Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent the last three days riding in the Indian River, Alanson, Harbor Springs, Mackinaw City area and have had two run in's with the Emmitt County sheriff's department. The first time they were pulling people over behind the Pellston airport and checking for registrations and trail permits. Less than one minute later we were back riding!!!! The second incident was within 100 yards of our cabin at Nub's Nob. We were running the side of the road (wrong side) but off the road heading to the cabin. We did get close to the shoulder a couple of times. They drove by in their truck and stopped us at the next driveway. As soon as they got out of the vehicle they checked our registrations and asked us the ride on the other side of the road so that we "would not confuse the traffic". These guys were GREAT and they sat there and talked with us about our sleds. THANK YOU!!!!! Let me mention that it was new years eve also!!!!!!

I have NEVER had such a profesional experience with an officer of the law as I did today!!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great to hear about the good ones!! I bet it happens more times than we'll ever know!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
So you were pulled over the first time for no other reason other than that they wanted to check registrations and thats a good thing?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
So you were pulled over the first time for no other reason other than that they wanted to check registrations and thats a good thing?[/b]
what is BAD about it? checking reg. is part of there job.... both parties were polite, back on the trail in less than a minute he said.
why is everyone so uptight about getting checked on the trail?

·
Registered
523 Posts
So you were pulled over the first time for no other reason other than that they wanted to check registrations and thats a good thing?[/b]
Does this sound similar to sitting in your boat fishing and have a wardens boat sidle up along side you to check registrations? It IS a good thing. As a Deputy Sheriff, I am glad to hear someone NOT bitch about having their paperwork looked over and after finding everything to be in order- be on your way. As a Deputy, I also am subject to the laws of my State. If I am riding my sled off duty and get stopped to check my registrations, I am not worreid. Not because I am a cop, but because all my paperwork is there. It's required-so what is the big f'in deal?

·
Registered
574 Posts
To me, I see being pulled over like that similar to a cop pulling you over in your car just to make sure you have a drivers license and insurance, aka not necessary.

·
Registered
563 Posts
To me, I see being pulled over like that similar to a cop pulling you over in your car just to make sure you have a drivers license and insurance, aka not necessary.[/b]
i agree with mx, if not doing anything wrong leave me f-ing alone, ben.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its not my intent to steal your thread, but I too had a pleasant encounter with a Antrim County deputy. My son was test riding a machine with a expired registration but I had a 15 day temporary reg. in my wallet. Antrim County Deputy stopped us near the Green Lantern and asked if owned the machine in question and I explained about the temporary reg. He said "okay. have a great day". I offered to produce the document and he said " if its not to much trouble"! The officer could have asked to see other documentation such as a safety cetificate for my son, of which I don't have. Instead, we sat there and bullshitted for five minutes about the cost of snowmobiling and boating. That officer could have made my day very unpleasant but instead he showed my son that they are kind and friendly. My hat is off to the Antrim County snowmobile officers!

Ollieskamp

·
Vendor
17,622 Posts
We spent the last three days riding in the Indian River, Alanson, Harbor Springs, Mackinaw City area and have had two run in's with the Emmitt County sheriff's department. The first time they were pulling people over behind the Pellston airport and checking for registrations and trail permits. Less than one minute later we were back riding!!!! The second incident was within 100 yards of our cabin at Nub's Nob. We were running the side of the road (wrong side) but off the road heading to the cabin. We did get close to the shoulder a couple of times. They drove by in their truck and stopped us at the next driveway. As soon as they got out of the vehicle they checked our registrations and asked us the ride on the other side of the road so that we "would not confuse the traffic". These guys were GREAT and they sat there and talked with us about our sleds. THANK YOU!!!!! Let me mention that it was new years eve also!!!!!!

I have NEVER had such a profesional experience with an officer of the law as I did today!!!!!![/b]
They are always behind the airport there and I agree they are very polite officers! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Read his post again....he said they were riding up the left side of the road (against the flow of vehicular traffic).... THAT got the attention for the stop.....

Glad to see someone post a positive for a change!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Its not my intent to steal your thread, but I too had a pleasant encounter with a Antrim County deputy. My son was test riding a machine with a expired registration but I had a 15 day temporary reg. in my wallet. Antrim County Deputy stopped us near the Green Lantern and asked if owned the machine in question and I explained about the temporary reg. He said "okay. have a great day". I offered to produce the document and he said " if its not to much trouble"! The officer could have asked to see other documentation such as a safety cetificate for my son, of which I don't have. Instead, we sat there and bullshitted for five minutes about the cost of snowmobiling and boating. That officer could have made my day very unpleasant but instead he showed my son that they are kind and friendly. My hat is off to the Antrim County snowmobile officers!

Ollieskamp[/b]
I think I know the deputy you are talking about in the snowmobile unit,and yes ,he is pleasant,concerned, and professional.There is always some one who is not ,but I think they are the minority. The good guys need to be told they are.

·
Premium Member
39,130 Posts
Being stopped to check your paperwork is a good thing, and is done in part to check for stolen sleds, or those who ride without paying their fair share by registering their sleds, I would never complain about the officers doing what they are paid to do, they are protecting the sport, most are good guys and sledders themselves, all you need to do is show some respect to them.

Don

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Great to hear some of the positive feedback! We usually only hear about the bad incidents which I'm sure are far fewer than the good ones.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It's for everybodys safty,If you don't have anything to hide whats the problem[/b]
I was with everyone until this comment was posted. That's a dangerous attitude to have. First, how is it for anyone's safety? There's nothing even remotely involved about safety. And how about if you dont have anything to hide, can I come rummage through your sock drawer? And install some security cameras in your house? You have nothing to hide right??

Sorry for the thread derail, but that comment is a huge pet peeve. Be very careful of that mentality, it's a quick way to lose most of your rights as a free citizen.

Having said that, glad to hear some positive stories with the officers now & again!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
good to hear!

I just got pulled over last night with a group of 7 sleds
out by Lum Rd and Summers Rd in the Imlay city / Lum area.
It started out a little sour, because he asked how I was, which I said good,
and Ii asked how he was and he said, "A lot better than you are"

I was like wtf? this one is going no where fast.

but then he ended up being a nice guy and letting us all go.
(after checking ID's and writing down names)

Right before we left he was like, "You guys got all your stickers?"
of course we said yes, and he didn't even bother to look.
(all but 2 of are retarded friends didn't have the updated registration/trail sticker)
(riding older POS machines)

He said we cannot ride on the sides of the roads at all, unless its a 'snow emergency'

But I've been riding the sides of the roads since 95 or so without any problems.
going right into town to fill up, with other local cops just waving or driving right by.

It's more of a cop preference around here.
If they prefer to be a asshole or prefer to be a nice guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was with everyone until this comment was posted. That's a dangerous attitude to have. First, how is it for anyone's safety? There's nothing even remotely involved about safety. And how about if you dont have anything to hide, can I come rummage through your sock drawer? And install some security cameras in your house? You have nothing to hide right??

Sorry for the thread derail, but that comment is a huge pet peeve. Be very careful of that mentality, it's a quick way to lose most of your rights as a free citizen.

Having said that, glad to hear some positive stories with the officers now & again![/b]

You are comparing the safety and maintenance of the trail to the 4th Amendment!? I see where you are going with this but I think it is a big stretch to be comparing the two. I agree it is for safety when they are checking to make sure minors have taken and passed their snow class and have the proper endorsements. I also like the fact that they check to make sure you have your stickers and in this case were quick and polite about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts