Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what my friend has is one 99ZR600efi that had 1500 trouble free miles. On goes the D+D pipe and chip. 15 miles later the piston sqweeked and tightend up in thhe cylinder mag side. On tear down the piston was fine on top and exhaust side was not melted just tight. Called D+D they told my friend that the chip would either work or not it would not cause this type of burn down. they suggested that the oil pump starved that cylinder. So we got a replated cylinder new piston and sent them out to swain tech for plating. we changed the oil pump aand check valves and reassembled the top end. Broke the motor in a field ran it about 16 miles ran fine plugs looked brown the oil pump was using alot of oil (turned it way up). we went to munising for the first ride we pulled the ethatnal plug to add a little extra fuel. 14 miles later the piston tightened up and we towed it home. we pulled the plugs and they look good but you could feel the engine was tight and scraping. we were not running hard if anyone has been in munising lately you will know its tough to run fast mougles gallor. so i'm sure we will need new pistons maybe a jug and i'm sure D+D will say something is wrong with the motor. its almost like a 660 drag chip is in it ran like a bandit for short pulls, but burns down when holding steady speeds.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
my uncle put Bm twins and chip in his 98 zr and it went down after 800 miles and took out the top end and the crank. I would just take the pipe and chip off and put it back to stock. I have 4300 miles on my 99 zl 600 efi and have not a problem with engine.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I was told that DD built their pipe and chip combo for the early built ZR 600 and then AC recalled them and they never updated the chip until later. So there are a lot of the older chip and pipes out there. i have a buddy with the samr problems.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was a pipe and chip bought new the end of last season so i would think it would be the lattest and greatest chip and pipe design

·
Registered
899 Posts
im interested in what D&D has to say would like to know how they back performance parts before i commit to buying ive heard mostly good till your post

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
with everyone having problems with there mods, im too the point of just saying the hell with it. If you need a faster sled you should have bought a bigger engine. dont go cheap and buy that zr600 go 900 all da way.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i think i have my friend on the right page. DONT MOD your sled if you need more power buy a bigger sled. At anyrate we slamed a efi 500 motor in the chasis he had on the shelf that has 6000miles on it and ran a trouble free 200 miles on wednesday. he hardly noticed the power difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts