Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmmm, there seem to be quite a few of us on here that want them. I guess that ruins your "....white elephant nobody is going to want" theory. Look, as Rodeo Rider said quite well electric is not for everybody. It is no panacea for combustion engines, that's for sure, but a good deal of people believe that it is an improvement. Some do not which is okay as well.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I don't jump on "new tech" like a lot do. If it works and it ain't broke, I see no reason to add more to the landfills. I get called a "luddite" by my family. Meh.

There were years I upgraded my sled very 2 or 3 seasons. When the cost went into 5 digits I said whoa...

I know a few that just have to have the latest and greatest. Whatever floats your boat.

At some point even I will need to replace my sled....but I will shuffle my current ride to the # 2 position. And keep it. I've had a spare now for a while, I like having it available for friends to use.

If I can share and make someone else happy well that's the point isn't it? I probably won't do too many miles this season. I've learned to take my fun when it's here. The rest I just shake it off. One thing I've learned is we cant control what happens to us, but we can control our own thoughts. I choose to be positive.

Ya know, that glass half full mentality.

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I may well not be ready for an electric sled for myself for some time to come. Will have to see how the tech, range, and charging situation shakes out.

I do think the next car for my wife (probably in 7 - 8 years) could well be electric. She will be retired, put less than 10K miles on it a year, and we will likely have a gas pickup in the garage too. Range for the car for that use should not be an issue for us.

I think that could work for us, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
When I was in Formula SAE the guys across the hall build an EV side by side for Textron. It got up to the same speed as the gas powered one and the same range. They brought up a very good point. It was quiet. Now I know most people here are all about engines, but imaging going deep into your hunting spot where the only noise is the wheels going over leaves grass and dirt. That would be nice.

And as far as the EV boat goes. Ive been stranded on a Jet Ski and a boat a few times due to engine failure. Engines dont solve that problem lol

EV is here to stay. So are engines. They can share the market. You dont have to go EV if you dont want to.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmmmm, there seem to be quite a few of us on here that want them. I guess that ruins your "....white elephant nobody is going to want" theory. Look, as Rodeo Rider said quite well electric is not for everybody. It is no panacea for combustion engines, that's for sure, but a good deal of people believe that it is an improvement. Some do not which is okay as well.
Bla bla bla.... drink some some more cool-aid.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
When I was in Formula SAE the guys across the hall build an EV side by side for Textron. It got up to the same speed as the gas powered one and the same range. They brought up a very good point. It was quiet. Now I know most people here are all about engines, but imaging going deep into your hunting spot where the only noise is the wheels going over leaves grass and dirt. That would be nice.

And as far as the EV boat goes. Ive been stranded on a Jet Ski and a boat a few times due to engine failure. Engines dont solve that problem lol

EV is here to stay. So are engines. They can share the market. You dont have to go EV if you dont want to.
Not sure how long the internal combustion engine is here to stay, as the industry has been told to push ev's hard. I have a bad feeling politically that their going to make owning a vehicle powered by an engine so expensive to operate, one will not have much choice.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Not sure how long the internal combustion engine is here to stay, as the industry has been told to push ev's hard. I have a bad feeling politically that their going to make owning a vehicle powered by an engine so expensive to operate, one will not have much choice.
They will stay. No way oil, gas, gas stations, manufactures, and citizens will allow Evs to be forced on anyone. In reality its not the vehicles that are expensive. Its the tech and luxury we demand that makes them expensive. Just like sleds. They could make fuel injected engines cheaper no problem. Its the R&D focused on performance that we pay for. Its the R&D on the tech we demand. I'm talking about sled BTW. You can get cheap cars still... Its just no one wants them.

Gas engines we got figured out. EVs arent.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,892 Posts
At one point the prevailing wisdom was that automobiles with internal combustion engines could never replace a horse. That wisdom turned out not to be all that wise...

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
They will stay. No way oil, gas, gas stations, manufactures, and citizens will allow Evs to be forced on anyone. In reality its not the vehicles that are expensive. Its the tech and luxury we demand that makes them expensive. Just like sleds. They could make fuel injected engines cheaper no problem. Its the R&D focused on performance that we pay for. Its the R&D on the tech we demand. I'm talking about sled BTW. You can get cheap cars still... Its just no one wants them.

Gas engines we got figured out. EVs arent.
Its not a matter if combustion engines will still be around, but how many will afford to keep them. On a smaller scale its like the old incandescent light bulb, and fluorescent tubes when going to led now....really doesn't pay to keep them. At any rate only time can tell.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I don't know why you make that comment. It's pretty obvious there are many "technological changes" being pushed on to us. Nano technology for one....But if being aware of this and speaking about it well I don't see how it coorelates to being a "fringe" concept.

Maybe it's an age thing. I'm 60, I grew up without tv. On a farm. Not modern anything. Shit not even an electric can opener LOL
Most modern device we had was a rebuilt White tractor. And that didn't even have power steering. We did have a phone...one phone. With a 15' cord for the headset 😆

House was heated with 3 woodstoves. So maybe some of us like to keep things simpler. And appreciate and trust what we know and use.

I will say that the longer one lives, the more you learn. And see. And it's not crazy to be concerned at what is coming. Experience does that.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Its not a matter if combustion engines will still be around, but how many will afford to keep them. On a smaller scale its like the old incandescent light bulb, and fluorescent tubes when going to led now....really doesn't pay to keep them. At any rate only time can tell.
What makes you think people wont be able to afford them? Fuel prices in the future or somethibg else?

If that prediction is correct someday. I hope EVs can get the same range and full charge in 5 minutes or less at the "charge stations"

If EVs get to the point where all the gas stations fuel pumps are now charging stations, that can charge a car in less that 5 minutes, and the cars range is what we have today. And we have a grid to support it all. Id be happy.

·
Registered
45,055 Posts
What makes you think people wont be able to afford them? Fuel prices in the future or somethibg else?

If that prediction is correct someday. I hope EVs can get the same range and full charge in 5 minutes or less at the "charge stations"

If EVs get to the point where all the gas stations fuel pumps are now charging stations, that can charge a car in less that 5 minutes, and the cars range is what we have today. And we have a grid to support it all. Id be happy.
I think it'll be everything from fuel, maintenance/ repair costs, property taxs, to environmental/emssion charges to own one these vehicles if registered to drive. Some of this stuff is already getting pretty expensive in our state. Wouldn't even be surprised depending what political party is in charge that they come up with another federal tax, or fee for us to keep these vehicles in service.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
But no 2 stroke smell or braap. Just a "whirr". As another said I guess quiet is beneficial for hunting. But how are you dragging the animal out anyway? Behind the sled on a plastic sled?

I see the rabbit hunters during the winter. With their beagles in a box mounted on the back.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I think it'll be everything from fuel, maintenance/ repair costs, property taxs, to environmental/emssion charges to own one these vehicles if registered to drive. Some of this stuff is already getting pretty expensive in our state. Wouldn't even be surprised depending what political party is in charge that they come up with another federal tax, or fee for us to keep these vehicles in service.
Well. I hope that doesnt happen.
I dont think it will.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You have 11% tax rate up there yes? Last time I checked. Vs our heck I don't remember but it's up there. At least double that.

Edit: my tax rate is 33.9%. C'mon man LOL

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
174 Posts
Battery operated electric devices have been and will continue to come. We can kick and scream that we don't like it but it will happen. When? There will be mass adoption when there's little to no perceive benefit to sticking with the old stuff.
It happened with tools back in the day. Corded tools became almost obsolete when cordless had decent power and battery life at a reasonably comparible price. All the yard tools like trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc. overtook gas powered for regular users when power, battery life and price came in line. (thank god because every year was a waste of hours getting gas stuff running after storage - fouled plugs, bad gas, brittle fuel lines, ugh.)

It'll be the same with cars, boats, recreational toys. Right now (other than cars perhaps) they are a novelty. In a decade or two when there's no perceived benefit to sticking with gasers they will gain mass adoption. It'll be my kids and their kids enjoying them without even a second thought of whether they are good enough, fast enough, strong enough. Things change. Man lot's of kids don't even care about getting a drivers license these days.

For now I'm just going to ride the shit out of my 2-stroke XCR this winter and enjoy every minute of the sights, smells and sounds.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Battery operated electric devices have been and will continue to come. We can kick and scream that we don't like it but it will happen. When? There will be mass adoption when there's little to no perceive benefit to sticking with the old stuff.
It happened with tools back in the day. Corded tools became almost obsolete when cordless had decent power and battery life at a reasonably comparible price. All the yard tools like trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc. overtook gas powered for regular users when power, battery life and price came in line. (thank god because every year was a waste of hours getting gas stuff running after storage - fouled plugs, bad gas, brittle fuel lines, ugh.)

It'll be the same with cars, boats, recreational toys. Right now (other than cars perhaps) they are a novelty. In a decade or two when there's no perceived benefit to sticking with gasers they will gain mass adoption. It'll be my kids and their kids enjoying them without even a second thought of whether they are good enough, fast enough, strong enough. Things change. Man lot's of kids don't even care about getting a drivers license these days.

For now I'm just going to ride the shit out of my 2-stroke XCR this winter and enjoy every minute of the sights, smells and sounds.
I'm with you 100% on what you said. A battery operated lawn mower is one of the best moves I made. Got a second battery and a quick charger/maintainer. Same batteries work in my hedge trimmer.

Weed wacker, drill, my two impacts and my leaf blower all use the same 18v batteries. 4 smaller batteries and one very big 18v and a quick charger for those as well.

I used to have to have multiple gas cans. Some mixed, some straight gas. Had to drive to get oil. Had to drive to fill up gas. Id get so worked up when I didn't have enough gas to mow the lawn and had to run to the gas station or get oil.

Thats all in the past now. Except for my gas snow blower. A small one gallon gas can is all I need for that. And its really good on fuel.

As tech grows, EV will grow with it. So will gas engines too.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
An electric string trimmer would never work for us. Too much to trim. I hear ya on the 18V. I carry a Milwaukee 18v impact in the truck. No way I could get the lug nuts off without it.
I do have AAA, but in the North country with spotty cell I don't rely on it. We also have a good compressor/jumpbox we travel with. And an air tank. One year we lost a lot of air in a trailer tire and it was a godsend.

My hubby carrys 3 toolboxes too. And spare parts.

But an electric snowmobile? I can't see me ever having one.

But if I get a chance to drive one I will.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts