Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 MXZ 670 that came with a temp light and wondering if it is worth installing a gauge instead. A friend of mine put a gauge in his machine (not a Skidoo) and loves it. I was told that my light would come on before the engine overheats so l would have time to shut it off or run in more snow. I am not even sure what the spec is for snowmobiles and what temp they run at before they get too hot. I know they do not get as hot as a car, but seriously any one out there got any advise before l make my own decision. It doesn't matter to what kind of sled you have or at least l don't think it really matters. Appreciate any advise you have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I asked about this on another board and this is what i got starting with my post.
Got another one. I notice some HO's and T.H.'s came with a temp and fuel guage. Havn't really paid attention under the hood put would there be plugs under the hood they'd go right into and work? I notice the spots are there in my hood to cut out so thats easy enough.[/b]
it didnt come factory with them, but lots of dealers/owners put them in. the plugs are there for them yes but youll need the gauge and sending unit in the head for the temp. it looks the same as the one in there, but its for a gauge, not a light. same thing with the fuel tank. youll need a sending unit and gauge. you might find some NOS kits somewheres, otherwise you can piece it from a salvage sled/shop[/b][/quote]

Was gonna ask that but forgot. If theres a unit of some sort that you wont have if it didnt come with the gauges.[/b]
the harness is going to be the same as whats in your sled. other than the gauges, which are in the hood, you need the temp senso which is probably in the head of the engine that it came out of. same goes for the tank. sending unit goes in the tank. your harness has all required plugs. as does the TH because its the same harness[/b]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked about this on another board and this is what i got starting with my post.
it didnt come factory with them, but lots of dealers/owners put them in. the plugs are there for them yes but youll need the gauge and sending unit in the head for the temp. it looks the same as the one in there, but its for a gauge, not a light. same thing with the fuel tank. youll need a sending unit and gauge. you might find some NOS kits somewheres, otherwise you can piece it from a salvage sled/shop[/b]
I appreciate your response. I did find the plugs and or wiring harness under to plug into the guage, have not noticed the hole where to cut out on dash but if not there l did buy a guage kit that came with a sending unit and will just have to get a proper drill bit to dril the hole. I am quessing it is probably better with the guage as the deaker l baught the gauage from says at least you can moniter your temp like a car more accurately. the kits are very expensive but have not found a used one near where l live. Besides l am a bit leary buying something electrical used for different reasons. The last owner also put an electric fuel gauge and sending unit in the machine. After buying two years ago l found the gauge did not read. I asked various peole and dealers how to check it all our to know what is wrong. I checked the sending unit with an ohms meter pulling up and down on the sending unit and got some readings, the fuse is okay and the gauge spiked as one dealer said use jumper wires and connect to the gauge and it spiked. Got tired of trying to figure it out and bought a manual stick for it. They are very expensive to fix as well. Got any ideas on those? So in the end you preferr temp guages over light yourself or whatever. THNKS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts