Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that this procedure will get it running again. You need to locate and reverse the fuel pump leads. There is a connector just to the right of the steering right under the cowl. It is a polarized connector so you will need some sort of jumper wires to do this.

By reversing the leads to the pump you are causing it to spin
backwards and you are pushing fuel into the valves instead of into the
rail.

1. Reverse leads
2. Pull the engine over about 4 to 5 times.
3. switch leads back to normal
4. Pull the engine over and start engine.

The engine should start the first or second pull on step 4. as long as you
have sufficient fuel in the tank. If you look into the tank the valves have
to be covered with fuel or this won't work.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I'll try it tonight. I'm going to make a jumper that I can carry with me at all times. I'm not going through what I went through last night trying to get it back in my garage. :angry:

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Where do you come up with this stuff Rob?!?! :p

I wish I had you around with me last weekend. I had to put up with a LOT of crap from a buddy on an XC800 who was anxiously waiting to race me! Instead I got to load the F7 up on the trailer and leave it sit all weekend :(

Definitely something to print off, or keep in mind. THANKS YET AGAIN ROB!

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Originally posted by ericsno@Dec 18 2002, 02:27 PM
Labontee what happened to your sled and how were the trails around ironwood
Ran it about 100 yards and it just plain died. To make a long story short, it was due to the smart valves being stuck shut. Dealer has ordered me the "updated" valve(s) with the vents, so she should be home before the weekend.

As far as the trails up by Hurley last weekend (Red Light Rally). One word ... HORSESH*T. Few trails with enough snow, and most with little and a LOT of big-ass rocks. Until they get more snow up there, the SW portion of the "YUPE" is out of the question. I think if you travel further E/NE you can ride ... but not around the Gogebic area.

Later,
Chris

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going back up around the 2nd or 3 rd of jan if it doesnt snow around here im getting my pull rope update tommorow ill ask about the valves id be pissed if i drive all the way up there and the sled doesnt start .Why do the vlaves lock up are they plugged or it just happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Dec 18 2002, 12:26 PM
that will definetly help while out on the trail
thanks rob, picture of these leads?
i know we ask alot of you!
here you go..

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Rob,

So when we reverse the leads, can that connector actually be disconnected and plugged in "backwards"? I wish I had access to my sled right now to test this, but I'm stuck asking questions until I pick my sled up. :wacko:

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by LabonteF7@Dec 18 2002, 02:54 PM
Rob,

So when we reverse the leads, can that connector actually be disconnected and plugged in "backwards"? I wish I had access to my sled right now to test this, but I'm stuck asking questions until I pick my sled up. :wacko:

Thanks in advance,
Chris
No, it's a polarized connector, meaning that it only goes together one way. You have to have two short pieces of wire that you can stick in the holes. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Anyone know the part numbers to the smarter (new and improved!) valves, or will there be a bulletin, update, or recall??? I'm asking, because it seems my dealer is usually the last person on Earth to be informed about this stuff! -- Roy

P.S. What's the easiest/best way to make a set of emergency jumpers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some might disagree, but I'd say a couple feet of thin (18gauge or so) wire and some electical tape. I guess you could use alligator clips too, but I'm not positive about that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I havent had a problem with the smart valves on my F7 yet. My dealer mentioned someone that had a problem with theirs. Dealer said he fished the valve out of the tank with a bent coat hangar and then he showed me how the diaphram looked like a collapsed lung. He pushed on the middle of of it and it filled back up with air. He said that was all it took to get it running again. He said Cat engineering was supposed to working on a fix for it. He mentioned something about his own fix and drilling a small hole in the back of it in the black plastic. I am not going to do that but I might carry a coat hangar with me in case the valves ever do act up like that. Just thought I would share that tidbit as in might be useful to someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you don't need a coathanger on the firecat...the cap is large enough to stick your hand in and pull them out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rob (or anyone) - I only have 60 miles on my F7 - so far, so good. Is this a problem only with the first tank of pre-mix or could this happen anytime? I imagine anytime, otherwise you would not be taking time with the rig you made.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Couple answers for you guys. First of all, the part number for the "new and improved" smart valves is 1670-460. The description is "Pickup Fuel - vented". Hope that helps.

And Hockeyfan ... it happens at any point. I had 302 miles on my sled when it happened to me last weekend. I know it sucks, but I think the "new" valves will eliminate the problem altogether.

Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
So all a guy has to do is keep two pieces of wire, stick them in one connector, and 'cross' over the wires to the opposite wire? I am not looking at the sled now, but will look later. I can see why the tank would have to have gas in it, as the diaphragms have to have some resistance on the back side? I have not looked in my tank yet - I know I need to, to make sure my line(s) aren't kinked. Only have 60 miles on, and I have not had my sled die like others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by hockeyfan@Dec 18 2002, 04:38 PM
Rob (or anyone) - I only have 60 miles on my F7 - so far, so good. Is this a problem only with the first tank of pre-mix or could this happen anytime? I imagine anytime, otherwise you would not be taking time with the rig you made.
it can happen anytime that the smart valve pickup is uncovered in the tank. :eek: :huh: :mellow: :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by LabonteF7@Dec 18 2002, 04:44 PM
Couple answers for you guys. First of all, the part number for the "new and improved" smart valves is 1670-460. The description is "Pickup Fuel - vented". Hope that helps.

And Hockeyfan ... it happens at any point. I had 302 miles on my sled when it happened to me last weekend. I know it sucks, but I think the "new" valves will eliminate the problem altogether.

Chris
Labonte, did your dealer say if they are covering this on warranty (Free replacement?)

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Rob ... I didn't even think to ask that question, because I assume it's covered!?!? I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be covered, but I can find out for sure and update you guys. Probably won't be until tomorrow though ... I'm going to be leaving shortly, and have some stuff I have to do tonight.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Chris

1 - 20 of 37 Posts