Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
The pricing that is out there I think varies depending where there is snowpack. Many of the Tcats ordered last spring have yet to be delivered. Still waiting for mine. Allegedly it is being built January 27th. By the time it arrives we should know what the 2023's are going to look like. LOL

·
Registered
‘20 XRS 900 Turbo ‘22 ThunderCat EPS
174 Posts
The pricing that is out there I think varies depending where there is snowpack. Many of the Tcats ordered last spring have yet to be delivered. Still waiting for mine. Allegedly it is being built January 27th. By the time it arrives we should know what the 2023's are going to look like. LOL
Yeah, That’s what I’m finding is the T-cat orders seem to have been pushed out a couple weeks. Mine was suppose to deliver this week but now has a delivery date of Jan 20th-28th and my buddywho is from Canada also got told end of January now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm curious as to what Thundercat's with ATAC and EPS were being sold for during Snowmagedden.
I cant speak for ATAC option pricing as I only ordered EPS but mine was $17,045 + tax. No setup fees. I wanted more fine tuning adjustability So I decided to go a different route with shocks. Full set of custom Elka Stage 5 shocks for the big kitty.

·
Registered
2017 9000RR / 1997 Puma 340
203 Posts
Anyone with a 17+ that has ridden the 2022 with EPS? Wondering if it would be worth considering selling mine and spring ordering a new one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I feel the difference between the 2017 and the 2020 is almost worth the price of trading.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wish I had the foresight to have ordered under Snowmagedden. I had a Sidewinder GT with EPS bought this fall but the dealers order was cancelled. I ended up finding a real clean 18 Thundercat with a full boat of Turbo Dynamics parts (including a header) with 265-315 HP tunes. I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet, other than a few miles in a hay field with 2" of wet snow. I gotta say, I think I'm more excited to ride it than my '22 XCR 850 when it arrives!

·
Registered
2017 9000RR / 1997 Puma 340
203 Posts
I feel the difference between the 2017 and the 2020 is almost worth the price of trading.
I'm sure it is, but I have a really hard time even thinking about pulling the trigger without riding one for even just a little bit. I dont think any dealers are keeping any demo inventory and I would have a really hard time plunking down $20k without a basic test ride.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow, sadly I won’t be taking it this weekend to Quebec. The ol mod stock Z1 gets the call.

I’ll be putting miles on the Tcat next weekend after studs. It won’t stay stock for long - it’s going to get the TD 300hp work up.

I’ll report back once I have put a few miles on, this will be the first Tcat and EPS for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree. With the geometry changes they made to the 2020’s to the chassis with upper A arms, geometry changes to the spindles, and repositioning the cross shaft for the slide action front arm in the rear skid has made a huge difference in cornering and keeping the sled planted. 👍🏼

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
451 Posts
I put some decent miles on mine today and I am extremely pleased with it. One thing that seems a bit off is the fuel mileage, but I'm confident that will improve as she wears in. I filled 3x today, the worst was 10.5 mpg and the best was 12.2 mpg. The rate and expense doesn't bother me, It's the overall range if I really needed it....odds are it won't be an issue.
Other than that, this thing totally rocks! The EPS is everything you'd expect. The ATAC Fox shocks are no joke, they work great and I've found It ez to use. Driver 1 and 2 I have programmed med rear/soft front and firm rear/ med front, real nice to have and use as trail conditions change.
The power is abundant, very predictable, smooth and the exhaust note hits my ears just right. My hat is off to Arctic Cat and Yamaha for producing this impeccable and refined package. Hopefully it provides reliable and durable service for years.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad to hear. Hope you've addressed all the known deficiencies in the drive train and chassis so you don't have problems.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I put some decent miles on mine today and I am extremely pleased with it. One thing that seems a bit off is the fuel mileage, but I'm confident that will improve as she wears in. I filled 3x today, the worst was 10.5 mpg and the best was 12.2 mpg. The rate and expense doesn't bother me, It's the overall range if I really needed it....odds are it won't be an issue.
Other than that, this thing totally rocks! The EPS is everything you'd expect. The ATAC Fox shocks are no joke, they work great and I've found It ez to use. Driver 1 and 2 I have programmed med rear/soft front and firm rear/ med front, real nice to have and use as trail conditions change.
The power is abundant, very predictable, smooth and the exhaust note hits my ears just right. My hat is off to Arctic Cat and Yamaha for producing this impeccable and refined package. Hopefully it provides reliable and durable service for years.
What sled did you have or still have that you compare the steering effort to this sled with the eps? Curious since I’m on a 2016 9000 137” and I think the steering effort is more than I’d like long term.

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
451 Posts
Glad to hear. Hope you've addressed all the known deficiencies in the drive train and chassis so you don't have problems.
The only thing I did before I rode it at all was remove the left drive shaft bearing clean the assembly lube that the factory put on the mating surfaces. I rubbed some rtv silicone on them and reassembled. Also installed the BOP shaft saver. I also put 40ml of Prolong trans treatment in the chain case, leaving it about an ounce overfilled.
What sled did you have or still have that you compare the steering effort to this sled with the eps? Curious since I’m on a 2016 9000 137” and I think the steering effort is more than I’d like long term.
I had a 2019 Pantera 6000 that i put about 2,500 miles on. The Tcats steering and handling is leaps and bounds above that. Not only did I gain eps, but ars2 front and chassis geometry improvements. I'd say that the differences between your 2016 and the 2022 would be two completely different machines....for the better.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
considering the last few winters we have had I wonder what spring pricing on used sleds is going to be.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
The only thing I did before I rode it at all was remove the left drive shaft bearing clean the assembly lube that the factory put on the mating surfaces. I rubbed some rtv silicone on them and reassembled. Also installed the BOP shaft saver. I also put 40ml of Prolong trans treatment in the chain case, leaving it about an ounce overfilled.

I had a 2019 Pantera 6000 that i put about 2,500 miles on. The Tcats steering and handling is leaps and bounds above that. Not only did I gain eps, but ars2 front and chassis geometry improvements. I'd say that the differences between your 2016 and the 2022 would be two completely different machines....for the better.
Consensus for most Yamacat owners is put 16 oz in chain case.
Also, just keep in mind there is a long history with this chain case of the tensioner screws coming out or falling out. Most guys either get them tack welded or at minimum clean very thoroughly (acetone) and red loctite.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What are they? I’m not familiar

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Google Barn Of Parts and you will see all the upgrades available and suggested. Some issues have improved and aren’t as much of an issue. on my T Cat I have installed all 4 resistors silicone sealed to prevent freezing, jackshaft saver to keep bearing tight, belly pan protector for safety, quick connect booster pack cable and some other goodies I like. BOP is a Yamaha site but it works on Cats similar to the SRX & Winders.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Google Barn Of Parts and you will see all the upgrades available and suggested. Some issues have improved and aren’t as much of an issue. on my T Cat I have installed all 4 resistors silicone sealed to prevent freezing, jackshaft saver to keep bearing tight, belly pan protector for safety, quick connect booster pack cable and some other goodies I like. BOP is a Yamaha site but it works on Cats similar to the SRX & Winders.
4 resistors silicone sealed? I’ll assume you meant relay…..??

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yes correct. Sorry about that. They say you only need two relay’s to solve the issue but figured for the price ($20) might as well do all 4. Another issue I haven’t addressed but will is the chain tension adjuster which Barn of Parts also has upgrades on as well as the disconnect and reroute of the roll over valve to eliminate possibility of freezing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
What are they? I’m not familiar

ACPantera mentioned a few:
1. Track drive shaft spins in caliper bearing. Need BOP (Barn of Parts) shaft saver or need to get the pin and slot fix from Frank's in Essex Junction, VT (https://ty4stroke.com/attachments/fdc5e81f-b3b8-4c16-8c1d-2a7c14f9a577-jpeg.162269/).
2. Chain case tensioner screws come (or are) loose. They can (and have) fall out and cause catastrophic failure of chain and gears. Need to open chain case, get the assy tack welded or remove screws, clean screws and the mating axle with acetone and apply red loctite on assy.
3. Check upper gear bushing. Many don't last very long and when that bushing fails, the gear gets cocked on shaft and can cause the sled to jump out of gear ruining shift forks and other chain case components. There are a couple fixes to this including a new gear with larger busing and collar from DMC (DMC 21 Tooth Top Gear & Super Bushing Sidewinder Thundercat 8KC-E769A-11-00 | eBay). Also, many guys have replaced the bushing with better one.
4. When filling chain case put in 15 to 16 oz of lube.
5. Make sure there are no chain case leaks.
6. Make sure there are not oil tank leaks.
7. Rollover system puts allot of goo (mixture of oil vapor and water) into intake tract. Most guys do what's called a bypass. (Getting rid of the roll over valve).
8. Replace the fuel pump relay with a waterproof sealed one. Many have reported freezing of the stock relay which will cause the fuel pump to not work and you're stranded. Available from Hurricane Performance and Tommcat Performande (probably others too).
9. Check every clamp on the whole sled. Many many sleds with loose clamps.
10. Check clutch offset. Many come from dealer wrong.

Here is a master list of issues detailed on TY: MASTER Sidewinder issues list and known fixes

21 - 40 of 47 Posts