Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ZR 6000 Roger Skime
1,006 Posts
Mine ran 103 on gps can't remember what the speedo said,my brothers 600 e-tech will hole shot me but I will run him down and pass him. Both arte renegades mines a 2010 his is a 2011.
you are spinning more and thats why the etec is going by out of the hole...

·
Registered
443 Posts
1200 4 tec

I have been thinking about a 1200 renegade, but I am getting mixed answers on how fast these are. I only know 1 person besides a salesman with seat time on one. He said lots of power but he was in trails were he could not go over 60 mph. A sales guy today said there a tourqey 600 and that a stock 800 will kill them in a race. Others say there as fast as a 800 until top end. I know HP is down compared to 800s, but does the tourqe make up for it?
I just purchased a leftover2011 1200 4 tec.Salesman rides one and say 109-113 mph.Lots of torque and gets there quick.I'm moving up from a 2001 600 ZRT which is fast,I went to the newer sled for the ride.:bc2:

·
Registered
499 Posts
my guess is that it will be 2-3 sled lengths ahead of your 700. 30- 40 feet between the 2 sleds.
the 1200 is a fast 700 or a slow 800. thats it.
someone on here said that it feels as fast as his apex... no way, my apex would have walked all over my 1200. when i bought my 1200 my buddies didn't, so i know how my apex raced their sleds. and how my 1200 compares. dont let all of the keyboard racers tell you different

·
Registered
2017 ZR 6000 Roger Skime
1,006 Posts
my guess is that it will be 2-3 sled lengths ahead of your 700. 30- 40 feet between the 2 sleds.
the 1200 is a fast 700 or a slow 800. thats it.
someone on here said that it feels as fast as his apex... no way, my apex would have walked all over my 1200. when i bought my 1200 my buddies didn't, so i know how my apex raced their sleds. and how my 1200 compares. dont let all of the keyboard racers tell you different
In stock configuration, you are right... But a header, clutched, fuel controller... 1200...., will run with or beat an Apex all the way to top end... In a 1/4 miles drag race, the 1200 will win...

Tailight, I have owned a slightly modded 2006 Apex tuned by Ulmer and a Nytro xtx also tuned by Ulmer, so I know what I am talking about.

I have also heard of cases where a slightly modded 1200 (bolt ons, headers, clutching etc....) will beat a 2011 Apex... Confirmed by more than 2 different sources.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In stock configuration, you are right... But a header, clutched, fuel controller... 1200...., will run with or beat an Apex all the way to top end... In a 1/4 miles drag race, the 1200 will win...

Tailight, I have owned a slightly modded 2006 Apex tuned by Ulmer and a Nytro xtx also tuned by Ulmer, so I know what I am talking about.

I have also heard of cases where a slightly modded 1200 (bolt ons, headers, clutching etc....) will beat a 2011 Apex... Confirmed by more than 2 different sources.
Makes perfect sense. With the mods mentioned the 1200 is in the 150 hp range, same as an Apex, but 150 lbs lighter. Mike Knapp (Knappattack) over on Dootalk has a good writeup on how well Cudney Racing full setup works with header, RB3, and PB80 clutch. Claims his neighbor's 2011 Apex never got by from start all the way to top end. Impressive! Plus, the Doo 1200 actually has a suspension that works.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2012 GSX SE 1200 on order for the wife. I plan on adding the header, RB3, and PB80 clutch from Cudney (she likes to go fast too!). There is also a 2012 Apex XTX on the way (her father) so I'm sure they will get a chance to run them, and I'll post the results. BTW, her CF 800 smoked him in appx 1000 ft run on his old 06 Apex. He would have eventually gone by with the CF's gearing, but she's light and get's out of the hole fast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
greenrider1 put a bigger lug track on that sled or you wont see the benefit of the bolton's. heck in stock form you need more lug.
Already have an Ice Attack 1.375" on order that I plan on swapping out the 1.25" ripsaw before it ever sees snow. Hopefully this will be a good compromise. We're not serious racers, but like to play around for bragging rights. I may still add some studs to it if it doesn't hook.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I have been thinking about a 1200 renegade, but I am getting mixed answers on how fast these are. I only know 1 person besides a salesman with seat time on one. He said lots of power but he was in trails were he could not go over 60 mph. A sales guy today said there a tourqey 600 and that a stock 800 will kill them in a race. Others say there as fast as a 800 until top end. I know HP is down compared to 800s, but does the tourqe make up for it?
Over 7200 miles on my 1200 Gade and its been flawless and will run with higher HP sleds up to 80-90mph then they will crawl away slow. You coming off of a 600 will be very happy with it. I came off a 800r and dont miss it at all with this sled. The torque does make up for less HP so far 5 people I ride with have rode my sled and been converted they liked it that much they came off a 600 Fusion,F7,F6,Mach z and a 800r Gade.

·
Premium Member
31,899 Posts
Already have an Ice Attack 1.375" on order that I plan on swapping out the 1.25" ripsaw before it ever sees snow. Hopefully this will be a good compromise. We're not serious racers, but like to play around for bragging rights. I may still add some studs to it if it doesn't hook.
i went with a 1.352 cobra on mine.

its being replaced with a 1.75 cause the 1.352 wasnt enough

·
Registered
467 Posts
Like was said earlier, I have a 1200 renegade that will walk neighbors 2011 Apex including on the top end on the lake using just a header and Cudney PB80 kit w/Dayco XTX belt. Also runs with and walks friends 2010 CFR HO800 which are supposed to be so fast.

I even bought a 2011 Apex XTX last year and got rid of it when my 1200 ran side by side with it and was much nicer to ride the trails with.

Old Apex's, Nytro's, and 800's - its like taking candy from a baby, thats using the 16" wide track too. The thing is a complete underdog that is for sure. Ordered up a new Turbo Cat and have my doubts it will run with my XR1200 to 1000 feet stock. Wouldn't want to tell the Cat guys that though, they all think if its a Cat, its the fastest thing on snow and the Doo's are junk. Truth is, you can't go wrong with a XR1200. Best machine I have ever owned so far!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Like was said earlier, I have a 1200 renegade that will walk neighbors 2011 Apex including on the top end on the lake using just a header and Cudney PB80 kit w/Dayco XTX belt. Also runs with and walks friends 2010 CFR HO800 which are supposed to be so fast.

I even bought a 2011 Apex XTX last year and got rid of it when my 1200 ran side by side with it and was much nicer to ride the trails with.

Old Apex's, Nytro's, and 800's - its like taking candy from a baby, thats using the 16" wide track too. The thing is a complete underdog that is for sure. Ordered up a new Turbo Cat and have my doubts it will run with my XR1200 to 1000 feet stock. Wouldn't want to tell the Cat guys that though, they all think if its a Cat, its the fastest thing on snow and the Doo's are junk. Truth is, you can't go wrong with a XR1200. Best machine I have ever owned so far!
I wish that just one 1200r would run that strong around here, as yours does. Then I would think strongly of getting one next. A few have the headers and controlers and powerblocs on them. But none of them will outrun the cfr 800ho or apexs that I have seen. Soom are close on loose mealy snow, but not close at all on hard snow or ice.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I wish that just one 1200r would run that strong around here, as yours does. Then I would think strongly of getting one next. A few have the headers and controlers and powerblocs on them. But none of them will outrun the cfr 800ho or apexs that I have seen. Soom are close on loose mealy snow, but not close at all on hard snow or ice.
I don't think a 1200 will outrun any of the high performance sleds up top. I know corner to corner on fast trails my 1200 will be waay ahead of my 06 Apex and my 08 Nytro. I would say the 1200 can compete up to about 80 mph but after that HP will rule. I just sold my Apex last month because for trail riding my 1200's are far superior. Had I been more of a lake racer or top end guy then I would have definately kept the Apex.

·
Registered
2017 ZR 6000 Roger Skime
1,006 Posts
The 1200 is not a top end sled and Mike never said that... The 1200 is also not that great on ice as well. The Apex and Cat will take it on top end... I guess if thats your deal to run lakes all day, then the 1200 is not your sled unless you turbo... But on snow it will run or beat with bigger hp sleds to a 100mph.... 1000ft.... And I have owned a modded Apex and Modded Nytro, so I know how they run...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My 2010 1200 Renegade will consistently pull 109 to 110 on the speedo, which translates to about 101-102 on my GPS. Always on SNOW...I'm unstudded and cannot race on ice.

The best part about it, is those numbers are VERY consistent. My previous 2 stroke sleds would vary by 10 to 15 mph depending on conditions and temps. My 1200 varies by about 3 mph depending on conditions and temps. It's ALWAYS strong.

I do have a header, no fuel controller, I have massaged my clutching a little bit on my own. I also have some slow-down goodies like wide 6.9 skis and 1.352 Cobra track. I'm not a lake racer guy but sometimes do a hard pull to obtain above numbers.

My previous sleds were 2007 Attak, and 2008 Dragon Switchback 700. The 1200 is substantailly quicker than my Attak was, but they had nearly identical top speeds. The 1200 would have destroyed my 2008 Dragon 700 in ANY race, of any length, at any time, in ANY condition...despite much tuning and improving that 700 including fuel controller, pipe, clutch work, etc....

And the best part, it's QUIET. Always. I LOVE that. I've been told it feels "electric." You just squeeze the throttle and it PULLLLLS with minimal noise or sound. Kinda like hammering it while driving a V8 Lexus or similar....

A little side trivia. I put my ready-to-ride 1200 Gade on a scale, and then put my ready-to-ride 2008 Dragon Switchback on a scale before I sold it. The 1200 was LIGHTER by a few pounds, and both had similar loads of fuel.

Tight fast twisties? 1200 beats both sleds easily and simply handles SOOOO much better. Very difficult to get it to lift a ski. Off trail in the deep? It's pretty good, not stellar...about equal to my Switchback there, far superior to the Yami.

For the first time in a long long time, I don't desire a new sled. And I don't desire to make many more improvements or changes to this one. I like this 1200 that much...

Agree 100% that the people who knock the 1200's are the ones who have never ridden one. They are a pleasantly surprising sled, and respond unbelieveably well to very aggressive riding...

I HIGHLY suggest long track and/or maybe lots of studs for this machine. Like I said, I'm unstudded but I've switched to a Cobra because I choose to ride good snow almost exclusively. The biggest challenge many people over on Dootalk mention about these sleds is getting them to hook up. Too much torque breaks the track loose all the time...this is a common complaint on the shorties, Gades not so much. So don't ignore establishing a good traction setup with this machine for whichever length someone chooses...the motor needs it.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Make that 3 or more , MBRP header and tuned my clutch ,no add on clutch parts - where's my green shoe :thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 82 Posts