Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thinking of upgrading to a newer Pro X or XC from my 97 XC 600 and need some advice. I ride in Northern Wi, on the twisty, bumpy and some times snowless trails that we have had over the past few years. I have my old xc dialed in as good as that sled can get, however it is time for an upgrade. I test drove an IQ 600 last year and did not like the ride. What I like is a front end that sticks to the ground in corners (no/minimal ski lift) and slot car style handling. Been brousing the forums lately and have spotted several xc edges and pro x's for sale including a pro x with a 136 in track. I do do 200+ mile days and want a great sled that won't beat the crap out of me.

What should I buy?

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
If the trails are just semi-bumpy a SRX would be great. I loved mine, but when the trails get rough it was a back breaker. Now an SRX with an M-10 or something, that's a whole different story. I personally have always thought that the SRX is the most slot car like sled I've ever rode. Most predictable ski lift in the corners IMO. I say look into an XC, XCR, SRX, or maybe an Apex, unless you don't want a 4 stroke. I myself have never really cared for the ZR's, or ZX chassis MXZ's. I think AC and Doo both make good sleds, just always liked the Polaris Edge and Yamaha Pro Action chassis better. You could look into a REV as well, but make sure you ride one a little before buying one. I don't have any experience with the Firecat's and Sabercat's so I can't comment on those.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Hi guys, thinking of upgrading to a newer Pro X or XC from my 97 XC 600 and need some advice. I ride in Northern Wi, on the twisty, bumpy and some times snowless trails that we have had over the past few years. I have my old xc dialed in as good as that sled can get, however it is time for an upgrade. I test drove an IQ 600 last year and did not like the ride. What I like is a front end that sticks to the ground in corners (no/minimal ski lift) and slot car style handling. Been brousing the forums lately and have spotted several xc edges and pro x's for sale including a pro x with a 136 in track. I do do 200+ mile days and want a great sled that won't beat the crap out of me.

What should I buy?

Thanks, Pete[/b]
if you want a polaris about the only one that meets that slot-car requirement is the gen2 xcsp... get a 2000 model xc600sp w/ the 600ves motor, still a very fast sled even by today's standard cuz it has a very efficient chassis, low slung to the ground and corners like a bastard, until it gets bumpy... the pro-x is gonna be a rough ride but when the trails get chopped up there are few sleds that are better... sounds like you are looking for comfort ride so i'd suggest trying to find an edge chassis sled with m10 and go from there... not gonna corner like your XC but will be one of the smoothest rides out there

·
Registered
378 Posts
My 99 XCSP 700 is still a rocket and handles awsome on tight twisties I absolutly loves this sled and will always hold onto it until the end of time.
On the other hand my PRO X-2 800 is awsome and handles great. If I had a choice for clinging to the trail, it would be the XCSP. Not to brag, but it sure is nice to have both. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
only reason i'd say to get the 2000 over the 99 is that the 2000 models have a 1.5" wider stance and can corner significantly harder, i had a 2k 500xcsp and my brother had a 99 500xcsp, the 2000 was WAY better in the tight smooth stuff than his 99 was...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree if the trails are smooth you can't touch a well dialed in SRX. One of my riding buddies has one and it is tough to keep up with, until the trials get a little rough.
I think the Prox handles awesome (after a lot of dialing in) , yes it does take more effort than a Edge but I'd rather have that and be able to take the bumps a little harder.
The Edge does seem to be the all around sled though. My dad rides with us (he's 60) and has a 04 Edge XCSP 700 and I've played with the suspension a little. Well he keeps up really good and I always thought he was riding over his abilities until I jumped on it and took it for a blast, I was really suprised at how easy it corners. I was a Wedge guy for years , 96 Ultra SP, 96 XCR600, 96 Ultra SP and I had those suspensions dialed in good but they still don't compare with the Edge or ProX.
A friend had a Gen2 XC and he always raved how well that sled handled, I don't have any experience on that though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, So far I am leaning to a 04 XC edge 600/700. There is a 04 pro x listed on this forum with a aen 660 and a 136 track extension. Looks intriging, however have no info on the ride.

Have ridden an 02 edge x with m10, prefer a coupled rear skid though.

More sugestions are very welcome!

Pete

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, So far I am leaning to a 04 XC edge 600/700. There is a 04 pro x listed on this forum with a aen 660 and a 136 track extension. Looks intriging, however have no info on the ride.

Have ridden an 02 edge x with m10, prefer a coupled rear skid though.

More sugestions are very welcome!

Pete[/b]
Regarding the highlight part:

AN M10 IS COUPLED! Actually - I believe it was the FIRST coupled rear suspension EVER produced!

An M10 equipped Edge can ride very very nice!!

ALL the newer sleds with longer travel suspensions (higher ride height) will not be as slot car like as the older (lower) tech. Personally - I will fight some ski lift to allow for better bump compliance.

In my opinion an Edge is "Overall" far more capable than an a Gen II XC.

The trade off with an Edge is the "Longer Wheelbase". With the front suspension sweeping forward, it is 2-2.5 inches LONGER than a ProX. As a result it is more steady at high speed but it is also less responsive for cornering in the tight twisties!

Both the Edge and the ProX have advantages. Really depends on what you put a premium on.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
AN M10 IS COUPLED! Actually - I believe it was the FIRST coupled rear suspension EVER produced![/b]
that is correct... polaris just happened to be the first OEM to do it, about a year later once they figured out a way to do it without infringing on the FAST design...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
prox is the mogul masher....by the sounds of it the edge would suit you better. Softer suspension, higher top speed. For normal trails the edge is better. For aggressive bumps and jumps the prox is alot better. The two look the same but are totally different once you get past the hood/belly pan.....huge mistake on polaris's part.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
If your not into pounding your way threw a mine field the prox with standard prox skid is not for you. If your willing to ride hard and fast threw a bombed out trail and dont mind mild bumps the standard 2004 prox is a good match. the 2003 and older sleds are stiff and will beat you up if its not pushed hard. I cant comment on M10 but from what Ihave read its the smoothest ride of any sled on the market. The Prox will lift the inside ski very easy , you cant get around that they sit to high. Bonz hit the nail on the head flatest turning polaris sled that is some what up to date would be a 2000 xc sp , very poss the fast on ice also. I love my prox but it is a working mans machine , you make it fast where otheres are left for dead on really bad bumps . It just soaks up big stuff and almost never bottoms out .

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I've owned both and the ProX is definitely more work to ride. The only real advantage with the ProX was the quicker handing IMO. Once I had my Edge's suspension dialed in I could ride it just as hard in the junk. Sometimes faster because the back end didn't want to "kick out" as easily because of the longer wheelbase. The ProX HAS to be ridden hard to shine. The Edge can cruise but still tear it up in the junk.

I had an Edge and a ProX sitting in my garage and decided to sell the ProX and keep the Edge. But it is set up with Ryde FX clickers up front, a Fox clicker in the rear, 4" bar risers and Pro XR seat. To me it's the best of both worlds. ProX type suspension with the stability of an Edge. And more room under the hood for a GOOD set of pipes! ;)

I also agree on the 00 XC600. I had one and I loved that sled. VERY fast and handles like a slot car!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I also live in northern wisc and have gone through the same issue.I agree with the gents on the 99-2000 sleds being fast and good cornering.The edge x with m-10 is nice,but if you ride hard it will not hold up like the polaris platform will.I have had both and can tell you that from my experience the 02-04 edge with fox shocks is thee best, fast,durable all around sled that will hold up to just about anything you throw at it.Now if you like to ride hard most of the time and ride the hard stuff the prox is the best.I now have ended up with a 04 proxr 800 and can tell ya its to much somtimes.I would try to find a 03-04 xc sp or edge 700 with fox shocks and you will be very happy(wish I still had mine).My 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
.I now have ended up with a 04 proxr 800 and can tell ya its to much somtimes.
[/quote]

the ProXR is sprung much stiffer then the rest of the 2003 and 2004 prox line up. The orange XR sleds are as close to a production race sled as you can get as a consumer product. The factory set the shock valveing up for a 180 lb rider to land 40' drops and not miss a beat... Def not what you want for a trail sled , bitch banger maybe.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
.I now have ended up with a 04 proxr 800 and can tell ya its to much somtimes.
the ProXR is sprung much stiffer then the rest of the 2003 and 2004 prox line up. The orange XR sleds are as close to a production race sled as you can get as a consumer product. The factory set the shock valveing up for a 180 lb rider to land 40' drops and not miss a beat... Def not what you want for a trail sled , bitch banger maybe.[/b]
Sounds like my 01 ProX 600. The guy that re-valved my shocks laughed when he saw how it was stacked. I guess Polaris didn't learn it's lesson!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
the Prox R800 i have is a sled i will stand by, it´s exactly what i want, maybe im a wannabe boy racer, but i love how the pro X can handle abuse and rough stuff, i have revalved my suspension because the xr is tough as a brick, if you want a turn key sled with the ability to ride in may various, i would choose the edge chassie , it´s one of the best chassies ever made by any manufactor.

Not saying a Doo or cat is junk, they also hold their own, if i would go the Doo way i would opt for the rev chassie, it is extremly comfortable when you get the idea how you should ride it, but like Shortstop said you should ride one before you take out your wallet...

If the slot car handling if this is on top of santas wishlist i would buy a Yammy Sxr700, they have slotcar handling and can handle some moguls still, they are wery easy on fuel and can be tuned with pipes, clutching and many other stuff to spank many bigger sleds (i know)..

Regarding the discussion about the M10 suspension i could only say its the by far most comfortable suspension one could ride, they suck up all that thrown at them if they are adjusted for youre weight, they are wery sensitive for this, if not properly maintained and adjusted they will bottom out wery easy or be to stiff, they also are extremly coupled and do not weight transfer wery good (not good in the fluffy stuff) , but they are still a trail weapon of choise.... and i have ridden one for half a season :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've owned both and the ProX is definitely more work to ride. The only real advantage with the ProX was the quicker handing IMO. Once I had my Edge's suspension dialed in I could ride it just as hard in the junk. Sometimes faster because the back end didn't want to "kick out" as easily because of the longer wheelbase. The ProX HAS to be ridden hard to shine. The Edge can cruise but still tear it up in the junk.

I had an Edge and a ProX sitting in my garage and decided to sell the ProX and keep the Edge. But it is set up with Ryde FX clickers up front, a Fox clicker in the rear, 4" bar risers and Pro XR seat. To me it's the best of both worlds. ProX type suspension with the stability of an Edge. And more room under the hood for a GOOD set of pipes! ;)

I also agree on the 00 XC600. I had one and I loved that sled. VERY fast and handles like a slot car![/b]
Your sled sounds like what I plan on building. I going to do an Edge/triple but I want to set the sled up exactly like my Prox.
Ryde /fx clickers all around
C&A pro ski's
boss seat
ProX bars and riser
1.25" ripsaw
Flannery ported 800
and I love the looks of the Pro XR's so I'm going to mimic that scheme , except a brighter flouresent orange color, and a bladk belly pan. I'm going to try and have a custom Pro xCr decal made that almost looks factory. Now I just need the time and money to finish it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.