Hardcore Sledder banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
45,635 Posts
From what I read. Its a ban on SALES for gas power equipment in California. It seems to me you can still maintain your current gas powered equipment. Or just go to another state to buy one.

Stupid law.
Idk, I think its both the way i got it. No more sales after jan 2024 and usage. Whats next....the small gas engine police? Gotta remember this is california.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I was by a friends race shop today who really wants to build a 2 stroke monster to compete with 4s turbos at the big grass races.(At Haydays this year the best run was a [email protected] mph in 500 ft.)I mentioned skipping over that and finding somebody to help build an electric sled.After a little eye rolling and me explaing what a tesla is capable of these days he agreed that it might not be the worst idea.The fast sleds are wild money these days once they are tuned so it might even be “cheap” to do electric in comparison….or it might cost double with the r&d😂

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was by a friends race shop today who really wants to build a 2 stroke monster to compete with 4s turbos at the big grass races.(At Haydays this year the best run was a [email protected] mph in 500 ft.)I mentioned skipping over that and finding somebody to help build an electric sled.After a little eye rolling and me explaing what a tesla is capable of these days he agreed that it might not be the worst idea.The fast sleds are wild money these days once they are tuned so it might even be “cheap” to do electric in comparison….or it might cost double with the r&d😂
🙄🙄

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Id be more concerned about getting incinerated if a battery shorted out powering 600hp.
A friend of mine told me there is a parking lot nearby that is full of chevy bolts.I guess its far away from anything in case they catch fire.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I did find another 200hp. Vehicle application. Still needs 300volts. Weights 150 pounds by itself. 5000usd. Only problem with one is it runs at 5000 rpm. So a bit slow for a sled application IMO.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Taiga already runs 180 hp in their sleds/watercraft so Im sure there are way bigger options available.
Im talking drag sled here so the battery life isnt as important.
Yes I saw that. I think your right about the drag sled being a missle. Although I don’t see taiga being the one to do anything notable. I know they are gonna be one of the first to the game but I’m not sure they understand snowmobiling.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Look at the Rimac Nivera. 4 electric motors. 1,914 hp, 1,740 ft-lb of torque. 4740 lbs.

Here it is racing a awd Ferrari with 1000 hp. It doesnt stand a chance. Not even close.

Skip to 3m 20s mark if you want to watch it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just a few things to note.
An edragster went over 200 mph in the 1/4 last year.
Tesla now has the worlds fastest production car with 1.9 sec 0-60 mph
What does 1.9 seconds feel like I wonder. (At that speed). Ok I concede that is fast. But the "whirr" of the motor does not excite me.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If that prediction is correct someday. I hope EVs can get the same range and full charge in 5 minutes or less at the "charge stations"
There have been battery changing stations, in and out with a fresh fully charged battery in 5 minutes or so.
It wasn't a succes, but another company is trying again.
It is a good way to have a fully charged battery very quick, but it is an expensive option. You need a lot of changing stations and a lot of extra batteries. But the more people driving and changing, the more batteries there will be in the 'pool'.

Oh, I've also read about a great way to charge trucks (trailer trucks/lorries), on overhead powerlines: https://www.optima-ect.com/news/201...eeping-electric-trucks-charged-on-the-highway
Searching for this article, to post here, I found another good idea, on rails in the road: World’s First Electric Car-Charging Road Opens In Sweden — The Road Charges Car Batteries On The Go!
There are a lot of initiatives to find ways to charge cars and trucks.

I think it won't be long before the big brands will have at least one electric snowmobile for sale. Short tourist trips will be a good market to start in, but other markets will follow soon.
I'd try one and I think I would want to eventually buy one (if I had the money for it). The torque makes it very interesting, but also the silence. Sure I'll miss the brap and the smell, but not to scare away wildlife, not have complaining landowners, not have complaining governments about emissions, etc.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
There have been battery changing stations, in and out with a fresh fully charged battery in 5 minutes or so.
It wasn't a succes, but another company is trying again.
It is a good way to have a fully charged battery very quick, but it is an expensive option. You need a lot of changing stations and a lot of extra batteries. But the more people driving and changing, the more batteries there will be in the 'pool'.

Oh, I've also read about a great way to charge trucks (trailer trucks/lorries), on overhead powerlines: https://www.optima-ect.com/news/201...eeping-electric-trucks-charged-on-the-highway
Searching for this article, to post here, I found another good idea, on rails in the road: World’s First Electric Car-Charging Road Opens In Sweden — The Road Charges Car Batteries On The Go!
There are a lot of initiatives to find ways to charge cars and trucks.

I think it won't be long before the big brands will have at least one electric snowmobile for sale. Short tourist trips will be a good market to start in, but other markets will follow soon.
I'd try one and I think I would want to eventually buy one (if I had the money for it). The torque makes it very interesting, but also the silence. Sure I'll miss the brap and the smell, but not to scare away wildlife, not have complaining landowners, not have complaining governments about emissions, etc.
Thats some cool stuff there. I think alot of the "issues" will be solved with EV. Its just a matter of time, effort, and imagination.

It would be nice to have a quiet sled that has no immediate emissions. Thats a very good point.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts