Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,126 Posts
I’ve said this for years! None of them except goodwin have ever provided the et and mph data from testing. We hear Rick talk about timers all the time ever see the numbers? Rick had his chance in 18 with me to refund his useless clutch kit for my assault that wasn’t any faster than stock if not slower in et. His arrogance and refusal to admit it was junk along with the constant claims of his 6xx beating 8xx sleds are the reasons why he has zero credibility with me. I test all season against a mule and gps to ensure I post accurate info for everyone.

@caddisfly I could care a less about going to a drag race at all, and why should I go to him? His product didn’t work where I ride that’s on him to come prove otherwise. Same old snake oil just a different salesman. I’ve been ar forums over 20 years and seen all kinds of claims and flavors of the week. Believe me there is nothing special about his stuff. If you think a clutch kit is the reason a guy is faster than another racing xc then the factory would have the completely useless. I’m sorry Polaris has the best clutching in the business and I simply know better than that foolishness.
Not trying to stick you in an argument of your knowledge because I know you are definitely a man that enjoys his riding as much as anybody. I have to ask you one question just because I'm curious where your thoughts are?
You say Polaris has the best clutching in the industry. Are you saying that when tuners start changing springs, weights or helix's there's no gains because Polaris stock clutching has already got the best thing going?

I'm no clutching guru but I have tried a few clutch kits. "GABES, SLP and RICK'S" I will say some are better than others. There's different stock sled models that aftermarket clutch kits have more to be gained with as well. So safe to say I've seen bigger smiles from some kits over others just on the model of sled I put the clutch kit on. Let's not forget that some stock sleds are better than others as well. Not all sleds off the showroom floor are created equal in my opinion. I have seen and witnessed that we do have our share of turds and over achievers. Shouldn't be this way but in my opinion every new sled is a roll of the dice. "Especially with new models!!"

I will say this about Rick. He has helped me with many of my sleds in basic tune ups as well as helping solve runnability issues and some of my performance aftermarket products I've used over the years. He has always treated me right. His charges for his work he has done has never been out of line or what I felt was expensive. He is way more thorough than any dealer and always does the job right and does the small things I never have asked of him to do because he knows what to do when he's digging in and around each particular project. I appreciate someone that simply does the job right rather than strictly sticking to only the job I asked for him to do. He knows quality when he see's it and quickly calls out shit just the same. I had one problematic sled that he spent many many hours on troubleshooting for me. When I got the sled back it was much improved and I was a much happier camper but it still had minor glimpses of the issues that we couldn't get 100% erased. When he billed me I felt bad because the bill was so small. He said he couldn't charge me for a lot of his hours because he didn't feel he erased all of the issue completely. It turns out that my sled had mapping issues and hidden bugs that I never really 100% got rid of. I had spent many trips to several Polaris dealers and each time I'd get my sled back and had the same old turd. Rick tuned my sled up to the point where I had little complaints and overall was satisfied with the huge improvements even though I could still every so often still feel a slight hic up of the original problems that had pissed me off to no end. I'm a pretty picky person and when swapping sleds with buddies everybody that got off my sled thought it was pretty dam sweet. He went above and beyond for me where dealers would never have offered there time to do for me and if they had I'd of hated to see the bill for their hours. I have on more than one occasion bought aftermarket things from him that I wasn't satisfied with and he re-imbersed me with full credit taking the product back. (( This was not any of his Clutch Kits for the record. )) I have used several of his clutch kits over the years and have to say that all of them have given me noticeable improvements. I find that everyone has a different goal in what they are looking for in their clutch kit. Some people straight line 600' and 1000' race, some people want Top End lake speed and others want responsive trail riding kits with great pull corner to corner and better back shift. Rick has always listened to my finicky needs and has made slight tweaks for me when I felt I needed it. He knows his shit and is the best Polaris mechanic that I know.

This has nothing to do with Rick but if there's one thing I've learned about tuning your sled performance in most cases there's personal preferences and what may shine the best one day may not be the best set up on a different day. We all choose different tracks, studs, skis, carbides, shocks, etc and the snow conditions we ride in are never the same. Some like the deep powder, some like the groomed trail and others like the hard pack straight run trying to hit 120mph. One thing in business that I've learned is that it is near impossible to make 100% of all your customers happy because not everybody has the same goals of expectancy in what they are looking for. "SOME PEOPLE ARE ALSO JUST SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE"

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
number one mouth runner. you never contacted us about getting your money back. not once. so who's the bullshit spreader now? it's well know your a pos. claiming one thing and doing another. you claimed your 2017 kicked the shit out of a doo 800. then two weeks later you said the sled was a pos and sold it a purchased a doo? the biggest iron dog race team at the time team #16 minnick and olstead tested about twenty clutch kits. these guys won this race 5 times. every bodys including goodwins. and picked ours. they were sick of Polaris race dept. not being able to set these up for success. they set a record that has not been beat to NOME the 1/2 point. were clocked on radar @ 105 on a loaded down 600 trail sled. public knowledge look it up. they crashed 50 miles out of NOME in a blizzard. were in first place at the time. they still got third. matter of fact every Polaris iron dog and cains quest sled that ran our clutching and other stuff. finished these races. not one DNF. so go pund sand they buddy. again don't spread lies here. you keep doing this i will sue you. AGIAN NOT ONCE DID YOU CONTACT US ABOUT A ISSUE OR WANTING YOUR MONEY BACK. NOT ONCE.
Please just stop you keep making yourself look bad over and over again. Not sure what your referring to as far as claims but you sold me a clutch kit for my 2018 Assault and when you were contacted regarding how it performed all I got was well maybe it doesn't work on the 2018's lol yeah great answer. You did zero testing on them but were happy to take money and never produced shit. That's a FACT. Your kit was NOT faster than a bone stock 2018 Assault FACT. Contacted you regarding it FACT, sold it to a new guy with disclaimer it didn't work on my sled FACT. He ran the kit and had same results FACT. So please stop the lies and spreading BS here.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Not trying to stick you in an argument of your knowledge because I know you are definitely a man that enjoys his riding as much as anybody. I have to ask you one question just because I'm curious where your thoughts are?
You say Polaris has the best clutching in the industry. Are you saying that when tuners start changing springs, weights or helix's there's no gains because Polaris stock clutching has already got the best thing going?

No for sure gains can be made but when you guys are being lead to believe that the clutching is NIGHT / DAY different that's just plain false. The factory does a fantastic job of clutching these sleds and truthfully unless your set on running a very specific setup or a different belt its very good. I personally change my clutching in order to run a softer more consistent belt (with a warranty) vs the OEM hockey pucks. But to think that the difference between a clutch kit and stock will win a cross country race is silly. Drag race yeah for sure good clutching FOR THE DAY will make or break you.

I'm no clutching guru but I have tried a few clutch kits. "GABES, SLP and RICK'S" I will say some are better than others. There's different stock sled models that aftermarket clutch kits have more to be gained with as well. So safe to say I've seen bigger smiles from some kits over others just on the model of sled I put the clutch kit on. Let's not forget that some stock sleds are better than others as well. Not all sleds off the showroom floor are created equal in my opinion. I have seen and witnessed that we do have our share of turds and over achievers. Shouldn't be this way but in my opinion every new sled is a roll of the dice. "Especially with new models!!"

I will say this about Rick. He has helped me with many of my sleds in basic tune ups as well as helping solve runnability issues and some of my performance aftermarket products I've used over the years. He has always treated me right. His charges for his work he has done has never been out of line or what I felt was expensive. He is way more thorough than any dealer and always does the job right and does the small things I never have asked of him to do because he knows what to do when he's digging in and around each particular project. I appreciate someone that simply does the job right rather than strictly sticking to only the job I asked for him to do. He knows quality when he see's it and quickly calls out shit just the same. I had one problematic sled that he spent many many hours on troubleshooting for me. When I got the sled back it was much improved and I was a much happier camper but it still had minor glimpses of the issues that we couldn't get 100% erased. When he billed me I felt bad because the bill was so small. He said he couldn't charge me for a lot of his hours because he didn't feel he erased all of the issue completely. It turns out that my sled had mapping issues and hidden bugs that I never really 100% got rid of. I had spent many trips to several Polaris dealers and each time I'd get my sled back and had the same old turd. Rick tuned my sled up to the point where I had little complaints and overall was satisfied with the huge improvements even though I could still every so often still feel a slight hic up of the original problems that had pissed me off to no end. I'm a pretty picky person and when swapping sleds with buddies everybody that got off my sled thought it was pretty dam sweet. He went above and beyond for me where dealers would never have offered there time to do for me and if they had I'd of hated to see the bill for their hours. I have on more than one occasion bought aftermarket things from him that I wasn't satisfied with and he re-imbersed me with full credit taking the product back. (( This was not any of his Clutch Kits for the record. )) I have used several of his clutch kits over the years and have to say that all of them have given me noticeable improvements. I find that everyone has a different goal in what they are looking for in their clutch kit. Some people straight line 600' and 1000' race, some people want Top End lake speed and others want responsive trail riding kits with great pull corner to corner and better back shift. Rick has always listened to my finicky needs and has made slight tweaks for me when I felt I needed it. He knows his shit and is the best Polaris mechanic that I know.

This has nothing to do with Rick but if there's one thing I've learned about tuning your sled performance in most cases there's personal preferences and what may shine the best one day may not be the best set up on a different day. We all choose different tracks, studs, skis, carbides, shocks, etc and the snow conditions we ride in are never the same. Some like the deep powder, some like the groomed trail and others like the hard pack straight run trying to hit 120mph. One thing in business that I've learned is that it is near impossible to make 100% of all your customers happy because not everybody has the same goals of expectancy in what they are looking for. "SOME PEOPLE ARE ALSO JUST SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE"
I believe Rick is a smart guy and has helped many with some of his innovations where the entire thing falls apart is the bullshit regarding the clutch kits. Like I said the kit never worked for shit for me or the next guy, I contacted and got a stupid answer. When someone is posting about how fast their sleds are especially 600's beating 800's I just laugh, I mean come on no one here was born yesterday. I have never seen a 600 anything that would hang with an 800 anything (except suzuki cat's). I have lined up thousands of times and any time a 600 gets in the mix its so far behind by 500' you can't even tell the make or model of it. That's where Rick gets himself in trouble. If he would just shut up about it and let his work do the talking he would be further ahead but then again when was the last time you saw a post bragging up North Star clutching? I sure haven't anywhere...except here by him. We hear about the timers all the time where is the data? Pics? Proof?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I’ve said this for years! None of them except goodwin have ever provided the et and mph data from testing. We hear Rick talk about timers all the time ever see the numbers? Rick had his chance in 18 with me to refund his useless clutch kit for my assault that wasn’t any faster than stock if not slower in et. His arrogance and refusal to admit it was junk along with the constant claims of his 6xx beating 8xx sleds are the reasons why he has zero credibility with me. I test all season against a mule and gps to ensure I post accurate info for everyone.

@caddisfly I could care a less about going to a drag race at all, and why should I go to him? His product didn’t work where I ride that’s on him to come prove otherwise. Same old snake oil just a different salesman. I’ve been ar forums over 20 years and seen all kinds of claims and flavors of the week. Believe me there is nothing special about his stuff. If you think a clutch kit is the reason a guy is faster than another racing xc then the factory would have the completely useless. I’m sorry Polaris has the best clutching in the business and I simply know better than that foolishness.
Well, tell us about your clutch kits and your clutching knowledge. I’m fairly good around clutching, and from my experience Rick’s clutching and gearing recommendations seem along the right lines of being a good set up. I have used some of his tips to help improve my set-ups. Have never bought a kit from him but appreciate his sharing of knowledge. And, I would have no problem of buying/trying one of his kits.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,555 Posts
Well, tell us about your clutch kits and your clutching knowledge. I’m fairly good around clutching, and from my experience Rick’s clutching and gearing recommendations seem along the right lines of being a good set up. I have used some of his tips to help improve my set-ups. Have never bought a kit from him but appreciate his sharing of knowledge. And, I would have no problem of buying/trying one of his kits.
Ricks knowledge and his ability as a sled mechanic are not in question, sure he runs a reputable shop and treats his customers great, and his “clutch kits” may offer some improvements over stock. But it’s the constant my sleds are faster than everyone else’s sleds that gets to me and others after a while. Not trying to bash him in any way but I have been in the lake race game for a long time and the true fast guy’s never brag.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Head over to the other Polaris forum and you can read all about what I tested all season and posted for free. Along with my GPS datalogger runs. No Bs claim real data ;) I have an Assault setup that made very nice gain both in performance and more importantly consistency.

·
Vendor
10,304 Posts
I believe Rick is a smart guy and has helped many with some of his innovations where the entire thing falls apart is the bullshit regarding the clutch kits. Like I said the kit never worked for shit for me or the next guy, I contacted and got a stupid answer. When someone is posting about how fast their sleds are especially 600's beating 800's I just laugh, I mean come on no one here was born yesterday. I have never seen a 600 anything that would hang with an 800 anything (except suzuki cat's). I have lined up thousands of times and any time a 600 gets in the mix its so far behind by 500' you can't even tell the make or model of it. That's where Rick gets himself in trouble. If he would just shut up about it and let his work do the talking he would be further ahead but then again when was the last time you saw a post bragging up North Star clutching? I sure haven't anywhere...except here by him. We hear about the timers all the time where is the data? Pics? Proof?
so here's the real facts. since 2015 model year. the first year we started to test and sell clutch kits again, after years of doing just sled repair. ( we sold clutch kits etc. back in the 90's) to date from 2015 3,446 clutch kits sold. out of this number only one complaint. ( you) now have we have issue's at times yes. always a number of calls on poor performing clutch kits. i will pick one in particular a moderator on this site from Canada. purchased one of our kits. it didn't perform as well as others. he called a number of times and i personally went over stuff to check etc. and it wasn't like it was a turd it did make a improvement to his sled. it just wouldn't pull rpm? i even sent another helix free to Canada. shipping id $55 dollars alone. it was a bit better but still not right. i told him there is a under lying issue with his sled i thought? he rode it the rest of the season he didn't want his money back he would try a couple different things. well low and behold he lost a pto crank seal. this was his issue. once fixed the sled ripped and the kit was spot on. we have had to switch some weights with guys etc. but in every case it was a sled issue. some were low compression etc. a clutch kit won't fix that. another thing we do is write down everyone who calls with issue's. you number is not in this book that we take very seriously. and if i remember right. you liked the sled and the clutch kit one week and then you didn't the next. sold it a bought a ski-doo? the very same kit sold to a number of guys on this site as yours's. very same. not one issue on the assaults. not one call. like i said it's not good to come on a open forum and say we stole your money or didn't buy back the kit etc. you never called us about a problem. pretty hard to make things right this way. so one guy out of thousands who love our kits is a pretty good record. and a lot have purchased 3+ kits from us. some for every new sled they buy.. repeat customers like this tell the story. and there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
my rush 800 with indy specialty long rod and light crank with the high speed drive shaft always struggled around 100mph, since your kit I hit 105 and I ran out of room! She was still climbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
This thread has gotten way off track. About 650 and aftermarket support guys. Not whose 800 or 850 is faster.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
This thread has gotten way off track. About 650 and aftermarket support guys. Not whose 800 or 850 is faster.
Personally think we’re going to see less and less engine mods except for maybe pipes and mufflers. With 4 year warranty offered on most engines now I fail to see the point in jeopardizing that. I was the guy who used to take brand new crated sleds straight to the dyno.
Even the factory clutching isn’t bad at all, guys lead on like it’s completely useless. My preference is softer belts like the Ultimax xs line and the Gboost line. So they must be reclutched for. Point being a clutch guy must be extremely savvy to make gains repeatable and measurable time and time again over the factory setup.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,555 Posts
Personally think we’re going to see less and less engine mods except for maybe pipes and mufflers. With 4 year warranty offered on most engines now I fail to see the point in jeopardizing that. I was the guy who used to take brand new crated sleds straight to the dyno.
Even the factory clutching isn’t bad at all, guys lead on like it’s completely useless. My preference is softer belts like the Ultimax xs line and the Gboost line. So they must be reclutched for. Point being a clutch guy must be extremely savvy to make gains repeatable and measurable time and time again over the factory setup.
That’s why I keep saying a good set of adjustable weights are the best bang for the buck on these new Polaris sleds.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,320 Posts
I'm happy with my SLP magnum force, but you cant go wrong with Dalton or Cutler's either.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts