Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed how easy it is for anyone to own a Fire Cat and I wan`t to make my harder for people to own.

I was thinking a tether switch but was wondering if the ignition un plugged would it still start without the tether. Also I was wondering if it would be just as easy to unplug the wires on the tether?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't think a tether switch would help you.

There are a couple of easy options for security. One Expensive, one not as expensive.

First, add a motorcycle alarm, like Armed Guard on your snowmobile. I moved my motorcycle/snowmobile pager alarm on my Firecat, but haven't put the battery on it yet. This allows you to wire the sled to send you a page up to 700 feet away if the sled is tampered with. A cable used as a bike chain and switches for "lifting the hood" can be used with this system. The minute it's activated your pager goes off and once your pager goes off, it will continue to alarm or buzz on your belt until you reset it. Once you know someone is messing with your sled, you can get out there and find out what's happening.

Second, buy a bike cable and carry it and a paddlock with you. Lock your sled to your riding buddy's sled. Run the cable through the A-Arms (heck you can even park the sleds facing in opposite directions for additional security parked spindle to spindle). Most thefts are "joyride" related or pickups where a sled is picked up and thrown into a pickup truck. If you have your sled chained to a pals, the thief will probably move on to another sled or perhaps pick up a different sled as two don't lift very easily.

The other thing you may want to do is park away from easy access by motor vehicles if you stop by a local restraunt or bar (to eat lunch). It's easier to walk another 20 yards and have the sled away from a theiving pickup truck.

I'm sure there are other ways, but these are the easiest.

Greg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You can wire in a kill switch also. I'll investigate and let you know how.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
pull the plug out of the ecu, theifs are lazy and will move on to the next victim,
they dont have time to figure out why it wont start,
at night we pull are sleds at the lodge back into the four place enclosed and lock them up

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a new theft prevention system I saw in a magazine that installs behind your stator. I don't have the info right now but will try to find it. It is labour intensive to put in but also labour intense to try to bypass.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:blink: I'd tell you what I did but i gave out my serial number on a different post. Any more info and I might as well leave the sled idling at the end of the driveway for ya!! May I suggest going to yhe old forums, lots of info on this subject there :ph34r: :ph34r:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Kill switch is easy to install and will take time for a thif to figure out. I am still planning to carry around a cable and lock...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have have two ZR's and now a F7 and this is what I have done to keep them from being stolen. I put a paddle lock in one of the holes on the brake disk. I forget to take them out once in awhile and I garentee your sled is not going anywhere unless it is carried.

S

·
0 Posts
Remember guys All you have to do to steal it even with the tether is pull one ignition wire and away they go with your sled. I like the pad lock! Great Idea!

·
Registered
4 Posts
They can still pick up a sled with the brake padlocked and throw it in a pickup. A Kryptonite lock at night with several sleds is a better idea. Make yours harder to steal than the next guy's.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I put a toggle switch under the hood on the coil wire, if you dont no where it is you wont see it. Just flip the switch no spark no go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts