my trip to munising, michigan this weekend!
2 a.m. and some drunk jack off with triple psi on a polaris had to do hot laps around the parking lot at 7,000 r.p.m.

3,500 miles of trails but he had to ride wheelies in the parking lot, thought about clothes lining him on the third time by, but kept my cool

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is the law skik....however.....73 decibles.....isn't very loud....pretty much any aftermarket silencer will exceed that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts