Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If the cheap ass customer shops online constantly to save a buck or two instead of supporting his local dealer , who else is there to blame!?!
I looked up some parts this year for both my Sleds and online prices compared to my local dealer where within a few dollars here or there. Add shipping and its a wash. Only reason I did this was to get the part numbers for my dealer to order them. They love me for saving them the time of looking them up. As a former parts Guy I know it helps esp during busy season. They even had most of the parts in stock! Even the intake boots for my old IQ. How can I sit there and not support that! What the hell else are they supposed to do, install them for me for free!

I cant tell you how many times I would spend valuble time looking up parts for someone, only for the asshole to tell me "oh I can get them cheaper online" and then have the balls to say "Can I have the part numbers?"
Absolutely ridiculous.
Unless you have been on both sides of the counter , you cannot understand how buying online hurts the dealers and sport in general.
Christ I know exactly how that goes! It pissed me off when someone calls with a list of parts. Then says they can just get it online or never pick up the parts (this is why dealerships make you pay upfront for special order or expensive parts). I stayed 20 minutes after work for a jackass who called looking for the weirdest parts. He pays and I order them. He calls the next day to say he can just get them online and since the I didnt get around to ordering yet. I had to refund him. Waste on my time and the dealerships money to pay an extra 20 minutes to pay me, just to get absolutly nothing out of it.

Guys do not get it if they dont work at a dealership in parts. Who cares how much profit margine a dealership has on parts... Do you want the parts or watch someone crumble? If a dealership only made 10% off parts would that make you happy? Because thats not worth it. That wont pay the bills and employees and now you have no dealership to go to. Think about it. You spend 500 bucks on parts amd accessories? Cool we made 50 bucks. And then when someone needs a part that costs 50 bucks? We just made 5. Thats not really worth much. Or if the parts costs you 50 bucks and we have 40% profit margins... Thats 20 bucks the dealership made. And you still paid 50 bucks. Like I said why does it matter what the profit margin is?? Go shop online if it pains you to see a dealership be able to pay the bills and employees and make some profit in the end... Seriously dealerhips dont need your 5 bucks profit.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like a lot of these issues are just sales issues in general I don't think this is a snowmobiler issue. There are some disrespectful people in every crowd. As far as everyone wanting a discount. The markup in this industry is rediculous 40% in most cases and I don't think anyone these days pays msrp for most parts and accessories.
Your the kind of person dealership make. The parts cost x amount of money. Thats the price. What the dealership actually makes is not something you should be concerned with. Why does it matter? Why does ot bother you so much to see a buisness make money? Guess what... Thats the whole point of a buisness.

There has been a few guys we helped like we would and should. Reach far for them. And they try to beat us down and just piss us off. Over time we just stop trying to help them. If that has happened to you. Well then there is probably a reason why.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I think the point I was trying to make is simple learned in economics a price someone is willing to pay is what it is. Some of you Complaining that every customer wants a deal? That’s because the price for parts has changed. Online sales probably the reason. I understand what you are saying about not being able to make money but that’s on the manufactures not customers. They can stop the cheap discounts if they wanted. And businesses trying to run buisness the same exact way as always has and not evolving. Those online stores that sell discounted parts they are dealerships that are keeping up with the times. Active on social media Facebook, Instagram, youtube, eBay, Amazon. The most successful dealers are all on there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm probably not helping dealers much. I only buy used sleds in private sales, buy most of my parts online and do most of my own maintenance. When I do go for supplies it's because I'm in the middle of a project and need something now. Never moan about the cost though, don't mind paying a premium for right now parts. Basic rule of respect is don't waist anyone's time. Do your research, go in with the part #'s, buy what they have in stock and get ta'hell out of their before looking at the latest models on the floor!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Online sales probably the reason. I understand what you are saying about not being able to make money but that’s on the manufactures not customers. They can stop the cheap discounts if they wanted. And businesses trying to run business the same exact way as always has and not evolving. .
I can see you never had a business. Because I don't think you ever paid a $1400 a month electric bill. $3000 natural gas bill. I work at a foundry that supplies parts for Harley. I'll give you one part, six speed shifter barrel. They pay us $8 dollars each. Friend of mine had a Harley dealer and for grins we looked it up, dealer cost was $85 dollars, suggested retail was $142 bucks.

So whos the thief?
The pattern dies costed $25,000 (which is always paid by the customer)It costs us a melt furnace 5- $100,000 robots an oven an Autoclave, wax ceramic and steel all to get the 8 bucks
Harley packages it or builds a transmission with it and the mark-up goes into the bike , that intern preserves a job for everybody (Yes workers just like you making a living) to put food on their tables.
Now take all that away and buy one "online" from [the Chinese] a catalog and you omitted everyone JUST LIKE YOU

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
People have every right to buy online. And the smart ones do. The ones who can figure out what they need. The ones who plan a project ahead to get their parts. Thats what I do. (Well I did before I worked there, and will again now that I don't). But when someone comes up, doesnt know how to look up parts and we spend 15 20 minutes showing then the options in the catalog. The very least they can do is pay the price for our service of helping them get something they didnt know existed or know how to look up themselves. Youd be surprised how many peoole dont know how to look up parts and accessories.

And I have given people discounts on stuff that was a really old odd part we figured we would never sell. Or a pindle hitch that for some reason was $419.99. Seriously? Our cost was so low I lowered it to 64.99. Thats crazy. It had to have been a mistake. And not all parts and accessories are a 40% profit margins. Its usually 30% some are less even. My main point is when someone buys a machine they have a warranty. No dealerships mean no warranty. The people who arent mechanical, no one to service their machines. They arent there to rob you. They provide a service to the public and businesses. You dont want to spend money there. Then don't. But alot of people do. Alot of people dont know how to find the rights parts, they dont know how to work on them either.

You dont go to Wal-Mart and barter with the cashier do you? You dont barter at the gas station after you filled up? You go to stores and pay the price you give. Why people see dealership as a place to barter is something I dont understand at all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wouldn't say it sucks, but it is very temperamental. Forms and Facebook pages are mostly full of the people that know how to do basic maintenance. The dealers dont make very much money off of these type of people, They make the money off the other 80% of the consumer. The typical flow of the snowmobile industry is: OEM-->Dealer-->Consumer. There is very little attachment from the OEM to the consumer and Vise versa and this IMO is a large problem.

The other problem is that there are so many models wanted by the consumer that it becomes cost prohibitive to build them. For Example, AC used to have something like 100 different models to try and appease the consumers. But this has to be cutting into the profit margin due to line change over. AC has since cut down the amount models and provided a solid option to entry level product (Blast) with one of the most powerful single cylinder 2 stroke engines ever with the cherry on top of modern fuel injection. when Released the most of the Form and facebook people complained that the price was too high. But as said in a post above about the Harley example, The tooling has to be paid for, and it is not economical to pay it up front not knowing true volumes. The Price on new models will come down as tooling cost is phased out.

The sledding industry is a tough one and margins are slim. Most people do not understand what it takes to make a new sled from the ground up and the cost involved. This is why many OEM's have a hard time investing in Radically new designs, which only 20% want the new design.

This rant was all over the place lol

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It has gone all over the place lol I'm just glad I'm out of powersports on the other side of the counter. My new job is great and will actually take me somewhere. And hey me and my wife just bought a beautiful house and its only 4 blocks away from the trail. Has room in the garage for the sleds, with a heated garage and a place for the trailer. I'm so happy to make it my hobby again.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Parts and service is where a dealer makes money. Lucky to make 10% on a sled sale.

Bob

21 - 32 of 32 Posts