Hardcore Sledder banner

throwin some cash at the XC... tell me what ya think.

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Kevin Garceau 
#1 ·
Besides putting the edge skid in with fox clicker shocks...

my 98 XC700 with 220 jugs needed a little more pep in it to keep up with my buddies Apex.

Im in the process of doing a clutch set up on it, 62 weights EPI red in primaries, 50/36 helix with EPI orange
Changed needles in the carbs (much easier working on these than the Miks in my opinion)
SLP single can
SLP Power packs in the carbs

How does the set up sound? Im pushing 300lbs and this poor ol thing needs all the help it can get.

G
#2 ·
I have the same sled you have, and it hauls. i love the 98's. In their class when set up right, nothing will beat em. But......don't plan on keeping up with an Apex with the old 98. There is no replacement for displacement. Period.

#3 ·
That's a fairly solid clutch setup.
Leave the gearing stock.
Those motors love Vforce reeds, big accelaration improvement and cleaner carburetion. Good call on the SLP powerpacks too.
Align the clutches well and torque stop the motor.
New water pump belt. New driveline bearings.
Not a lot else to do without a lot more bucks, not that it won't run scalding hot anyway!!LOL

SLP single and or twin pipes work great on those but bang for buck your existing setup with reeds and maybe an SLP airbox intake kit is pretty damn strong and anvil reliable too.

Great sled, specially with an edge skid!! Cool!
Love to see those things beating up on the newer hardware!LOL

Miss mine dearly.

#4 ·
I have the same sled you have, and it hauls. i love the 98's. In their class when set up right, nothing will beat em. But......don't plan on keeping up with an Apex with the old 98. There is no replacement for displacement. Period.[/b]

i will say if you were to get it setup good the only way the apex will beat you is when he pass's you hes
gota play chatchup them thay will get past you at some point in 900 to 1000 ft or more

#5 ·
Id look at trying to convert your 700 to VES cylinder. Exhaust valves will gain you about 10 hp and make it run a lot better at all rpm ranges.
Id also look into articulating bar riser. It makes it so much easier to transition from sitting to standing and when standing you are in so much more control because you arent all hunched over the bars. You and I probably ride many of the same trails and you know how rough they can get. I swear that some days I spend more time standing up than I do sitting down.
Id also look at getting a better track. I went from a .91" Shockwave with 120 studs to a 1.25" Ripsaw and it made a big difference. Before my sled would spin the track a lot, but now it will carry the skis. Id go with either a Ripsaw or a Predator. Ripsaw is better for hardpack, Predator is better for powder. All the power in the world dont man a thing if you put it to the ground.

#6 ·
go from 220 cyl to ves cyl? i wouldnt do it

for the same price as all the shit youll have to buy you can
do a mild port and a pipe and have the same if not more HP
and i must be lost on why everyone thinks these carbs are hard to
keep tune i left mine stock all i did was put the powerpacks in and turn
a air screw granted iam alil fat but i like it like that i know it wont blow
when it gets below 0 :hmm: and will still run with a 800

#7 ·
I would. More power, better milage and very minimal added maintenance. Dont get me wrong, the '98s were fast, but a 700 with VES will eat that motor alive on the dyno.

#8 ·
I would. More power, better milage and very minimal added maintenance. Dont get me wrong, the '98s were fast, but a 700 with VES will eat that motor alive on the dyno.[/b]
more power? i dont think so a 220 cly 700 dynoed at 124 what a ves 700 maybe 130 and ill give ya the gas milage
and maintenance nope theres no E.V to clean on a 98 i have helped my buddy clean the rave valves talk about suck ass

so lets say you want to do a VES swap whats it goin to run MIN.2000$$$$$ if your buying new them get a pipe 98 pipe well
is not tuned to ves carbs TM40mm flatslides 200 used cdi then the timeing man it would easyer to swap a hole moter and cheeper

like i said a trail port and pipe head and your well over the power any stock 700 ves will have

G
#9 ·
The VES 700 has nice throttle response and a plush suspension, but the 98 700 when set up, with a single pipe, and other mods will eat them up. Edge chassis just doesn't have the legs to be a runner like the ole 98's. My pops has an 02 700, which ran the best of the 700's VES since they came out I believe, and he had a tough time riding at my side when my 220 motor was stock a few weeks ago. Edge has the better ride, 220 97/98 will spank it though :")

#10 ·
The VES 700 has nice throttle response and a plush suspension, but the 98 700 when set up, with a single pipe, and other mods will eat them up. Edge chassis just doesn't have the legs to be a runner like the ole 98's. My pops has an 02 700, which ran the best of the 700's VES since they came out I believe, and he had a tough time riding at my side when my 220 motor was stock a few weeks ago. Edge has the better ride, 220 97/98 will spank it though :")[/b]

thats so tru the edge is a real nice ride and the response maybe a bit better

but for the money to swap out for a ves top end :no:

all iam saying is you can get alot better for less

#12 ·
Great....thanks for the feedback...

I realize I may not be able to beat him. But I want to hang close and when he opens his mouth I can remind him of my 2,000 sled running close to his 10K sled :)

Im now stuck with the clutch issue. I bought one of them dummy clutch tools and it doesnt work. Seems to be the early twins had different threads than the standard poo clutches. Im just waiting for someone to confirm they are 14mm or not, or what ever they are.

Sorry Im kinda a rookie when it comes to sled tuning, although I do own and have owned many drag vehicles in recent past.

Bar risers are coming. I want to get this otu first and see how everything goes, then some risers on it to help. I dont do alot of riding standing up, but that may be because of the bars are too low for me at 6'2

which risers did you go with and did you need cable attachments or anything else

#14 ·
Well I got it back on the ground.

I added the SLP single pipe. Luckily it wasnt much louder than stock, although these things were pretty loud from the factory so we will see what kind of attention it brings.

I also added the SLP Power packs

The edge suspension...

I was able to take it for a very quick rip. It still has the old gas in it, and I havent jetted it up yet but figured I would take it around the yard but not enough to get heavily into the mains for any length of time.

It flat out hauls the mail on the bottom end. So crisp. The throttle is right there, much better than before. I am a believer in the power packs.

I do still have to get the clutch kit in. But I wanted to get a little rip on it trying out the suspension before I got to far involved into the clutch. This way I know it works, if for some freak reason we get a ton of snow before saturday mornign I can just change plugs, add fresh gas and go.

#16 ·
I agree with Rayxc, the VES upgrade is not very cost effective - unless you find a kit dirt cheap. (At one time Polaris sold those kit at a ridiculously low price , but those are long gone)

Adding risers is a good idea even if you don't ride standing up. A 2" straight riser fit without problems on my 99 (I'm 5'11") If I was to go higher , I'd try one of those Ole's risers that move the handlebars forward , or a set of articulating risers.

Also, running board traction is a very worthhvile improvement, I use the polaris edge grips that go on the outside of the tunnel and put my boots on top. After getting used to secure footing, I absolutely hates riding sleds with slippery running boards.

Sounds like a fun project, tuned right you should be much closer to him than he likes, and when he beats you - a 150hp sled should beat a 120hp sled, right?

The clutch used on my 99 has different clutch puller threads than 00-later clutches, not sure if its the same as 97-98.

the '98s were fast, but a 700 with VES will eat that motor alive on the dyno[/b]
Probably true , but they are much closer in real life (BTW, I've never ridden a dyno =)

#17 ·
I just purchased a puller for my 99 and it stated the same one for the 97-98. I guess 97-99 are the same. I think you will be suprised with the clutch kit also. I wasn't getting any power from my slp single pipe. Seemed slower than stock. Once I got the rpm's to reach 7800 Man it was like WOW! Clutch kit made a huge differance on my 1999.

#18 ·
I always heard that with the SLP pipe, to make power it has to be loaded down to build enough heat.
On my 99, I also had a huge improvement when I put in clutching, as with the stock setup it revved to 83-8400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.