Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried porting the throttle bodies on the 998. they arent real smooth as they taper down from the inlet to the outlet so i blended out the sharp steps and opened up both ends by 1mm.
on the flow bench, they went from 145 cfm at 15" to 157 cfm. that is per throttle body.
i'll be putting a set on the dyno soon for a direct comparison but i am pretty confident that it will add a small amount of power.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Effects on the tune?
Unknown as of right now, once i do a direct comparison on the dyno and look at AF, ill know more.
I will say though, that i doubt very much that the increase in airflow will be significant enough on its own to require any tune changes.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
So it looks like it's all smoothed out and widened after the butterfly so it doesn't leak air past at idle like a bad bore job on a set of carbs like back in the day.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it looks like it's all smoothed out and widened after the butterfly so it doesn't leak air past at idle like a bad bore job on a set of carbs like back in the day.
yep. i polished the area where the blades contact a tiny bit, but dont really remove material there, for that exact reason.
i'd like to do an actual over bore and use bigger throttle plates at some point, but this is a start.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates?
No. I just got my summer test dummy in yesterday. Im going to get baselines done on tunes next week and then start trying parts.
I have the throttle bodies, several exhausts, external intake, our own adjustable billet wastegate actuator.
From there we'll be porting the head and finally it will get one of our cam kits.
Id also like to do a spark plug comparison, and test multiple engine oils.
All data will be shared on our Facebook page as i get it, and here when i get the chance.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keep up the good work. You will be a hero if you can get an intake to divert air evenly to all cylinders.
working on that. i did one prototype that did do a better job on distribution, but it made less power. so clearly that was not what i wanted, but it was data so thats a start.
i am thinking about eliminating the factory throttle bodies completely and doing a large plenum and one single throttle body.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Single throttle bodies can be touchy. Sometimes too much of an on/off switch when they get big enough. However, sometimes making the linkage real slow helps.:)

for trail manners, I'd work more on the intake manifold design and then switch throttle bodies if the intake manifold determine you need to do this.

Now, I have to admit I've never looked into this. Do you have an external and internal pic of the factory set-up? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Single throttle bodies can be touchy. Sometimes too much of an on/off switch when they get big enough. However, sometimes making the linkage real slow helps.:)

for trail manners, I'd work more on the intake manifold design and then switch throttle bodies if the intake manifold determine you need to do this.

Now, I have to admit I've never looked into this. Do you have an external and internal pic of the factory set-up? Thanks,
Straight into the center cylinder, directly from the charge tube. No internal baffles or diverters 20180224_141936.jpg 20180224_141953.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,449 Posts
I used to make oversize butterfly's for bored carbs many years ago, someone could probably make same for those newer setups.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to make oversize butterfly's for bored carbs many years ago, someone could probably make same for those newer setups.
If these show me something on the dyno in the next few weeks, I'll look into doing a true over bore with bigger plates.

·
Registered
970 Posts
working on that. i did one prototype that did do a better job on distribution, but it made less power. so clearly that was not what i wanted, but it was data so thats a start.
i am thinking about eliminating the factory throttle bodies completely and doing a large plenum and one single throttle body.

What did your proto type intake look like Tom ?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
In the middle Can you come in from the top and blow down straight to the floor? or from the floor directed straight to the top ? Blowing against a wall straight on disperses air well.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the middle Can you come in from the top and blow down straight to the floor? or from the floor directed straight to the top ? Blowing against a wall straight on disperses air well.
I dont think direction of flow was an issue, i think it was likely a miscalculation of plenum volume, and/or runner length.
A lot of math goes into those and I dont pretend to be an engineer, so that was a semi educated guess on my part and i likely guessed wrong.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I have PipeMax that can do NA quite well, real well actually, but not turbo. Not my version anyway.

IMHO, since you have IR stack injection, the plenum/airbox in front of the individual throttle bodies can be made larger than you would think. It's not like throttle body/bodies feeding a plenum then runners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts