Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought of a few stories you might find interesting..

Back in 95 I had a XLTsp. Early in the winter I got a charge of water into the tank.. Next morning was -20 and it froze up big time and just wouldn't start no matter what. Tried everything to no avail. Finally, fed up and pissed off, I went into the house and filled a bucket with scaulding hot water from the tap. I brought the bucket outside to the sled, and slowly poured the hot water over the carbs, fuel lines, fuel pump and filter. Took my time to do this, no rushing. Then I pulled the cord. Damn thing started on the first pull. We went on our ride and forgot about it. Following day I went on a trip up north. Sled ran good the first day. Next night was 15 below again. That morning went to star the sled, no problem, started right up. Gassed it and made a loop in the motel parking lot. That was my mistake, the damn thing just quit about 100' from the motel room door. After a few pulls to no avail, I quickly realized what was up, and I marched right into the room, picked up a wastepaper basket, and filled it with hot water from the bathtub. Went outside and proceded to pour it over the filter and lines as before.. My ridng buddy and a few spectators had an expression on their faces as if I must have lost my mind! Pouring water on a frozen sled at this temperature? Well, their expressions quickly changed as I started the sled on the second pull. When I got home I took the fuel filter out and brought it inside. After thawing, I poured the contents into a glass. There was a good ounce of water that even repeated applications of iso failed to remove.

That experience came in handy last year on my xmas week trip with Brian. First morning, the Viper started, ran about 3 minutes and died. After much looking, we finally realized there was no fuel in the lines. Brian must have thought I was nuts when I said to get a bucket of hot water, but he did, and we proceded to pour it all over the lines, carbs, and fuel filter and pump. That again did the trick and we were off and running. We had to do that every morning of that trip. :rolleyes: B)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was up riding in up last year had same problem with my diper, poured hot water on it started right up.Sold that damb thing and bought f7 sp.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I had to use a hair dryer on my xcr...u think u looked stupid with a bucket of
water.......try using a hair dryer..lol :blink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rob did your friend get the Viper fuel pump update yet? Anyway until he does all you need to do when that happens is pour hot water behind the air box. No need to pour it all over the carbs as the problem is a vent hole in the fule pump (under the air box) freezing up with water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts