Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dana (F5-Snopro) and I were out tonight in Southern NH, to see about fixing my hole shot. With my Sled in Ethanol Mode and the Coupling Blocks set to two he was pulling my F7 by three sled lenghts out of the hole. Then when I switched to Regular Mode, it was down to 1.5 lengths, and then we remooved the coupling blocks and I was dead even out of the gate and would slowly, but surely pull away to 3-4 sled lenghts...all over a 500 ft or so run....

This is the same place he posted about yesterday and got some flack for not allowing the bigger sleds he was pulling enough space to get going...well, let me say this...my GPS read 73.4 mph and we were in the dark...it was 4:45 when we started and about 6:30 when we finished...so every run was in the dark and we had to be careful so as to not fly off into the woods.

That F5 Sno Pros pulls like a MOFO and it does it every time...and 500 ft is more than they run in the grass drags and 70 mph plus is pretty damn good going up an incline the entire time...My Point is simple, His F5 Sno Pro is 100% the real deal and will piss a lot of larger sleds off when they race...sure people will pull him in anything longer than an 1/8 mile, but for that 1/8 mile there will be a lot of ticked off larger sleds. :D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
no , nothing is wrong , black saber7's sled pulled just like bosssho's f-7 . the only difference is that blacksaber's 7 would get me a little bit ,even on the holshot ,because he has a sno-pro track like me and bosssho has the standard track.
if you have an f-7 go race an f-5 that has bee tweaked to the rider and see for yourself, either that or i have an f-5 that has something to prove. :p

also these are the numbers from the port-a-tree shootout for the f-5------------>distance 660 1000 1320
mph 69.23 73.77 76.92

if you notice they only got the sled to run 69.23 mph in 660 feet, my f-5 ran 70+ in about 400 ft on johns gps because we were side by side . next step im doing is breaking out my stalker radar gun and doing 0-60 times and compare them with a few different f-7's . hey, im not complaining ! ^_^

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing wrong with my F7 is it's not an F9 :lol:

Seriously, there was nothing wrong and knock on wood, it's been fine post new top end. I GPSed my sled at 105.8 on Back Lake two weeks ago and that was only side to side at an angle, rather than the length of the ice and the conditions were slushy junk...so it pulls fine...My RPMs were right around 7900-8080 so again, it's pulling. Like others I was a tractionless mess on ice, but with my stud setup, that is the norm I guess. I am going to fine tune the suspension as I go, but without the Coupling blocks, my sled was pulling some good hole shot wheelies and it was right with Dana's Sno Pro Track which is pretty impressive.

Oh, and remember...if you read Dana's post from yesterday...He was stunning MXZ 800s, XC 700s, SXR 700s, ZL 800 EFIs. etc...so if there is something wrong with my Sled, than Sabercat7 (Chris) has a dud, and so do all those aforementioned sleds Dana beat or hung with for 400 + feet...

·
Registered
38 Posts
f-5snopro,
What setup are you running to make your F5 pull so hard. I would like to try it on my F5 Sno Pro if we get any snow around here. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ok, here is what i have done to my f-5

changed the helix from the straight 51 to a 51/53 (thanks dan)
removed 2 shims from the secondary
indexed the plugs

thats it , no more no less . BUT !(hint hint)i have made sure everything is adjusted "properly" and within cats specs .
i have about just over 700 miles on my sled and it still has the plugs in it that came in the sled the day i got it . after a wot pass they are a nice light brown in color, it could stand to be leaned down a bit and it would gain a little rpm on top , but like ive been saying top speed means nothing to me . i also broke it in the way gls said too............

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dana's sled is just plain FAST. I can pull him from the line, but I'da thought the F7 would be ahead more. I can tell ya if we had about 200' more, I think I'd just start pullin away.

I could EAT UP all of the sleds he was racin on Sunday, and wast up Back lake with them on Saturday. If we still got snow tomorrow, and you want to run some lines out in the field, just call me. I'd be interested in you bringin out the traps so we can base it on something. John, whatcha ya doin tomorrow? I live about 5 minutes from Bear Brook Parking area, and can make it if you guys come up.

We can compare set-ups, and decide if its a track issue. I'm sure thats it, but It seems DRASTIC :wacko:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
So what u are trying to tell use is
a 104 hp machine is beating a 137hp?
in 500 or so ft??YA RIGHT
there is somthing wrong with
ur guy's f7's...watch out the z440
might be next to beat ya!!
sorry had to say it.lol

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris,

The weather sucks today and I am buried with Sh*t I have to get done, but if tomorrow is nice, I could come up in the afternoon...I think it's supposed to be 50 and raining though.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Rev them up...What Chris and I are saying, and being dead honest about, is that Dana's sled will run dead even with us...if not get a hole shot sometimes, and then we pull away within the 4-500' we are racing in. Now I have a standard track with an effed up 1.075 stud pattern and Chris has a Sno Pro track with no studs...I think. I had to remoove my coupling blocks to pull Dana's F5 even out of the hole, and I think I beat him out of the hole twice...but with the blocks in, he was getting a good 1-3 sleds on me before I woudl catch right up and go by him...but not blow by him...his sled is set up perfect.

Now, if Chris and I did the same clutching and Helix work as Dana with our Plugs indexed and Suspension all set to us...maybe we would get him from the line and then some, but we will have to wait and see.

Lastly, I believe I said this already, but when we started last night I was still in Ethanol mode from Pittsburg, NHs Gas, and He was killing me out of the hole...when I switched that made a big difference...same as on Back Lake...I was shooting a flume of Sh*t at the launch until I swithched to Regular Mode.

So in conclusion...Dana is proving that against two F7s, if properly set up, an F5 will more than hold it's own, until the 40+/- HP takes over...remember torque, launch technigue (reaction time/throttle control), traction (track) and conditions all make a huge difference on the start...HP is for the Top End more than anything.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Traction is probably the most important part of setup for the first 500'. That is why the 500sp is running with the 700 standard for short distances. I have had a 800 ZR for the past 2 seasons. 1" track. Last year my buddy got a 02 edge X 600 with the 1.25" track. No matter what I could not loose him by even a ski length until we hit at least 70-80 mph. If you want to be quick down low the sno pro track is the way to go.
Cat S.

·
Registered
29 Posts
so I take it,Dana is not talking of going back to poo
next year no more,hehehe,AC must have been reading
about his problems this fall and when they gave him a new sled they made sure he got one of the good performing ones to get some good press out of him hehehe

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Ive been stating since this website went up that the f5 would kick ass.My 2001 and 2002 zr500apvs would constantly stay with bigger sleds up to 70-80 mph and this is no b.s.!!!!I would race any zr600 - mxz600 any place any time and beat most stock for stock.The polaris xcsp600 could beat me but the xcsp500 no way,hell i proved it again on lake gogebic this weekend all day on saturday.Now my f5 thats a whole different ballgame.Rode with a 99 xc700-2001 mxz600-viper-2001 xcsp600 and 2002 xcsp700 all weekend long,guys i never met except the mxz.Me and my wife had a blast on our zr500 and f5.The only sled that impressed me was the xcsp700 on the lake- take that viper and throw it in the garbage,worst suspension ive ever rode,and also who ever said a viper was fast,the 01 xcsp600 was beating him also,mostly racing from 20mph and up,not alot of snow on the lake,but the only sled that impressed me was the xcsp700.By the way i had my f5 standard over 100mph many many times,this thing flies.Only thing ive done is rejet and clutch alignment,all bulletins done on my sled,and oil pump adjusted perfect,oil pump adjustment was way off from factory,used a quart and a half in 100 miles,now about half that amount,i love this sled,and so did everyone else that rode it,they where all talking crap in the beginning of the weekend,boy did there tune change.By the way there where very few firecats on lake gogebic this weekend,i had the only f5 at THE HOOP,funniest thing happened sat. night,was leaving to go back to hotel and this pro x 800 pulls up to me wanting to race my f5.Either this guy got his ass handed to him by a f7 or he was blind.I will say this every sled and i mean every sled wants to race these firecats.No i didnt race the guy,im not that stupid,just thought it was funny!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should have raced him...ya know what...if all the 800s out there from competitors think they can kick an F5's ass...You can do two things...ask the guy for a sled lenght or two to compensate for engine size and or remoove your F5 Decals and really piss em off like Dana does...if they actually give you the head start they will be really mad when they need a half mile to catch you... :D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
rev,
step out of the hp box for a minute and think about this . the f-7 will beat me along with the other big hp sleds but not until i hit the 75 mph mark . i set up my sled for me and me only plus i know how to launch it . im not saying nor have i ever said that i can beat them on top speed runs but if someone shows up to race me in that field or straights like it, they had better know how to race .
the problem starts when a guy shows up on an edge x 800 (example)and thinks he has the fastest sled on the planet, but the key word is fastest . like i just said , im not fast, im QUICK! im not into going 100+ mph, i like riding trails and little drag races like the ones we are talking about .
there is nothing wrong with the f-7's just like there is nothing wrong with the mxz's,poo 800 and 700's ect ect ect . the shootout that was done with the f-5 that only did 69 mph in 660 shows that there was something wrong with that sled just like i thought when i saw the results. when that test was done i think i already had close to 200 miles on my sled and knew what a proper running 5 was capable of.
if you live near southern nh , let me know id be more than happy to make some runs with you and show you what the f-5 can really do or wait till the firecat ride that will be in the new england area real soon . im not trying to brag about my little 500 but mearly making some valid points about what the f-5 can really do. i read every day on here about people racing their f-7's and nobody seems to question their claims.
i post my results with my f-5 and some people are basically making comment saying the f-7s are not running right or there is "no way" that could be . remeber this though, cat called their f-5 a "giant killer " when they advertised it and i think its the reasons i posted that they named it that . i also had 2 different members witness this and bosssho took my sled for a run, so what else do i have to do to make the non belivers believe ? i like little drags and such and will line up against anything , just like i did on back lake , i knew id loose , but so what , im having fun and if i do lose i can fall back on the "its only a 500" reason, but if im right there with an 800 , what can they say for an excuse? not enough room? then dont race and lok like a fool ! :lol: :p :lol: :p
ill be riding new years day and thursday night in the same spot if anyone wants to watch :)

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by f-5snopro@Dec 31 2002, 04:57 AM
ok, here is what i have done to my f-5

changed the helix from the straight 51 to a 51/53 (thanks dan)
removed 2 shims from the secondary
indexed the plugs

thats it , no more no less . BUT !(hint hint)i have made sure everything is adjusted "properly" and within cats specs .
Need to do the same to the F7 and I bet it isn't even close.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Damn i want to watch-because thats all i can do here in wisconsin,was up in the 40s here and u.p. of michigan yesterday but cooled off again-damn im getting sick of trailering the past couple years-but the f5s kick ass-remember guys the 2001 zr500 apv pulled a 13.4 quarter in the am snow shootout box stock-my f5 waves goodbye to my 01 500 apv and thats with my 105# wife on the zr-you figure it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts