Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thumb warmer on my '03 ZL600EFI is not working. Both hand warmers are working fine. I'm wondering if it is a problem with the 'new' style warmer controls or the thumb element itself. I plan on switching the lead plug from the thumb element to the grip element to check it. Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for a fix? If it is the thumb element will the dealer replace the glued-on element or the entire throttle lever? Only 100 miles on this sled, just dont want to drag it back to the dealer yet. Thanks in advance. :wacko:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Check under the ignition/choke console. The plug may be ajar. It was a common problem when AC introduced the higher bars in '02. Cables were tight and connections pulled apart when the bars were turned. Re-routing the cables to the front of the riser rather than the sides and securing the connections was the quick fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked the connection at first when I discovered the problem. It is routed on the side rather the front, but I couldnt get around to the front. The plug was fully seated. I tried wiggling it every which way to see if there was a connection problem but had no luck. My plan is to switch this plug with one of the grip warmers to check the thumb element itself. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
don't think the electrical value is the same at each plug on the harness. it probably takes more juice to operate the hand warmers, than it does to operate the thumb warmer. but it might work. the thumb warmer on my last two arctic cats stopped woking and i just epoxied the grid back onto the throttle lever. now that i reread what i just wrote, changing plugs will work, but if it does, the thumb warmer should be much hotter than it normally gets. then you will know that the problem exists from the plug on the harness to the way of the stator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I discovered that the plugs for the thumbwarmer and the gripwarmer are not interchangable. I also discovered that the metal heating 'plate' that attaches to the backside of the throttle lever is cracked. I presume that this break is causing the problem. My dealer has ordered one under warranty for me. I will glue the new element on myself. Thanks to those that replied. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts