Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went to the mountains with my 05 Switchback. i'm a tall guy (6'2") and had a heck of a time reaching down far enough. I added a set of ROX 2" risers, and that helped a bit, but I think I need more like 5-6" of lift to make it really work for me.

But, here's the issue -- I can't stand all the way out to the mountain. On the trails, I need to sit due to knee problems. So, what I have is some questions on the following:

1) How hard is it to either add extensions to the throttle and brake cables (as well as anything else that would need to be lengthened in the steering column)? Does someone make a kit for this?

2) Is there a tall riser that I can click down or bend to lower so that when I'm on the trail I can still sit down?

Thanks much!

Jay

PS -- For those that helped me on the skis, thanks! The Powder Pros worked great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a bar on my stem that i have a prox riser on. You could loosen the bolts to pivot it. Fly and powermad have a bar welded onto a plate to use a prox style riser.
[attachment=417340:bars_002.jpg]

fly pivot adapter
powermadd pivot adapter[/b]
So, I looked at that, not quite what I'm hoping for. What I would like is something that is quickly ajustable on the trail w/o tools. Set it to a low position for the 20 minute ride to the mountains, then spend, say, 1 minute to adjust it to a high position, then ride like that during the day, then back to a low position again for the trail ride out.

Would really be nice if I could adjust it, say, from 2" above factory to 6" or so above factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It would be nice if someone made a "telescoping" bar riser that went from like 2" to like 8", that isnt gunna be like a million dollars.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Recently went to the mountains with my 05 Switchback. i'm a tall guy (6'2") and had a heck of a time reaching down far enough. I added a set of ROX 2" risers, and that helped a bit, but I think I need more like 5-6" of lift to make it really work for me.

But, here's the issue -- I can't stand all the way out to the mountain. On the trails, I need to sit due to knee problems. So, what I have is some questions on the following:

1) How hard is it to either add extensions to the throttle and brake cables (as well as anything else that would need to be lengthened in the steering column)? Does someone make a kit for this?

2) Is there a tall riser that I can click down or bend to lower so that when I'm on the trail I can still sit down?

Thanks much!

Jay

PS -- For those that helped me on the skis, thanks! The Powder Pros worked great![/b]

I'm 6'3" and have an '06 Switchback, so I went through same thing you did. I put a ROX adjustable riser on my sled, that allows me to adjust the riser form 4 to 5.5 inches on the trail with an allen wrench (I think they also sell some adapters that screw into the riser that would allow you to adjust the riser without any tools). I put a longer brake line on mine and a throttle extension...both were fairly easy. You'll probably hear arguments against throttle extensions (prone to throttle sticking, etc), but I haven't had any problem with mine. I also soldered extensions in for all of the wires coming out of the brake control block...that was somewhat tedious, but not bad if you know how to solder at all. Here is a picture of my setup. I'm actually thinking about going with a taller riser, so if you're at all interested in a 4-5.5" riser let me know (the riser only works with 1 1/8" handlebar though, so it wouldn't work with a stock bar).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks like a good answer! Looks like I can go "Approx 1" (lowest setting) to around 4, 6, or 8 inches depending on which block I might buy!. That's pretty darn cool actually!

Only thing that doesn't appear to be field adjustable w/o tools is the tilt, but I think I could live with that.

So then what I'd need to do is add an extension to the brake line and either an extension or new cable for the throttle. For those of you that have done the extension, can you let me know which one you used and how it installs? Thanks!

This has been a great help!

Jay

·
Registered
415 Posts
That looks like a good answer! Looks like I can go "Approx 1" (lowest setting) to around 4, 6, or 8 inches depending on which block I might buy!. That's pretty darn cool actually!

Only thing that doesn't appear to be field adjustable w/o tools is the tilt, but I think I could live with that.

So then what I'd need to do is add an extension to the brake line and either an extension or new cable for the throttle. For those of you that have done the extension, can you let me know which one you used and how it installs? Thanks!

This has been a great help!

Jay[/b]
I used the PowerMadd throttle extension (http://www.powermadd.com/products/throttlecableextension.html). You basically have to unhook your existing throttle cable from the throttle block, connect it to the extension, and hook the extension into the throttle block (it's a bit more detailed than that, but that's the basic process). I would recommend getting an extended-length brake line, instead of an extension. To install the extended-length brake line, just pull off your existing brake line, install the new one, add brake fluid and bleed the brake line. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are also a lot of electrical wires that need to be extended too, so you'll need to cut and solder.

I've never seen that riser in the previous posts, but I think I would recommend the adjustable ROX riser over that thing. The ROX is cheaper, and does offer on-the-trail adjustment without tools, if you spend a few extra bucks and get the quick-adjust levers that screw into the riser. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So guys -- I did get the 6" adjustable riser form The Billet Store (Adjust-A-Rise) and it's GREAT!!!! Didn't need longer cables, and it installed quickly. I'm really happy with it so far.

Thanks for pointing out the adjustable riser to me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts