Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I owned a 2006 Apex Gt 14 yrs ago only for about 2 yrs. i loved the sound and don’t remember the weight being that big of deal but wasn’t impressed with the ride

I was out of the sport until getting back in 3 yrs ago (went with 3 skidoo 900ace). I haven’t been that impressed with the rMotion either.

I may add another sled, and was thinking about building a trail cruiser adding an m-10 airwave.

My questions is what year did the power steering come out and did it make a difference or just marketing hype?

And do all the newer Apex’s and Vector from year xxxx have power steering or only certain models?

Lastly has anyone put an airwave in an apex or vector, and what was the result?

Thx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Apex got PS in 2011, and Vector in 2012. All models of both have it, regardless of other options.

Yes, it works, and works great. I took my wife's 2015 Vector LTX GT for a 100+ mile ride this winter just to see how much different it is, and the PS is very noticeable vs our other 3 sleds without ( Apex & 2 Vectors)

Not only does it turn effortlessly, but the PS absorbs bump steer helping the sled to track straighter.

Can't help ya with the Airwave question though. I do know that Yamaha put an air shock in the skid of the Vector in 2016 or 17 and people HATED IT.

For trail cruising, I feel as though the Monoshock rides very good. It can't handle deep moguls, but the Apex & Vector chassis isn't mean for that type of riding. They are trail cruisers, not Sno X machines.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apex got PS in 2011, and Vector in 2012. All models of both have it, regardless of other options.

Yes, it works, and works great. I took my wife's 2015 Vector LTX GT for a 100+ mile ride this winter just to see how much different it is, and the PS is very noticeable vs our other 3 sleds without ( Apex & 2 Vectors)

Not only does it turn effortlessly, but the PS absorbs bump steer helping the sled to track straighter.

Can't help ya with the Airwave question though. I do know that Yamaha put an air shock in the skid of the

Vector in 2016 or 17 and people HATED IT.

For trail cruising, I feel as though the Monoshock rides very good. It can't handle deep moguls, but the Apex & Vector chassis isn't mean for that type of riding. They are trail cruisers, not Sno X machines.

Thanks 08Nytrotx, this is helpful.....i hope somehow Yamaha can get back to building their own unique sleds....the Yamacats just dont interest me

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks 08Nytrotx, this is helpful.....i hope somehow Yamaha can get back to building their own unique sleds....the Yamacats just dont interest me
Although I agree with you about building their own chassis again, the partnership with Cat doesn't bother me personally, what bothers me are the shortcomings of the drivetrain of that Pro Cross chassis & Yamaha not stepping in and fixing it.

I would love to have a Viper or possibly a Sidewinder, but I'll be damned if I buy a POS that uses a bushing in the chaincase that fails on a regular basis, along with driveshafts that get ruined due to poor quality control of machine work & are machined too small allowing the shaft to spin inside the bearing race.

What kind of "high tech" modern machine rides on a bushing & a non retained bearing in their driveline?... oh yeah, Arctic Cat junk.

·
Registered
406 Posts
EPS is nice. The pull of the Apex engine is quiet something. Vectors ok, but the Apex has power. Apex xtx got the singleshot airshock skid, and 146 track in 2016. 2011-2015 xtx has a 144 track. Alot of the 144 guys install the star suspension kit and absolutely love it. I would start there. Might not even need the airwave

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I agree with you about building their own chassis again, the partnership with Cat doesn't bother me personally, what bothers me are the shortcomings of the drivetrain of that Pro Cross chassis & Yamaha not stepping in and fixing it.

I would love to have a Viper or possibly a Sidewinder, but I'll be damned if I buy a POS that uses a bushing in the chaincase that fails on a regular basis, along with driveshafts that get ruined due to poor quality control of machine work & are machined too small allowing the shaft to spin inside the bearing race.

What kind of "high tech" modern machine rides on a bushing & a non retained bearing in their driveline?... oh yeah, Arctic Cat junk.

Yeah I agree nothing from A/C interests me, and if Yamaha is going to use their chassis they could still do some things to make it their own.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EPS is nice. The pull of the Apex engine is quiet something. Vectors ok, but the Apex has power. Apex xtx got the singleshot airshock skid, and 146 track in 2016. 2011-2015 xtx has a 144 track. Alot of the 144 guys install the star suspension kit and absolutely love it. I would start there. Might not even need the airwave
I agree with the Apex engine. I had a 2006 Apex GT and really liked the sled (although it was a long time ago it’s hard to remember:lol

I really dont ride hard anymore (rarely go over 70mph, ride mostly 40mph-60mph 100% trails) so was curious as to how much lighter the vector feels up front (if the weight difference is even noticeable)?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with the Apex engine. I had a 2006 Apex GT and really liked the sled (although it was a long time ago it’s hard to remember

I really dont ride hard anymore (rarely go over 70mph, ride mostly 40mph-60mph 100% trails) so was curious as to how much lighter the vector feels up front (if the weight difference is even noticeable)?
Owning both, I can tell you the Vector is clearly lighter, and you can feel it overall, not just in the front. However, if you get an Apex with EPS, the EPS is gonna hide that.

As far as power goes, the Vector really doesn't give a whole lot up to about 80 MPH, after that the Apex will start walking away. That 3 cyl is a torque monster, yet still has respectable top end. A Vector will do 100 mph if given enough room to. It just won't get there as quickly as the Apex.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Owning both, I can tell you the Vector is clearly lighter, and you can feel it overall, not just in the front. However, if you get an Apex with EPS, the EPS is gonna hide that.

As far as power goes, the Vector really doesn't give a whole lot up to about 80 MPH, after that the Apex will start walking away. That 3 cyl is a torque monster, yet still has respectable top end. A Vector will do 100 mph if given enough room to. It just won't get there as quickly as the Apex.

Thats what a friend of mine with a 2014 vector xtx(nice sled) kept telling me all day. His dealer told him that vector was no difference than an apex to 100mph. Then we raced, and it wasnt even close. My apex beat him so bad that i never heard another word about it. That being said, Vectors are great sleds, and i wouldnt have any problem riding or owning one. Id take it over a viper or sidewinder any day

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
right around 11,000 on my '12 XTX and have yet found a sled to replace it with. I'm not even looking very hard either. It's damn near perfect for my on trail riding.

And after adding Apex Mountain skis, and 1.6" Ice cobra track it's a pretty much a hoot off trail as well. I make my buddies gasp every time I push the trail tank off the beaten path. As heavy as it is, it will walk around 121's in the deep stuff. They have pulled it out too many times in the past to forget about what it "was" like.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So if both a Vector and Apex have EPS, will the Vector still feel much lighter or does the EPS completely mask the extra weight?

Also, how is the cruising range/gas mileage between the 2, and is premium gas required?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Premium gas is listed on both, but they do have knock sensors if you are stuck with 87. I have heard that the Vector's triple was the most fuel efficient of the two. But someone else will have to chime in on that.

My Apex's seem to get 15-16 no matter the conditions. They are not great, but not horrible. The big thing was they got the same no matter how hard we rode them. The biggest exception was deep wet snow would eat up fuel a bit, but we don't get that very often.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The vector and apex are the same sled with different engines. The Vector gets better gas mileage. I know for my '17 Apex, minimum of 91 octane is required. Not sure about the Vector.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run 91 ethanol free whenever possible in all my snowmobiles. However, as stated prior, they can run on 87, 88, 89.

The Vector gets around 18 mpg. And as stated prior, Apex gets low- mid teens mpg.

Back to the EPS, my wife's with EPS doesn't feel physically lighter than my other two Vectors without, but the steering effort is greatly reduced.

I guess I kinda worded it vaguely before, I meant an Apex with EPS will still feel physically heavier overall vs a Vector, but the front end weight when steering will be masked by the EPS on the Apex.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The vector and apex are the same sled with different engines. The Vector gets better gas mileage. I know for my '17 Apex, minimum of 91 octane is required. Not sure about the Vector.
87 for Vector. I've got an XTX, and usually run ethanol free, and around here, most ethanol free is 89, so I generally go with that. But in winter, if I'm getting gas at Murphy for my Flex, and I'm down a can out of the three I usually keep, I'll fill it with Murphy ethanol free, which is 87, saving me a bit of money. In summer, I stick with 89 for my PWC which is supercharged, and recommends higher than 87.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts