Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else know this guy? Anyone want to choke this guy? Anyone not want to ride with this guy?
My close friend drives me insane, yet he has never been towed home and I cant say that about anyone else we ride with.....including myself and I'm anal about maintenance.
About ten years ago I sold him my mint 2005 Polaris xcsp 700 knowing the life it was about endure.
It sits outside all year long on a skid under a tarp. Thats his idea of taking care of it. The only parts that get replaced are the ones that fall off. It sits where he last shut it off untill it's in the way of mowing the lawn, no fuel treatments or cleaning. He pulls the tarp off, tops the tank up and fires it up when the snow flies and says....ready to go.
A few days ago we pulled it out and it didnt want stay running on both cylinders. I told him to pull the plugs and both ground side electrodes were burned almost completely off....I dont know how it even fired. A little digging around in the trunk and he came up with some old used plugs I had as spares when I sold it to him. It fired right up and off he goes down the side road wide open. Big smile on his face he says....had to blow the rats nests out her is all....she's good to go.
I know from previous years he will need atleast a couple new idler wheels after the first ride or two, but that will likely be it for service after about 12,000 kms of abuse.
I guess it's a testament to one tough sled.

·
Registered
46,266 Posts
Those older carb liberty twins are pretty tough, and can get away with some of the maintenance these newer sleds need. I've done zero to my 05 600 the last few years except put gas and oil in it then fog it when the season was over. That sled fires right up and runs like new when needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I knew a guy like that, guy had lots of sleds and they just sit outside where he happened to shut it off. Everyone he ever owned just sitting there rotting away.. I went out years ago just to look and an old John Deere spit fire had a split seat and a seed from a tree fell in it and there is a 10’ tall tree growing out of the sleds seat…

Reactions: SHOOT2KILL2

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some times it just doesn't matter.... 2 years ago we did a week long trip to Lake Gogebic in Mich. I'll tell you what when I dropped the ramp on my trailer and backed out my 2008 Yamaha Vector they said OH BOY ! we have a winner... Meaning my sled would never make the week . So during the week We had a 2019 Ski doo 600 Etec with 900 miles on it . The guy brought his own gas and checked the oil every morning . 2nd day bottom of the case had a big hole in it . (2) 2015 Ski doo 1200X both had problems . Thank god we could get them fix during the rides . One took 3 hours and a cobble job but we got through. We did have a New Ski doo 900 Turbo run perfect . It was an adventure! Towing a Sled back to the Resort When the sun is shining and its a perfect day Sucks....

By the end of the week No one said a word about the Yamaha! even the 900 turbo guy couldn't believe how fast it was on top end . Mid week My buddie got out his 1200X turbo ( 400hp ) and spanked many Sidewinders that was fun . All he had to do was go into the Hoop'n Holler tavern and ask the sidewinder guys " Is that sled fast " and it was game on .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I tell ya what, I tried that trick with a Craftsman lawn mower. I was so sick and tired of doing “preventive maintenance” on all my stuff and have it break/fail/blow up anyways. So this née little mower had like a 20hp Briggs or something. I vowed never to touch it. That son of a gun made over a decade with no oil changes, only adding oil, replacement of some belts, and by the end of its life with me, was running strong. No fuel treatment, no filter changes, battery left in it all winter. Kept it under a tarp for winter. I sold it and still is running today.
Moral of the story, the most you take something apart, the higher likelihood things will fall apart quicker because you laid your hands on it. It’s crazy what these sleds (and other power sports) can endure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My uncle has a '91 Indy Trail and that thing sees ZERO maintenance. I used it for a couple seasons ('12-'13) and had to put new fuel lines on it, but it just runs and runs. No maintenance necessary. Storage process is to park on flat ground until it snows, then pull-n-go.

I wouldn't dream of that with my machines.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Im only going to comment on the fuel treatment part because the rest I absolutely believe in. As a rule I never use fuel treatment in anything I own, a few years ago Carquest had Stabil on sale so I figured WTH, I'll try it. I put it in all my winter stuff and summer stuff. No matter what it was NOTHING ran right the next time I went to use it. Ive never used the stuff or anything like it since and never had a problem. Maybe I had bad gas to begin with but its quite a coincidence.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
6 of us had trip planned. One guy had mid 2000’s Polaris 550. Said everything on carbs all cleaned up. With the grease and cattails on airbox it hasn’t been touched in years. He hadn’t rode it for 2-3 years.

Second day sled locked up and pulled out 13 miles to nearest road.

I think it burned down in lean condition mid range by not changing rpm

He took it in for repairs and told me the oil pump went out and needs to replace one piston. I asked what about other piston? “Oh that’s good, the second oil pump was working”.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Turns out that the place we fuel the sleds up at for the majority of our rides has bad gas. It's supposedly "non-ethanol". Well the fuel is NO GOOD...a fellow we know well who is also a mechanic (very well known actually) said that fuel is what killed my sled.

Now I'd like to warn others, but posting it on a public forum isn't how I'd like to warn people.

He said the increased detonation (I originally thought my clutch was behind the awful rattle) is what killed the bottom end.

$3000 dollars later....

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't believe in no maintenance but I do believe in over maintenance. I have friends that works on his sled constantly. I appreciate time in the garage working on my stuff as mush as anyone but when it's riding season, I'm riding. I don't care if my clutches need a cleaning or the belt is a little worn. I don't care if the suspension should have been greased last time after I got home late and didn't have time. I've run on hyfax that was questionable at times. When it's time to ride, it's time to ride. Season is too short.

And for the record I was only towed off the trail once almost 20 years ago after losing an argument with a tree. Never for a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
46,266 Posts
I tell ya what, I tried that trick with a Craftsman lawn mower. I was so sick and tired of doing “preventive maintenance” on all my stuff and have it break/fail/blow up anyways. So this née little mower had like a 20hp Briggs or something. I vowed never to touch it. That son of a gun made over a decade with no oil changes, only adding oil, replacement of some belts, and by the end of its life with me, was running strong. No fuel treatment, no filter changes, battery left in it all winter. Kept it under a tarp for winter. I sold it and still is running today.
Moral of the story, the most you take something apart, the higher likelihood things will fall apart quicker because you laid your hands on it. It’s crazy what these sleds (and other power sports) can endure.
Pretty much the same with my husquvarna lawn tractor, except it has the kawasaki twin in it. I change the oil, and filter every 3 years and put new blades about every 5. Never even changed the plugs, or air filter yet it runs like it did new...bought it in 2002. I put one battery in it i bought at tractor supply years ago. When i was looking at them at a local toro dealer, they said you'd be very lucky any lawn tractor as such last 10 years before needing replacement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone else know this guy? Anyone want to choke this guy? Anyone not want to ride with this guy?
My close friend drives me insane, yet he has never been towed home and I cant say that about anyone else we ride with.....including myself and I'm anal about maintenance.
About ten years ago I sold him my mint 2005 Polaris xcsp 700 knowing the life it was about endure.
It sits outside all year long on a skid under a tarp. Thats his idea of taking care of it. The only parts that get replaced are the ones that fall off. It sits where he last shut it off untill it's in the way of mowing the lawn, no fuel treatments or cleaning. He pulls the tarp off, tops the tank up and fires it up when the snow flies and says....ready to go.
A few days ago we pulled it out and it didnt want stay running on both cylinders. I told him to pull the plugs and both ground side electrodes were burned almost completely off....I dont know how it even fired. A little digging around in the trunk and he came up with some old used plugs I had as spares when I sold it to him. It fired right up and off he goes down the side road wide open. Big smile on his face he says....had to blow the rats nests out her is all....she's good to go.
I know from previous years he will need atleast a couple new idler wheels after the first ride or two, but that will likely be it for service after about 12,000 kms of abuse.
I guess it's a testament to one tough sled.
You know, I used be like that somewhat. Always stored my sleds in a garage under a proper cover and did spark plugs, belts, sliders and fluids. In my opinion sleds have evolved at an incredible rate and while I strive to be more proactive with my new sled some of the maintenance seems really daunting. I'm not really a guy who likes to rely on dealers too much, I'd much rather revel in the satisfaction that I could learn to do it on my own within reason. I think most (not all, especially the guy you're speaking of) try to stay up with at least the maintenance suggested in the manual but not all of us are as skilled. I mean even if you bought the service manual you still need to have a certain degree of mechanical aptitude to pull it off.

·
Registered
46,266 Posts
I don't believe in no maintenance but I do believe in over maintenance. I have friends that works on his sled constantly. I appreciate time in the garage working on my stuff as mush as anyone but when it's riding season, I'm riding. I don't care if my clutches need a cleaning or the belt is a little worn. I don't care if the suspension should have been greased last time after I got home late and didn't have time. I've run on hyfax that was questionable at times. When it's time to ride, it's time to ride. Season is too short.

And for the record I was only towed off the trail once almost 20 years ago after losing an argument with a tree. Never for a mechanical failure.
I've been towed a few times...every one for the sled motor blowing up. Fuji motors can't take the trashing i use to put to them. I can only remember blowing up a yamaha once, and that was my own fault getting greedy with the jetting.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a little bit of an alternate view. The fun for this guy is the riding, all that other stuff seems like work and who wants a hobby that is work-like? I am somewhere on the sliding scale between the OP and the guy he posted about. I try to make sure the major things are taken care of. I'm not mechanically gifted and don't have a garage to work on them in anyway so I bring them to a shop every other year. I don't beat on them and usually put on between 1000-1500 miles per year so this works for me.

I have a riding buddy that trailers to my house to ride from pretty often and he is always trying to push me to leave at the crack of dawn. I always tell him this is supposed to be an enjoyable activity, if I have to get up on a weekend earlier than I have to for work then it takes dome of the fun out of it. It's all about what you want to get out it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've been towed a few times...every one for the sled motor blowing up. Fuji motors can't take the trashing i use to put to them. I can only remember blowing up a yamaha once, and that was my own fault getting greedy with the jetting.
I believe on Nearly every sled I’ve owned, I’ve been towed. Only one was a 98 Xc600.
Let’s see: Indy 400, 500, Trail, XLT, 800 LE, Doo XRS, XCR800, 900 IQ. Those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Most of them consisted of major failures like a crank bearing, rod bearing that gave way and sawed the case in half, shearing off stator bolts, squeaking a piston, and more. When mine break, it’s usually the end of the motor. I’ve made a big jump to a nice RMK and has held together so far.

I’ve been given sleds that have saplings growing from them, clean the carbs, throw in new gas, and they roar to life. One thing I have learned, you have to know when maintenance isn’t an option anymore.

Let’s use the sapling example. Got it running good and was proving to be reliable. At that point, I am not going to pull the skid and go through it, or bang on the secondary to make it float. There comes a danger when you start doing maintenance. Things break like bolts; stuff is rusted together, bearings are not too smooth, but in order to “maintain”, it will end-up costing you a heck of a lot of time, heart ache, and money because you thoughtyou should take apart the whole front end to lube it. You really think you need to lube some suspension cross shafts? Yeah, good luck with that. Ride it until it doesn’t move anymore. Then do what you want with it.

So tell me this: Are we being brainwashed into thinking we have to do all this “maintenance” stuff and throwing money down the crapper as it doesn’t really make a difference? All just a ploy to buy crap and service stuff that doesn’t need it? I can’t recall anyone in our riding group that hasn’t been towed home. Shoot, I’ve had 3-4 sleds Grenade on the same road, only yards away from each other.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Same here. I like to sleep at least to 8 am ffs. And need to shake the cobwebs, have breakfast, and at least digest a bit. Plus being a woman yes I will admit I take a while getting my gear on lol

When we have company come up there are a couple people that wanna go out at the butt crack of dawn. I say "go right ahead" 😁

Lmk where you're headed and I'll catch up. But they never do...most of our visitors don't know the trails so they just have to wait. Lol.

I'm not a "mileage psycho" not anymore. If I ride 80 or 200 miles I'm good. I'm not in competition with anyone.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I believe on Nearly every sled I’ve owned, I’ve been towed. Only one was a 98 Xc600.
Let’s see: Indy 400, 500, Trail, XLT, 800 LE, Doo XRS, XCR800, 900 IQ. Those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Most of them consisted of major failures like a crank bearing, rod bearing that gave way and sawed the case in half, shearing off stator bolts, squeaking a piston, and more. When mine break, it’s usually the end of the motor. I’ve made a big jump to a nice RMK and has held together so far.

I’ve been given sleds that have saplings growing from them, clean the carbs, throw in new gas, and they roar to life. One thing I have learned, you have to know when maintenance isn’t an option anymore.

Let’s use the sapling example. Got it running good and was proving to be reliable. At that point, I am not going to pull the skid and go through it, or bang on the secondary to make it float. There comes a danger when you start doing maintenance. Things break like bolts; stuff is rusted together, bearings are not too smooth, but in order to “maintain”, it will end-up costing you a heck of a lot of time, heart ache, and money because you thoughtyou should take apart the whole front end to lube it. You really think you need to lube some suspension cross shafts? Yeah, good luck with that. Ride it until it doesn’t move anymore. Then do what you want with it.

So tell me this: Are we being brainwashed into thinking we have to do all this “maintenance” stuff and throwing money down the crapper as it doesn’t really make a difference? All just a ploy to buy crap and service stuff that doesn’t need it? I can’t recall anyone in our riding group that hasn’t been towed home. Shoot, I’ve had 3-4 sleds Grenade on the same road, only yards away from each other.
I think really "maintenance" should be the parts that "wear". Skags, hyfax. Now my sled mechanic doesn't usually check the fuel filter. (That's what he told my H).

The filter on my sled was packed with crap. And my H did a good run through of the sleds, the day we go to load the trailer (I heard it from inside the house btw) I hear a "death rattle" from my main ride. Now after close to 8000 miles I know what she's supposed to sound like at idle.

Meh. I'll be riding in a few days😁

·
Registered
46,266 Posts
When i was younger i was a maintenance freak. The sled had to be prepped perfect before every long ride. Now that i've gotten much older seems you could care less what needs to checked over, figuring you don't ride very much, so you let everything slide. I suppose the sled is at least due for studs as they were 99% worthless last year, and the trailing arms need new bearings as their fairly sloppy from beating the snot out of them 10 years ago. I could probably go on, and on, but i think i can get a few more season's out of it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I had a buddy who unfortunately passed away this summer and even though we rode together for years almost daily and he did so little maintenance at 10000 miles we talked him into a dealer general check up. Now he never did break down on the trail but when he got his sled back he phoned me and says he can’t believe how fast and responsive his sled was. I said what they do? He told me they put a new belt on it. Yep first belt change 10000 miles. Now that is just plain luck but some get away with it for a while but sooner or latter they will pay for it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts