Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks for the link, I love reading these. The one Polaris published years ago about the Rush was a good read and shows you the OEM's are working many, many years out. I remember the article about the Rush and there was a picture of a test mule and a Redline in the background. The OEM's literally leave no stone unturned and it's great to see.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
sled manus are against the wall by the consumer. bring new and awesome on the regular, or bye bye. hard to do. do you run current chassis for a bit and make some money or make new again and hope for the best. we as consumers benefit when they run a chassis for a few years. the later versions are as good as they can get. even worse is bicycles. mountain bikes are literally new every year. it makes the parts an issue. the drivetrains change constantly too and that too is a parts nightmare. some of the changes are great while others are just to make people buy new. i will say the addition of the 1x12 drivetrain has been stellar, fat tubeless tires also have been a blessing , and frame geometry is killer. almost forgot the dropper seat post. game changer right there

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok to evolve chasis and suspension, but as far as engine, build a bullet proof consistent running engine. Don’t need to change engine that frequently.
Unfortunately as soon as one manufacturer gets a perceived advantage the magazine articles push the agenda of we need a new engine. Thus we have $23,000.00 snowmobiles. Don’t get me wrong I am as guilty as the next guy but we don’t need what is being produced. The survival of the sport is at risk at this current pace. Wait till electric is here and they are $30,000.00 and they will likely smoke all our current sleds. I would rather risk a ruptured fuel tank than roll up and extension cord. So I agree 100% engine development can slow but you also need a return on the investment of research and development within a certain amount of time. I do believe this current bottom end is going to be around for a while and I look at the turbo sleds as racer or almost collector type sleds. If I were to buy one it would be a keeper just because I know it’s likely going away, not just turbos, 2 stroke and for that matter 4 strokes engines as well. It’s a few years away I know but when I’m setting in my garage having a beer with my grandson and he says, hey let’s fire the old turbo sled up, I will have it and many of my other keeper sleds.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Unfortunately as soon as one manufacturer gets a perceived advantage the magazine articles push the agenda of we need a new engine. Thus we have $23,000.00 snowmobiles. Don’t get me wrong I am as guilty as the next guy but we don’t need what is being produced. The survival of the sport is at risk at this current pace. Wait till electric is here and they are $30,000.00 and they will likely smoke all our current sleds. I would rather risk a ruptured fuel tank than roll up and extension cord. So I agree 100% engine development can slow but you also need a return on the investment of research and development within a certain amount of time. I do believe this current bottom end is going to be around for a while and I look at the turbo sleds as racer or almost collector type sleds. If I were to buy one it would be a keeper just because I know it’s likely going away, not just turbos, 2 stroke and for that matter 4 strokes engines as well. It’s a few years away I know but when I’m setting in my garage having a beer with my grandson and he says, hey let’s fire the old turbo sled up, I will have it and many of my other keeper sleds.
i have said it before. how much faster than an 850 do we need? i'm sure the turbo is sick, but it will just make me that much more of a maniac.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
i have said it before. how much faster than an 850 do we need? i'm sure the turbo is sick, but it will just make me that much more of a maniac.
Well however much faster than an 850 we can get is what we need. And then however faster that one is we need one faster than that too. I’ll take as much performance as I can get it’s the paying for it I’m not such a big fan of.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Well, at least I can use the performance potential of a snowmobile that I paid for. I see all these high hp cars on the road, and for 98% of their life they are driven around no different then a Prius. I get the beauty and quality of a vehicle, just not spending the money on a high performance car I’m really using for a daily driver. They’re worried about noise pollution on a sled, are there any Ford mustangs without an aftermarket exhaust system?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, at least I can use the performance potential of a snowmobile that I paid for. I see all these high hp cars on the road, and for 98% of their life they are driven around no different then a Prius. I get the beauty and quality of a vehicle, just not spending the money on a high performance car I’m really using for a daily driver. They’re worried about noise pollution on a sled, are there any Ford mustangs without an aftermarket exhaust system?
Funny you mention the Ford Mustang, a GT 500 is on my bucket list. Nope not going to race it, just want one. Different strokes for different folks. Going to get hard to get any gas powered muscle car in the next ten years, not to mention a standard transmission, so better get on it.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
Yeah I can definitely see the trail boost models right next to the XCR 800, Indy 650, centurion 500, etc in the garage. I have a buddy that collects vintage Polaris machines. He ordered a boost VR1 and I know it will see limited use and he most likely will never get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Well however much faster than an 850 we can get is what we need. And then however faster that one is we need one faster than that too. I’ll take as much performance as I can get it’s the paying for it I’m not such a big fan of.
oh i know. no one complains about too much power. just not sure i want it coming at me driven by a drunken newbie

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
Amazing how long they have been working on this. Somehow, I still feel uncomfortable with the first-year turnout of these for flatland riders even though they've already got a year in the mountains.
I have one Snowchecked but still think I may let the dealer keep and sell this one themselves. At Snowcheck time the dealer was totally cool if I was to back out. I wonder how he feels about it today?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Good read, thanks for the link. The thought that keeps crossing my mind is the amount of money that has been spent on it in research and development had to be astronomical over that long of a time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Chris Burandt already has a turbo on the 9R, said it was a Carl's 900 with a turbo...Judging by how Polaris Developed the 9R, I have a feeling that turbo 900 was built in Roseau.
Yes, it's no secret that Burandt is a bit of a test bed for Polaris. I'm sure he helped develop the belt drive and Khaos skid and probably countless other innovations. Not saying he invented them or came up with the ideas, he's just a hell of a test platform with his riding ability and the amount of time he spends on the snow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts