Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i didn't want to have to buy any parts for my new sled. i'm jonesing , but not foolish. but it's to be expected. both have new sleds and here we sit.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
276 Posts
Things are about to improve!

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
758 Posts
Are they really riding or are they just sitting at the bar? Some just want to get out of the house for the day. I’ve had as much fun with my buddies during the drive up and back as I’ve had actually riding. Especially the first trip. Catching up, busting chops, etc.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are they really riding or are they just sitting at the bar? Some just want to get out of the house for the day. I’ve had as much fun with my buddies during the drive up and back as I’ve had actually riding. Especially the first trip. Catching up, busting chops, etc.
There is plenty of time for sitting at the bar after they throw that road rock up through there heat exchanger.

Last year, we met a couple of guys hanging out at the bar at Tuggers trying to get someone to take them and their sleds back to their trucks. One did a U-turn on the other side of a blind hill and the other smashed into him. Totaling 2 sleds, one sled was BRAND NEW, and neither had any insurance. You can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
the ride up has been just as much an adventure as riding. one morning we left real early for cranberry lake, but knew we would drive through snow. so we have 2 trucks, and i was in a titan that had a sled in the back, and 2 in the trailer. the 3 of us in the truck. we get outside warrensburg in a blizzard and we hit something and go airborne . truck, trailer, everything. it was like dumb and dumber but then we saw that wires were all across the road and we were heading right for them. so we get stopped, and the others did the same thing. so we all jockey around, and go back , warren county sheriff waiting for us and he is pissed. said we were flying and ran the barrels over. we said there were no barrels but we hit something. we get out and found that we hit the round rings that hold the barrels, and the barrels were already blasted by someone else. along with the flashing yellow lights that were covered with snow. we showed him that and he mellowed out. told us a detour. we got back in the truck and realized that it wreaked in there. gave us a good laugh for the day , and that day was fucked right on through till the next day

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Yeah it always seems like if something sets you off on the wrong path whether it be someone showing up late, sled problems in the parking lot, truck issues, etc. You may as well regroup and try for tomorrow. Seems like when you force it, something worse is bound to happen.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yeah it always seems like if something sets you off on the wrong path whether it be someone showing up late, sled problems in the parking lot, truck issues, etc. You may as well regroup and try for tomorrow. Seems like when you force it, something worse is bound to happen.
never force it. i wait for things to come to me. forcing a sled ride though happens. short season with serious addiction. weeded out all the late , unprepared guys. mostly just stickdude and myself, unless rynex and his wife jump on. we do have a few "guests" that jump on. more of the ready to go riders. not waiting in the morning or all day. welcome any time kind of riders. we show up ready. gas and oil full, sleds clean and looked over. we each have a system to make sure we have everything .

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Picked mine up saturday belt/plugs under hood. oil/gas full, spare tire/jack/lug wrench in trailer full of air 2 gallons of oil in trailer. Registered and insured today. Is that ready? Oh I forgot I still have to rain x helmet shield then I am ready to go!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
weeded out all the late , unprepared guys.
I know what you mean. Unless I know for sure that you did a full pre-season preventative maintenance on your machine, I will not invite you along. Nothing worse than having JUST one in your group, that holds everyone up, because he has a frozen shock because in the last 9 months he couldn't be bothered to rebuild his shocks, even though every one told him he was way overdue.

Personally, my favorite guys to ride with are dirt bike racers. They are mechanically competent, would rather ride than drink or smoke, have a reasonable level of fitness, they hard but safe, they like big miles, they don't get offended or complain about it being too cold out, the trails being too bumpy, it being late, the ride being too long, being lost, etc.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
NOTHING more frustrating then Guys who are not prepared for the day or not even ready to go when the snow hits....

Shit ive been ready since October. I just dont get the procrastination. Way too short of a season to not get your stuff ready ahead of time.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I know what you mean. Unless I know for sure that you did a full pre-season preventative maintenance on your machine, I will not invite you along. Nothing worse than having JUST one in your group, that holds everyone up, because he has a frozen shock because in the last 9 months he couldn't be bothered to rebuild his shocks, even though every one told him he was way overdue.

Personally, my favorite guys to ride with are dirt bike racers. They are mechanically competent, would rather ride than drink or smoke, have a reasonable level of fitness, they hard but safe, they like big miles, they don't get offended or complain about it being too cold out, the trails being too bumpy, it being late, the ride being too long, being lost, etc.
you mean like my boy with the zr 900 that had to come, but did nothing. i try to dodge them but i can't always. perfect wed am, tug hill first real ride. get 5 min from truck and he is not there. go back and he is yanking. zr900 doesn't yank easy. he changed plugs, nothing. so i had to tow him back . mind you i had a brand new belt . so i did , high speed. he never put his helmet on and it went flying . stick had to pick that up. by the end of the day we found out. acorns in the airbox got in the carbs. that's the shit i am talking about. one thing about that 900. fast as fuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
you mean like my boy with the zr 900 that had to come, but did nothing. i try to dodge them but i can't always. perfect wed am, tug hill first real ride. get 5 min from truck and he is not there. go back and he is yanking. zr900 doesn't yank easy. he changed plugs, nothing. so i had to tow him back . mind you i had a brand new belt . so i did , high speed. he never put his helmet on and it went flying . stick had to pick that up. by the end of the day we found out. acorns in the airbox got in the carbs. that's the shit i am talking about. one thing about that 900. fast as fuck
You guys ain’t kidding! I just thought it was me that thought this way since I’m a mechanic. I celebrated the 4th of July by starting my pre season maintenance. Pulled my skid and shocks out to send out. Maybe I’m not a dick after all!🤣🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
NOTHING more frustrating then Guys who are not prepared for the day or not even ready to go when the snow hits....

Shit ive been ready since October. I just dont get the procrastination. Way too short of a season to not get your stuff ready ahead of time.
Exactly!!!

My friend has a suspension business and you would not believe the amount of people that bring him shocks right when the trails finally open, and then expect him to turn them around in a day. He just now laughs and tells them it'll be 3 to 4 weeks, as the other Last Minute Lennys are in line in front of you.

I am going through my stuff, ski tip to snow flap, in starting in early October.

Can you imagine missing the whole season due an $8 part, on back order, that you could have ordered in July but didn't order until January???

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
You guys ain’t kidding! I just thought it was me that thought this way since I’m a mechanic. I celebrated the 4th of July by starting my pre season maintenance. Pulled my skid and shocks out to send out. Maybe I’m not a dick after all!🤣🤷‍♂️
i rebuild shocks. just did 12 last week. only at night and saturdays when i am not riding. these guys going to minnesota . the shocks were a disaster. 6k and never serviced. i finished them saturday, i think they are leaving thursday. cutting it close. but the springs were all adjusted different. one front had the clicker all the way up and the other in the middle. between my rebuilds and setting them up it will be like new machines. of course i can't completely set them up , but they are at least set up even. who knows , they may not even notice. i would feel that in 20 ft.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I really enjoy your videos sleepy, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Trail C5A a.k.a. Milk House Road connecting Turin to Brantingham has been permanently CLOSED. Please use trail C7B across from the Edge Hotel instead.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
so today we parked on smith road and went for it. went out around highmarket , back up mcgoldricks, down to talbots, rr bed, north-south , and towards redfield. all that was pretty decent. rr bed was one lane. not bad , just one lane. north to little john and that was real nice. approaching barnes corners was thin and not nice. we scratched our wat to tuggers , had lunch, and headed back to montague. rector was sweet as well as rowsam. did that one twice. took carey from flatrock, and faced a line of trucks all loaded up with sleds driving towards flatrock rd. ridiculous. worked our way back past the gorge and to talbots. down to mcgoldricks , flatrock , plumber, and back to smith . 133 miles/ the north stuff is too thin. towards redfield is better. we had freezing from after lunch all the way back. heated shield could only keep a little clear , which sucked riding the nice stuff. i used the scraper on my klim glove. there was a mix of sweet to rocky. stay south and it will be better

21 - 40 of 60 Posts