Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i blew a belt and toasted the crank seal , took out the motor. it was pulling 10 -66s at the time and pulling them . my new one struggles to pull 64s and cant in some conditions.

i bought another identical sled to it this past winter, same year , model and ccs , and its a total pooch in comparison.

its like my current ones down 200 ccs in snappiness. disappointing isnt the word.

this first one in my vid was an animal for what it was. i want to get this latest one back to this level.

video of my first one makes me want to burn my current one.

so challenge accepted. i need to figure this out. the sleds are geared identical.jetted identical.

a few things i need to do is check the reeds , got boyessen petals coming for that , do my secondary over with fresh compnents and a delrin , as well as a therough cleaning. and im cutting the lug down from 2 inch to 1.3 like the first one.

any other tips to wake up this slug? i got a race to win against my old xc sp 6 that took out my new one last year ...a xc untouched since i had it , and my first rmk would embarass this exact same xc.

lets get to work , boys.

·
Registered
44,184 Posts
As far as your clutches, look for any excessive slop, especially on the primary...all pins and rollers shouldn't have any flat spots, or be excessively worn. Spider should have nearly zero play, and smooth in the tower.
Check if all the jetting in your carbs are the same as the old 600, especially the needles/clip position if any washers, or not under, or above those clips.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as your clutches, look for any excessive slop, especially on the primary...all pins and rollers shouldn't have any flat spots, or be excessively worn. Spider should have nearly zero play, and smooth in the tower.
Check if all the jetting in your carbs are the same as the old 600, especially the needles/clip position if any washers, or not under, or above those clips.
thats the one part of the carb i did not check.i did not pull the needle. pilot and mains i have confirmed as the same.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
123 ins't bad, just a tiny bit lower than you'd like to see. Could be the gauge used to. Main thing thats good, both cylinders are even.
yeah ill run her another season or two like this i think.the miles wont be significant anyway.its regulated back up /gf sled .bulk of the miles will be on the iq.man that dragon has been flawless the last 2 seasons.never fouled a plug after.always starts and runs great.fast now too. took enough money and swearing but its a good sled now.

Reactions: too slow

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what you want...try, and keep it that way.
tps i think is the secret to these things. once that was set properly , its been night and day. the clutching from gabes is legit as hell too.really woke this up.definitely not all hype, his kit works on these 7s

·
Registered
44,184 Posts
tps i think is the secret to these things. once that was set properly , its been night and day. the clutching from gabes is legit as hell too.really woke this up.definitely not all hype, his kit works on these 7s
Imo, just about sleds from polaris can benefit from a better clutch setup if doing drag runs. Polaris bases their clutching to perform in a wide range of conditions. They always leave something on the table.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imo, just about sleds from polaris can benefit from a better clutch setup if doing drag runs. Polaris bases their clutching to perform in a wide range of conditions. They always leave something on the table.
yep.mine came with the slp set up for the pipe in it when i bought it.it sucked compared to gabes

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
carbontech reeds looking alot better then the wore out oems... after readjusting the carbs fuel screws for the new reed petals the oilly / black flooding of my plugs appears to be burning much cleaner.sounds alot crisper at idle and partial throttle. success. very happy with the results.

off to a good start. tps tester be here in a few days, ill get that adjustment done next. then ill do some new clutching components. pull the valves for another good therough cleaning and new gaskets. new oem vr has solved the lighting issues.

tachometer has been sent out yesterday to the crankshop vermont' to get calibrated for a true 8000 rpms.

sliders and skid/driveshaft bearings ill do in the fall, and a good dose of grease. take a half inch off that 2 inch lug track.get this bitch rolling better.

so, my clutching /gearing, carb settings, ves system , reeds, tps should be dialed in and cleaned pretty good comparitively from when i picked this sled up. ill also get that lug cut down to a much more useable 1.3 or 1.5.loads of track still for a 144 600 and the conditions i ride in. going with the more expensive black ice bearings for the skid.who knows when those bearings were last done.

this thing should rock come next winter. ill run the same distance and see where the mphs at. i got a feeling itll pick up a few for sure.

then theres my rematch with my buddies 600. this should be fun.

going to hold off on the pipes/airbox mod stuff for this season. might be running great by this season.

anyways guys, just a little update on the new to me ' project is going.

cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cut the lug down to 1.5 today versus the 2 inch '.

only bled a little bit this time.lol. same track now essentially thats on my d7. 144 x 1.5.
1.5 track 1.jpg
1.5 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Shouldn't of stopped there, and ported the track....at the least cut it down to 1.25''
i thought about it , but ill try 1.5 for now see how she goes

i have no doubt i can do all the riding i do just fine on 1 1/4 in a 144. so i may go that route yet.

any particular tricks to porting a track?what would / should you use? circular hole saw bit in reverse?

the series 4 rmk track i got on my dragon has rectangle like windows cut out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shouldn't of stopped there, and ported the track....at the least cut it down to 1.25''
ordered up the black diamond extreme track porting tool. 1.25'.

screw it, im porting it too.why not. any particular pattern best , or just 2 holes up the middle fine?

·
Registered
44,184 Posts
i thought about it , but ill try 1.5 for now see how she goes

i have no doubt i can do all the riding i do just fine on 1 1/4 in a 144. so i may go that route yet.

any particular tricks to porting a track?what would / should you use? circular hole saw bit in reverse?

the series 4 rmk track i got on my dragon has rectangle like windows cut out of it.
Your guess is as good as mine for porting a track. I've seen them done, but never was involved doing one. We've used an electric knife in the past to trim lugs down through.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your guess is as good as mine for porting a track. I've seen them done, but never was involved doing one. We've used an electric knife in the past to trim lugs down through.
for the lugs, just a plain old utlilty knife with the break off blades seemed to work ok.took about an hour and a half taking my time. . hell of alot easier on the sled then last time with the track off trying it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts