Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind a big nut. I do mind a lame tool to with which to untighten it. Why no instructions on how to use that tool in the pouch? I did figure it out, eventually. But, the problem is that you need a 3/8" socket wrench and extention to be able to use it properly. Wait, let me just pull that socket wrench and extention outta' my a** on the trail ;) . Also, why make it of such poor strength that it can be easilly destroyed by the socket wrench if the big nut was too tight from the factory, as mine is now useless from such a process. Tip for F7 owners, go to Sears and buy a 1 1/2" (yes, it's that big) socket with a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer and you should be set for adjusting your track with a 1/2" socket wrench. I don't think it will fit in your tool pouch; so, this one is for after the ride. Other than that, I really love how that skid just comes right out, very, very nice.

·
Banned
14,036 Posts
There is almost no need to loosen the big nut, there is no reason in the world to loosen it on the trail. To tighten the track tension you just need to tighten the adjuster bolts, the axle will slide just fine, and since a track will never shrink you wont have to loosen it. If you release the rear spring tension, you don't even need to change the track adjustment to R&R the skid frame.

Krom

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that in most cases, it's not going to come to that. I didn't know that you could leave the axle alone and remove the skid. I am thinking in ZR terms, I guess. I will have to try that. Good to know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hell your lucky it was tight......my nut just about fell off sitting in the garage..maybee if yours was that tight you should not have touched itLOL :ph34r:

·
Registered
909 Posts
FYI- You can get a 38mm 6 point socket with 1/2" drive from JC Whitney for $10.00. The 38 mm fits a little tighter than the the 1-1/2 socket and is very inexpensive. If you use blue loctite and torque to 30 ft/lbs you won't have to worry about it loosening up on the trail. Anf if anyone is worrying about it falling off if it does loosen up while out riding drill a small hole through the rear axle and put a cotter key through the holes.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Everyone: Take the tool Arctic Cat provides for the axle nut and bend it so the handle is offset from the end that fits the nut. This will enable you to use it without busting your knuckles on the skid frame.

Apply blue loctite and torque to 30 ft lbs ( if your using the tool, that is about as tight as you can get it )

Paint mark the nut with a small line with a paint marked reference line on the slide rail. You can check the marks to see if the nut is loosening up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Arctic Cat the axle nut is fine. Once again the previous posts prove why you can't offer certain options to the general public, their clueless.
That tool is not for every day use, its used for an emergency when your are stuck on the trail. Too use properly, stick small end threw track window and use track as your wrench, you can't over tighten.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts