Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pretty f..king sad, we warned the goverment about minding their own business AND STAYING AWAY FROM ATV, SNOWMOBILES DIRTBIKES ETC , topline in truro looks like a ghost town, their probably next, pretty sad they just moved to a bigger location because of their booming business, then boom ,the goverment gets involved and sinks the ship!! SAD , SAD, SAD, :frech32: :frech32: :frech32:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some people don't give a rats ass about what their kids do in their spare time, so they get on a quad (with or without permission)
jam three people on it and go joyriding by the highway and disasters ensue.
If i tried that horseshit as a kid i'd pay for it dearly. The parents of these kids should be held responsible.
They should be the ones serving the sentence, not the rest of us....The government is just caving to
the people who fund their elections, lookin for that precious vote.
Lack of common sense by them should not constitute a lock down on my enjoyment.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Those dumb-asses (government) don't want to listen. I guess the don't want the provincial part of the HST on the sales from the ATV's, snowmobile's or any other OHV. The more of these dealerships that go under and close their doors for good mean less money from taxes on items they have sold to putting people out of work. Then they wonder why people leave this province for another. F--king dummies! Wonder what it cost them to put the sign up out in Alberta to encourage people to come back home? OHV tax money won't cover these kinds of things anymore. All the money for all the machine taxes over the year could have built some nice trails to drive on. It would not have even taken all of this money to so. You can complain to your local MLA's all you want. Like it was said before there are about two in the whole bunch of 40 that even care about this issue. The rest would not even realize what an OHV looks like, yet alone what a developed trail system would be! Lawyers, and doctors don't make get politician’s and that appears to be most of the problem with the new regulations! That is my rant for the day! Thanks for listening! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
EXAMPLE (Obviously not official numbers):
Number of ATVs Sold Prior to legislation=10,000 UNITS x $7,500 (Avg Price) x 14% TAX = $10.5 MILLION DOLLARS Collected by the government.

ATV sales have dropped 40-60% here in Nova Scotia:

Number of ATVs Sold NOW= 5000 UNITS x $7,500 (Avg Price) x 14% TAX = $5.25 MILLION DOLLARS

LOSS of REVENUE to the Government

$5.25 MILLION DOLLARS

This does not even take into account USED ATV SALES.

Obviously the government doesnt know how to forecast or even use a calculator to see the effects on their bottom line.

Maybe they don't really care about $5.25 Million????

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just emailed this to all of the MLAs in the province:

Good Morning to all:
My name is Andrew Burchell. A resident of Hubley Nova Scotia (Bill Estabrooks riding).
I figured all of you would appreciate this feedback since most of you are in Rural Nova Scotia.

Chronicle Herald Article:
http://www.herald.ns.ca/NovaScotia/550472.html

Why is the government funding stunts like paying for signs advertising in Alberta to draw Nova Scotians back to the province? We have nothing to offer skilled tradesmen ie related job here in NS?

4 ATV realted dealers have closed their business in the last 4 months because of the government legislation.

Product Finder, Amherst
Action Cycle, Elmsdale
Northwest Cycle and ATV, near Lunenburg
Blockhouse Sports and ATV, Blockhouse (near Mahone Bay)

EXAMPLE (Obviously not official numbers):

Number of ATVs Sold Prior to legislation=10,000 UNITS x $7,500 (Avg Price) x 14% TAX = $10.5 MILLION DOLLARS Collected by the government.
ATV sales have dropped 40-60% here in Nova Scotia:
Number of ATVs Sold NOW= 5000 UNITS x $7,500 (Avg Price) x 14% TAX = $5.25 MILLION DOLLARS
LOSS of REVENUE to the Government
$5.25 MILLION DOLLARS
This does not even take into account USED ATV SALES.
Obviously the government doesnt know how to forecast or even use a calculator to see the effects on their bottom line.

Maybe, you the government, doesn't really care about $5.25 Million????

My questions to all of you:

Where are you going to make this revenue back up ,besides increasing the registration fee on OHVs (which are declining anyway)?

How are you going to presonally gain popularity in Rural Nova Scotia? Attempt to remedy these OHV changes that have slaughtered this sport and way of life.

What are you personally going to do to address the issues of ATV dealers going bankrupt? Local gas stations and stores feeling the pressure from the OHV changes?

This is a very large issue for all of you to ignore. I suggest that appropriate changes be made or many more dealers will be going bankrupt, and the TAX revenue that you as a government collect will shrink to nothing.

Andrew Burchell
5 Hope Ave
Hubley, NS B3Z 1B8
902 476 3854
[email protected]

·
Registered
189 Posts
The money grab has to end in order to ressurrect the sport. If everybody takes one year off from purchasing trail passes, registering OHV's, and trading up...everyone will get the message. It will be tough on a few dealers but I bet they are pretty marginal anyway. It's not up to me to feed any other family except for mine. I have recreational property in Sutherlands area and my young fellows can't even enjoy the area anymore without getting chased by the OHV officers. The real problem is going to manifest itself when young males get their first sport bike without any dirt riding experience. I was talking to a 16 yr old and hid dad at Freedom with 0 riding experience looking at a 636. I was testing out a new zx10r and the dad asked me for my opinion on his son. I told him to order the casket at hte same time as the bike.

The new rules are discouraging everyone from making OHV purchases and teaching their children at a young age. The new courses are BS. The younger we get our children on dirtbikes of an appropriate size the sooner they will become responsible, safe riders. Make it easy and the industry will flourish. All the "accidents" which resulted in the deaths which caused the OHV act were the result of brainless thinking. Training does not prevent acts of cerebral lapse but only benefits the few who are collecting the money. It is ironic the OHV officers aren't even required to take the useless coarse but us guys that have been driving for 40 yrs+ are required to. When the fun goes out of it and it is difficult to do....people won't bother.
Just my 2cents

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well said!

·
Registered
172 Posts
The government takes our money for snowmobiling and spends it somewhere else. WTF! How about raising fines and wat, get there money that way and put it into something that will make a difference. I'm young but I've seen some major changes in the sport since the government got involved. I found something I like now it's goin down the drain.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i was wondering if the dealers are going to step up and go after the government for some changes that will make it better for everyone. or at least make them clarify the rules so everyone is on the same page. everywhere ya go somebody says something about the rules and go somewheres else it's different. that way if we knew all the ins and outs people may decide to buy an new atv if they know where they can and can't drive it. as far as i'm concerned it's all a joke but ya can't do nothing about but it sucks seeing dealers go out of business. makes it harder to get parts and service for people that use to have a dealer next door.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well said RX1
If the dealers want to remain dealers they will lobby the Gov't to ease restrictions for a while. Fines and fees are just going to turn existing and future off roaders away. Parts for machines are simple and easier to get in our global economy than ever...Ebay, Royal Distributing, and a host of on-line services. Our market is so miniscule that it does not matter to the suppliers and manufactures or they would be helping to keep it going with more assistance. Maybe the Federal Gov't should make the same rules for all of Canada...if they are even needed. Tax grabs for permits, plates, passes, fines, training amount to more than the cost of the vehicle over time so most folks are now saying it is too expensive and not worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts