Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, The Mighty Mac got us Sunday morning (2/24) around 10:25am.

We left the Super 8 in St Ignace around 10:20am Sunday morning. We thought about jumping in the Hot Tub first but we thought we should get on the road before the temps start going down and it starts snowing. (4 hr ride home for us) Got to the toll booth heading south and paid the toll for crossing the bridge. The attendant told us to keep in the right hand lane at 20 mph.

We started driving across the bridge and shortly after getting close to the first tower and cables we noticed ice falling from the cables into the northbound lanes of I-75. I told everyone in the truck about the falling ice and not 5 seconds later it sounded like a shotgun went off in the cab. Windshield smashed and 100's of pieces of glass scattered thru the cab. Luckily it didn't completely break thru the windshield. The wife started freaking out but my friend that was driving held steady, no swerving, no brakes. But we weren't off the bridge yet and more ice started falling just feet in front of the truck. We moved into the left hand southbound lane and continued on crossing the bridge. After we got to the lower peninsula we pulled off immediately at the first exit for Mackinaw city and called the Mackinaw city police to make an accident report.

When we called the Police they were like oh someone already called about this, but we were like we didn't call, we got hit by ice too!

So the Police showed up (Super nice down to earth guy) and let us know he was going to help the first guy that called in who was parked in the Shell station parking lot. We walked over to see the damage to his truck and this is what we saw!

We got extremely lucky compared to this guy. Luckily this guy didn't have a passenger in his truck or it could have been way worse.

After getting the accident report from the Police officer we asked him where we can find a car wash with a vacuum to use to clean up all the glass inside the truck. He told us all of the ones in town were closed for the winter and we could come back to the police station to use their shop vac. So we did that then we went to the Dixie Saloon to get lunch and figure out a game plan for the rest of the day.

After eating we figured we better not try to drive home in this blizzard so we putted down US31 to our favorite hotel in Alanson, Crooked river lodge.

We got there and they even let us check in early... after that we unloaded the sleds and took off in the blizzard like conditions to make the best out of the day.. Put on 50 miles or so, headed out to Moosejaw and back. Trails were completely flat, perfectly groomed. The snow out there was DEEEP, in some spots easily 4ft. Almost as deep as the snow around Tahquamenon falls!

We were hoping to have a windshield installed somewhere up there Monday, but that didn't happen. We called every place we could find but these 2016 F150 windshields are different that most other trucks and nobody had one in stock. We ended up just having to putt home Monday driving down the back way most of the trip

Anyways, we made it home to ride another day. Next time we cross the Mighty Mac, if its above 32 degrees in the winter, we will be thinking twice about it. Plus it didn't help that it rained in St. Ignace off and on from around 1am till the time we left

Just wanted to share this with everyone, be careful if its above freezing and your crossing the bridge.
I swear the pieces of ice falling looked like 6-8ft swords ... not sure how thick they were, but they were long and could go right thru a sunroof easily and possibly kill someone. The truck we were in had a full length panoramic sunroof, luckily we weren't going 1 or 2 mph faster... could have been deadly

Edit: They closed the bridge about 5 minutes after we got to the other side. Too bad we didn't hit the hot tub before we left the hotel, timing and decisions are everything. Little decisions can play a big role in the overall picture.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
damn that is brutal! i am glad no one got hurt in either truck! really nice of the cops to lend you the vac, last thing you want is to find glass in the most painful areas. great that your friend stayed in control as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Very glad you are OK. I posted a picture of the bridge truck that got hit last year. Every now and then someone bitches about them closing the bridge for falling ice. This is why, and I hope everyone takes notice, it is 100% about safety, not about messing with people.

Way back in the day they would just cone off the outside lanes and let people drive across. Times have changed, and our society will not allow that level of risk anymore.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, we all feel like we dodged a bullet that day. Could have been way worse.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a video from a few years back on the bridge... these are the exact types of "icicle death spears" we got hit by.

Could have easily been 4ft, 6ft even 8+ feet in length

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
my hell no meter says NOPE! i've seen it happen, thankfully never hitting anyone... terrifying.

·
Registered
374 Posts
b.lee, glad your ok. Dam with that glass every where in your truck lucky nobody got any in there eyes.
Thats funny we where at Crooked river lodge on friday. Nice place.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Very lucky indeed B.Lee, one of my friends was the last one to cross northbound

before they shut it down. another one got stuck on the south side headed north
for a couple hours. they reopened it, then shut it back down I was told. we were
up in Baraga where the blizzard really hit. couldn't ride for 2 days, so we headed to Newberry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts