Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
That would suck should have been on a xp they love water!!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
that suxs pin to win. i h8 water so much my xp does love water

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I know that area, that's by hillside right? I hope they're OK but I guess it's better than going through in the middle of a lake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
damn that sucks.

Hope they're okay.

And we got more warm crappy weather heading for us for the weekend. Be carefull everyone!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Had buddies go through there years ago. Local club should tag that area with a caution thin ice area.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I recognized that channel right away (goes from the lagoon to the lake) it's usually very shallow in the summer, my SEA-DOO hits the bottom in a few spots.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Man, I crossed that 3 times over the past week. Although, I was going so fast I could have crossed it if it was open water!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Had buddies go through there years ago. Local club should tag that area with a caution thin ice area.[/b]
We were talking about signing a couple of the dangerous rivers up here as well. Fast current, lots of rapids, undertows, undercut banks and fluctuating water levels (water drops a couple of feet below the ice). The groomer crosses the river at a couple of spots were its deep and relatively slow, but a few of the more aggressive riders run the river. Often there's ices shelves and open water. It's not too bad if you are moving very fast, but the concern is that some younger kids, or people new to town will see the tracks and assume it's safe to travel, pulling a toboggan behind them or just traveling too slow and not aware of the hazards.

It was brought up that we should mark the river as "unsafe ice conditions, cross only at designated locations, at your own risk" or something to that effect. We were told that once you start putting up signs, you assume huge liabilities. People think that if you sign one hazard, all hazards would therefore be signed. Then someone ventures out and smokes a rock or pipe, or gets onto another slushy creek without any signage, then comes back at the snowmobile club for damages.

I still personally think that caution signs would do more good than harm, and one or two should "appear" without affiliation to any group in particular.

·
Registered
496 Posts
We were talking about signing a couple of the dangerous rivers up here as well. Fast current, lots of rapids, undertows, undercut banks and fluctuating water levels (water drops a couple of feet below the ice). The groomer crosses the river at a couple of spots were its deep and relatively slow, but a few of the more aggressive riders run the river. Often there's ices shelves and open water. It's not too bad if you are moving very fast, but the concern is that some younger kids, or people new to town will see the tracks and assume it's safe to travel, pulling a toboggan behind them or just traveling too slow and not aware of the hazards.

It was brought up that we should mark the river as "unsafe ice conditions, cross only at designated locations, at your own risk" or something to that effect. We were told that once you start putting up signs, you assume huge liabilities. People think that if you sign one hazard, all hazards would therefore be signed. Then someone ventures out and smokes a rock or pipe, or gets onto another slushy creek without any signage, then comes back at the snowmobile club for damages.

I still personally think that caution signs would do more good than harm, and one or two should "appear" without affiliation to any group in particular.[/b]
You would need to talk to a lawyer about the actual legalities, but for sure some anonymous signs would be a great benefit. Keep it simple though, Danger: Unsafe Ice...

·
Registered
153 Posts
That area actually usually is marked, just no one has marked the lake yet going to gimli and the lagoon entrance is done at the same time. They obviously were not from around there because I don't think I have ever seen it completely frozen solid, even small rocks usually break thru.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts