Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was going to buy a Nitro MTX, but I just can't get over how awesome the IQ chassie is. I LOVE it. No other words for it, I'm in love. I hear the nitro is a lot like a rev, and I hate revs with a passion, I would have to take the Nitro for a ride to see how it really is, but if it's rev like, there's no way I'm buying one. So I am looking at an FST switchback, except it's a 144 set up for trail. I need a mountain sled. I would be putting in RMK gears, 151 or 155 suspetion and 2 inch lug track, RMK A arms, powder skis and what not. pricey though. How do you think it would do with the bigger track on it? I don't need an extreem hill climer, just somthing that will take me where my buddies go with 151's, and 155 IQ's. Do you think this would be a good thing to do? There is no way I'm going back to two stroke. So it's this, or a yamaha. The only thing keeping me with polaris is the cassie, I just cant get over how nicely it carves and what not. Also, I have heard something about a big intercooler, what's it do? any more power with it? Is there a kit out there that jacks up the boost to maybe 160 HP? Also just looking for over all reviews of the sled, is the FST realy heavy? making it hard to cave with? would it make a good mountian sled?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? There's a ton of guys here, help me out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have heard something about a big intercooler, what's it do? any more power with it? Is there a kit out there that jacks up the boost to maybe 160 HP?[/b]
The intercooler cools the intake air that is hot from being compressed by the turbocharger. Cooler intake means more power. The 08 reflash that all FST's can have gives the sled 10% more boost for 4 seconds at W.O.T.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know that already, I have been reading up on these sleds all day, but haven't found much telling me if they ride the same as an iq with a light two stroke in it. Does it? or does the wieght really change the way thing rides? How is it in the powder?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, I know that already, I have been reading up on these sleds all day, but haven't found much telling me if they ride the same as an iq with a light two stroke in it. Does it? or does the wieght really change the way thing rides? How is it in the powder?[/b]
I'd rather ride my fst than my dads fusion anyday. I dunno about powder, I plowed through some bullrushes with pretty deep snow no problem....i thought i was gonna be stuck forsure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather ride my fst than my dads fusion anyday. I dunno about powder, I plowed through some bullrushes with pretty deep snow no problem....i thought i was gonna be stuck forsure.[/b]
Yeah, I see in the 07 polaris brosure that the fst has the same dyno sheet as the 900 fusion. That's lot's of power for a 750. I'm sure it'll go through powder just fine, so does a rev, but it a rev carves like a tank, I want a sled that carves/manuvers as easly as any IQ Rmk, and I want to know if the FST will do it? even though it's 591 lbs. I would probably be putting on RMK a arms, so that would help some. Has nobody tried to carve with this sled? I find that very hard to believe.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There are lots of guys who have turned the sled into powder machines. Particularly out west, where they get tons of powder to ride in.

I think you are over killing the machine however.

You definitely need some good powder skis, like powder pros or simmons....the wider the better...I would run with 10 inch jobs if you can find them because it really makes a difference over the pieces of shit that Polaris calls skis.

You also need to gear the sled down close to a 2:1 ratio in the gearing department, or eat belts. There is already a ton of heat under the hood so opening up some venting near the shock towers and in front of the foot wells will remove a bunch of that heat. And if you want to get rid of the suitcase size muffler and don't mind the louder aftermarket jobs that save weight that will help too. Most powder guys have gotten rid of the huge muffler and the radiator which was another Polaris afterthought. Not necessary for 99% of your type of riding. Doing that alone will put that machine right in there with the rmk's in the weight cat. but since it is a four and turboized to boot, it has more punch than your RMK buddies have without winding the machine out to the high end of the rpm range. Yes you can boost it more with better fuel, and put bigger cooler on it....but why? Do you want to wrench on it or do you want to ride?

Once you tune the sled up suspension wise, you will find that this sled really IS an RMK with uncoupled suspension. Loosen those straps up so she rocks back and puts less weight on the skis in the pow will go along way to making you smile.

There is a ton of info on this sled over at Polarisfiles.com.

I suggest you spend some time with your puter and less with your wallet before you go spending all that money needlessly.

My 2inch lugs are no problem for my switcher. Just need to get the weight out and the oil temps up to get the machine stroking where it should be. That requires 180 degree stat replacement, and some other mods you will learn about at the other site.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome^^^^^ Exacly what I want'ed to hear. I just signed up on polarisfiles yesterday, so I'm planning to spend some time there as well. You siad something about removeing the rad, is that the front intercooler? Probably not, your talking about the rear one in the tunnle right? Also what do you mean by I'm over killing the machine? Like it doesn't need all the mods I listed?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Awesome^^^^^ Exacly what I want'ed to hear. I just signed up on polarisfiles yesterday, so I'm planning to spend some time there as well. You siad something about removeing the rad, is that the front intercooler? Probably not, your talking about the rear one in the tunnle right? Also what do you mean by I'm over killing the machine? Like it doesn't need all the mods I listed?[/b]

If it was me I would replace skis, replace muffler (loss of aprox 16-20Lbs), before going to a 151 or 155 if you can find a 2" track for the 144 I would try that. I had no problems going wherever my buddies went with their 155 dragon rmk and custom sled in the mountains , and I was stock except for skis and muffler. I just installed a custum helix and can't wait to try it out in the mountains.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Awesome^^^^^ Exacly what I want'ed to hear. I just signed up on polarisfiles yesterday, so I'm planning to spend some time there as well. You siad something about removeing the rad, is that the front intercooler? Probably not, your talking about the rear one in the tunnle right? Also what do you mean by I'm over killing the machine? Like it doesn't need all the mods I listed?[/b]

These sleds have a radiator down low under the intercooler which isn't necessary unless you run in no snow and 45 degrees. Once the engine is broken in, they run even cooler.
Like Arctic says, remove some of the weight, put some decent skis, gear the sled down and then ...if you still feel you need to go longer track put rails and extensions on. It was not that long ago that 1.5 inch lugs and 144 track WAS a mountain sled. It will go everywhere you want and then some. Put the 2 inch lugs on there and might want to put 2 inch extension on the bars so you can manhandle the machine better, is all I would do and save some bucks. Definitely put the wider and better skis on tho, as that is a must.

Dial the sled in and SPEND TIME doing this. Learn to use the throttle as the brake, and put some time in on the sled to learn how it handles and you won't notice the weight until you do something wrong and stick it. Then get you WILL notice the weight, but then ALL sleds stuck in Powder are too heavy.

This sled with turbo is the future of most sleds....smaller engine putting out tons of torque down low where sane people squeeze the trigger and the only thing I can say is this motor is ahead of it's time. Eventually all machines will have a turbo and a longer engine life making the 4-6k motor a thing of the past. Good luck...keep the seat side up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I didn't know where the extra rad was. Thanks. I'm thinking maybe get an 07, and do the following to it at first, SLP powder Pros, slp muffler, tons of slp vents, ditch the rad, and a two inch riser. Then the next year maybe a 151 track extention, or just a 2" lug. And a few eye catching things as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK, I didn't know where the extra rad was. Thanks. I'm thinking maybe get an 07, and do the following to it at first, SLP powder Pros, slp muffler, tons of slp vents, ditch the rad, and a two inch riser. Then the next year maybe a 151 track extention, or just a 2" lug. And a few eye catching things as well.[/b]

Make certain the dealer does all updates...as there are several.

Also the sled uses premium fuel to get the max out of the engine. Just thought you might want to know. Oh, and changing plugs is NOT fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Make certain the dealer does all updates...as there are several.

Also the sled uses premium fuel to get the max out of the engine. Just thought you might want to know. Oh, and changing plugs is NOT fun.[/b]
oh come on! its a swell time!

changing the plugs on my dads 2007 is easier than my 2006. only because the bunch of wires that make it hard for you to get an allen wrench on the mag side coil thing are rerouted.

how often do you change plugs anyways?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey^^^ we meet again. lol Seems like every forum I'm on I see you name. lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can tell you these sleds make absurd mountain sleds, mine is full on mountain sled and it goes places my buddies can't get to me to help me out. I went in stages with the track first, going from the stock 144 to a 2"rmk 144, then went full out to a 166"x2.4" and custom rails with 10" big wheels and removed all of the bogey wheels. I also ported the track ALOT. I have 4" bar risers, left handed throttle, straight pipe, removed radiator, battery relocated to under rear of seat, airbox deleted, Timbersled lightweight Barkbuster front end, Powder Pros, extrovert drivers, geared down to 2.19, put the watercraft boost controller on, 180 thermostat, k&n filter right off the turbo, and I'm sure lots more I'm forgetting right now. My big mountain sled went to my little mountain sled, an 03 RMK 800 159 with a shopping list of parts on it. I thought that thing would always be a dominant sled on the hill, now it's not even close to the climber and deep powder machine the FST is. When the sled is running perfectly it's an awesome machine and the higher you go, the faster it is compared to other sleds. I haven't had a stock sled even come close when drag racing on the trail at 10,000 feet altitude. Mine's in the shop right now chasing ghosts trying to figure out why it's cutting out down to around 6000 rpms and bouncing back up, hopefully we get it figured out today. When these sleds are right they are a complete blast to ride!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can tell you these sleds make absurd mountain sleds, mine is full on mountain sled and it goes places my buddies can't get to me to help me out. I went in stages with the track first, going from the stock 144 to a 2"rmk 144, then went full out to a 166"x2.4" and custom rails with 10" big wheels and removed all of the bogey wheels. I also ported the track ALOT. I have 4" bar risers, left handed throttle, straight pipe, removed radiator, battery relocated to under rear of seat, airbox deleted, Timbersled lightweight Barkbuster front end, Powder Pros, extrovert drivers, geared down to 2.19, put the watercraft boost controller on, 180 thermostat, k&n filter right off the turbo, and I'm sure lots more I'm forgetting right now. My big mountain sled went to my little mountain sled, an 03 RMK 800 159 with a shopping list of parts on it. I thought that thing would always be a dominant sled on the hill, now it's not even close to the climber and deep powder machine the FST is. When the sled is running perfectly it's an awesome machine and the higher you go, the faster it is compared to other sleds. I haven't had a stock sled even come close when drag racing on the trail at 10,000 feet altitude. Mine's in the shop right now chasing ghosts trying to figure out why it's cutting out down to around 6000 rpms and bouncing back up, hopefully we get it figured out today. When these sleds are right they are a complete blast to ride![/b]
hey troy, can you tell me the benefits or gains that you experienced with the watercraft boost controller? i have the part number written down and im debating on getting one.

secondly, did you have to put smaller drivers on so that 2.4" paddle track would clear the coolers? im positive i can get the 2" under there now.... but i would shoot for the 2.4" if i bought a track.

thanks, Bmxican

·
Registered
54 Posts
Let me start by saying my sled's back up and running. I talked to Hemidude today and he set me straight. I ended up adding a ground wire everywhere I could and that solved the problem. Bmexican, I didn't have to go with smaller drivers with the 2.4" track. It is a tight fit but it will go on. The 2" track goes in pretty easily, just be patient. I had to go with extrovert drivers because of how much my track balloons with the porting. The msx boost controller seems to really shine in the midrange power, I think I have more up top also, but these things run so good it's hard to tell. I'll say if you buy this expecting huge gains you'll be dissapointed. I definetly think it does help out though. Now I'm ready to start playing with the clutching and see how much power is waiting to be unleashed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, sounds like you have a lot of $$$$ in that thing. Now we all know it's an insane climer, but how about boondocking? just fooling around, carving. Is it the same as an iq rmk, or do you feel the weight?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, sounds like you have a lot of $$$$ in that thing. Now we all know it's an insane climer, but how about boondocking? just fooling around, carving. Is it the same as an iq rmk, or do you feel the weight?[/b]

It is definetly heavier than say a Dragon 700, but I only feel the weight when I mess up, like climbing extremely steep stuff through the trees and not getting it thrown over in time, it's tuff to recover. I had that problem a little bit this weekend but the power always helps to recover. We rode in handlebar deep snow all day Sunday and I'm the only one that never got stuck and we use mine to pull the other sleds out with a sled to sled bungie. We all call my sled the tractor. As far as just fooling around carving, it's awesome! I'd say it's pretty comparible to my Edge 800 as far as handling goes, maybe a little better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, thanks, I'm bouncing back and forth from sled to sled, one day I'm like, yep, I'm buying an fst, then we head out of town and walk into a yamaha dealer, they have a nitro sitting on the floor, so I get on, see how it feels. And I'm like screw the fst I'm getting a nitro, right now I'm still in nitro mode.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts