Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
An electric string trimmer would never work for us. Too much to trim. I hear ya on the 18V. I carry a Milwaukee 18v impact in the truck. No way I could get the lug nuts off without it.
I do have AAA, but in the North country with spotty cell I don't rely on it. We also have a good compressor/jumpbox we travel with. And an air tank. One year we lost a lot of air in a trailer tire and it was a godsend.

My hubby carrys 3 toolboxes too. And spare parts.

But an electric snowmobile? I can't see me ever having one.

But if I get a chance to drive one I will.
Yeah, kind of agree on the hedge trimer...their nice, i borrowed my brothers stihl, its works well when it works, but too expensive for my tastes. He's already spent nearly what i did to buy my echo gas trimer in just repairs. Its not very reliable even if its a battery powered electric. My gas echo runs perfect anytime i use it, and costs pennies to operate.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
In reality tech gets rolled out decades after the military uses it. The internet was a military invention according to the family computer geek. Yes FB was a college thing, but the data transfer system was military.

I worked for Perkin Elmer in the early 80's in the Micro-Line devision (semi conductors) and that tech was way ahead of what the average Joe knew about.

I've been told by guys from places like Sikorsky that tech can be as much as 80 years ahead of the "common man". I tend to agree with this from my own limited experience.

With each successive "upgrade" an equal or in some cases an increase in loss of freedom. Loss of control. Loss of accessability. Increase in cost. Like this right here...our lives, our personal things...out in the public domain.

With technology comes control, and loss of freedom. I know there are those that don't see it that way. But for me over time I've seen it.

I remember when you could go to the airport and buy a ticket and just get on the plane. With cash. No security, removing footwear. Yada yada.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Your dreaming if you keep thinking that way. Were already seeing what i predicted last year would happen.
Gas is 20 cents more than the past few years. But since I got my new truck. I'm actually saving fuel money because of its mpgs compared to my 97 f150. Thats one reason why I'm sceptical about gas engines becoming too expensive. They are still the most dominant powerplant for vehicles. They will remain dominant for some time for sure. I also remember people saying all sleds will be 4 stroke by now because of EPA emission standards. That was a bad prediction. Engine tech is still growing as well. Free valve engines could be the future too. I hope they are.

So I wont worry about it today.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I'm with you 100% on what you said. A battery operated lawn mower is one of the best moves I made. Got a second battery and a quick charger/maintainer. Same batteries work in my hedge trimmer.

Weed wacker, drill, my two impacts and my leaf blower all use the same 18v batteries. 4 smaller batteries and one very big 18v and a quick charger for those as well.

I used to have to have multiple gas cans. Some mixed, some straight gas. Had to drive to get oil. Had to drive to fill up gas. Id get so worked up when I didn't have enough gas to mow the lawn and had to run to the gas station or get oil.

Thats all in the past now. Except for my gas snow blower. A small one gallon gas can is all I need for that. And its really good on fuel.

As tech grows, EV will grow with it. So will gas engines too.
Im all about performance wherever it comes from.Not too long ago I still laughed at electric Impact wrenches vs high quality pneumatic.Well,a couple years later the electric is on par with the best pneumatic air guns out there.
Lets also not forget that the quickest 0 to 60 production car is electric.Ive already been kicking around the idea of an electric drag race sled.The power /weight ratio has to just move a little bit yet.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
Gas is 20 cents more than the past few years. But since I got my new truck. I'm actually saving fuel money because of its mpgs compared to my 97 f150. Thats one reason why I'm sceptical about gas engines becoming too expensive. They are still the most dominant powerplant for vehicles. They will remain dominant for some time for sure. I also remember people saying all sleds will be 4 stroke by now because of EPA emission standards. That was a bad prediction. Engine tech is still growing as well. Free valve engines could be the future too. I hope they are.

So I wont worry about it today.
Your not saving anything. Its cost you more for the new truck than you'll ever get back in gas savings, let alone depreciation. Fuel is about a $1.30 higher here then last year at this time, soo i don't know when it was the last time you bought gas.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
Im all about performance wherever it comes from.Not too long ago I still laughed at electric Impact wrenches vs high quality pneumatic.Well,a couple years later the electric is on par with the best pneumatic air guns out there.
Lets also not forget that the quickest 0 to 60 production car is electric.Ive already been kicking around the idea of an electric drag race sled.The power /weight ratio has to just move a little bit yet.
Cordless powered small tools like that work well,l but not cheap for good stuff when you add thecost a battery and charger compared to pneumatic ones.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Your not saving anything. Its cost you more for the new truck than you'll ever get back in gas savings, let alone depreciation. Fuel is about a $1.30 higher here then last year at this time, soo i don't know when it was the last time you bought gas.
Well. Cant take the money with me when I'm dead. I can comfortably pay for gas, truck maintenance and much more. I'm simply not worried about gas engines becoming more expensive. Everything gets more expensive over time. But so do I.

When I started driving gas was 5 dollars a gallon. Driving a 89 Fleetwood with my minimum wage job in high school. 3 dollars a gallon is nothing lol I know most people watched gas go up over the years from when they first started driving. Not guys my age.

Either way. EVs are here to stay. I am kind of excited to see how far EVs evolve.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,494 Posts
I work at an oil refinery and my shop has a bunch of young guys now. They all want 3/4" drive Milwaukee battery impacts. They don't last! The duty cycle is horrible. We open flanges with 16 1.25" diameter studs per flange. After 2 flanges the battery impact is smoking hot and won't run. The old Ingersoll Rand pneumatic will hammer all day long without a hiccup! We have pneumatic impacts up to 1.5" drive. Some things just can't be replaced with batteries.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I work at an oil refinery and my shop has a bunch of young guys now. They all want 3/4" drive Milwaukee battery impacts. They don't last! The duty cycle is horrible. We open flanges with 16 1.25" diameter studs per flange. After 2 flanges the battery impact is smoking hot and won't run. The old Ingersoll Rand pneumatic will hammer all day long without a hiccup! We have pneumatic impacts up to 1.5" drive. Some things just can't be replaced with batteries.
YET

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
Geez, don't say that. I bought a 1/2'' milwaukee impact tool about a year ago. I don't use it every day, but so far its been fine. I agree on those old ingersoll pneumatic tools...they were the company i worked for way back in the day when we made tools to last.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
Well. Cant take the money with me when I'm dead. I can comfortably pay for gas, truck maintenance and much more. I'm simply not worried about gas engines becoming more expensive. Everything gets more expensive over time. But so do I.

When I started driving gas was 5 dollars a gallon. Driving a 89 Fleetwood with my minimum wage job in high school. 3 dollars a gallon is nothing lol I know most people watched gas go up over the years from when they first started driving. Not guys my age.

Either way. EVs are here to stay. I am kind of excited to see how far EVs evolve.
No you can't take it with you, but you'll appreciate it when you are old. You can live comfortably. I see many that pissed away too much money when young relying on the market, and government to support them after retirement. Now they regret it. You seem like a smart guy.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Id agree that in some situations that electric isnt as practical but you guys are really giving that stuff a workout.1.5” drive is some major heavy duty shit.I would totally agree that in some industrial settings electric isnt the answer.I still have my IR impacts for the times that I need the impact to pound away for minutes st a time.There are a lot of settings where electric whatever will never really work so Im not really arguing that its the answer for everything.People that think fossil fuels can just go away are kidding themselves .

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,464 Posts
Like snow "Masheens".
The existing grid can't handle whats thrown at it now......they better "develop" that too.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
No you can't take it with you, but you'll appreciate it when you are old. You can live comfortably. I see many that pissed away too much money when young relying on the market, and government to support them after retirement. Now they regret it. You seem like a smart guy.
Thats the truth. I'm not much of a spender really. I dont like owning "stuff". So we save pretty good. A coworker told me that he worked with a guy who blew all his money in 2 years after he retired and had to go back to work. Yikes.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

When I started driving it was 55 cents a gallon 😉at the merit.

My first car I bought...a used 69 mustang I paid $300 for it. In 1976. I think the cheapest I paid for a car was a 1970 Chevy Impala 4 door. $50 for that car. No bull. That was around 1980. Bought a Barritz Caddy for $500 back then too.

Groceries for 3 ppl for a week was like $25.

Reactions: dskofich

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
Getting back to ev's, i see california has now banned all gas power equipment that have small engines by jan 2024. Its going to have the biggest effect on landscaper business's. State is on a 0 emission mission.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
When I started driving it was 55 cents a gallon 😉at the merit.

My first car I bought...a used 69 mustang I paid $300 for it. In 1976. I think the cheapest I paid for a car was a 1970 Chevy Impala 4 door. $50 for that car. No bull. That was around 1980. Bought a Barritz Caddy for $500 back then too.

Groceries for 3 ppl for a week was like $25.
When i started driving gas was around 35 cents a gallon. Paid $900 for a 3 year old jeep with 66k miles. Bought a used 63 327 2 door chevy impala in 1973 for $50 that had about the same mileage. Best american car i owned. I drove it everywhere. Yeah, food was cheap in those days. I could eat all week for $10 or so, but i didn't make more than $3 an hr either.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,494 Posts
Getting back to ev's, i see california has now banned all gas power equipment that have small engines by jan 2024. Its going to have the biggest effect on landscaper business's. State is on a 0 emission mission.
California is stupid. They have rolling brown out now because they can't put enough juice on the grid. Gonna be some long weeds waiting on the batteries to charge lol

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
From what I read. Its a ban on SALES for gas power equipment in California. It seems to me you can still maintain your current gas powered equipment. Or just go to another state to buy one.

Stupid law.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts